Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The next step is to wipe the machine clean and install an older version of Ubuntu, like 15.04 or 14.04. Cause we need to install AMD Catalyst, and that doesn't work in 16.04. We need to report a bug to the mesa people, cause I know from another laptop that AMD APU graphics don't work with Mesa/Gallium drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The next step is to wipe the machine clean and install an older version of Ubuntu, like 15.04 or 14.04. Cause we need to install AMD Catalyst, and that doesn't work in 16.04. We need to report a bug to the mesa people, cause I know from another laptop that AMD APU graphics don't work with Mesa/Gallium drivers.
    Personally I rather be on windows so would it be worth it to try win7 again with Catalyst drivers? Only reason I didn't stick to win7 was because I wanted to just put win10 on here.

If not I could try another version of Ubuntu but like I said I had the same issues in Win10. Win 10 used crap default drivers.

Edit: I really didn't test win7, just used it to go to win10. When I got the Laptop its original OS (Win 8 was 100% fucked) so I did I clean install.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-18 at 08:28 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 12.1.0-devel (git-b214e0d 2016-06-18 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
    Also its the most recent Xubuntu I know since I downloaded it yesterday just can't remember the version number.

To add if I wait long enough I can hear twitch video fine but playback shutters.
    We need to make sure 3D is working. There are other things we can do to improve video playback. But first things first.

Code:
     glxinfo | grep direct
    If you see.
    direct rendering: Yes
    Congrats, 3D is working. If not, then we need to do something about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I rather be on windows so would it be worth it to try win7 again with Catalyst drivers? Only reason I didn't stick to win7 was because I wanted to just put win10 on here.

If not I could try another version of Ubuntu but like I said I had the same issues in Win10. Win 10 used crap default drivers.

Edit: I really didn't test win7, just used it to go to win10. When I got the Laptop its original OS (Win 8 was 100% fucked) so I did I clean install.
    Why couldn't you just use Windows 7 drivers in Windows 10? Usually you can do that.

Why couldn't you just use Windows 7 drivers in Windows 10? Usually you can do that.
    Because I was clearly blind and didn't see there was a choice on the website to change what OS I was on and download those drivers LOL.

Seems there is only drivers for Win 8 and 8.1 It says if you want to use Win 10 just download the default drivers.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5449995

Edit: If Need be I can always try Win10 again and fuck around with drivers. I would rather be on windows with this laptop.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-18 at 08:35 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I was clearly blind and didn't see there was a choice on the website to change what OS I was on and download those drivers LOL.

Seems there is only drivers for Win 8 and 8.1 It says if you want to use Win 10 just download the default drivers.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5449995

Edit: If Need be I can always try Win10 again and fuck around with drivers. I would rather be on windows with this laptop.
    I would just get the drivers from AMD's website. These drivers should work.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64

I would just get the drivers from AMD's website. These drivers should work.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64
    Ok will do and thx for all the help by the way. One reason I tested linux was because of the reviews of it being a shit CPU. Figured I would use a low performance required OS and test things. So since I am having the same issue I rather just be on windows.

I was like no fucking way my phone runs better then this LOL.

Like Duke said, most likely a driver issue with Xubuntu. Give Windows 10 a shot and pull the video drive from wither AMD or HP's site. Big problem with those machines is the E-300 CPU which is bottom of the barrel slow but still it should be able to play Youtube and Twitch without many issues but the machine will be a bit slow. Granted I've found 10 to run great on machines like this one or running Ubuntu/Mint but you've tried that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Like Duke said, most likely a driver issue with Xubuntu. Give Windows 10 a shot and pull the video drive from wither AMD or HP's site. Big problem with those machines is the E-300 CPU which is bottom of the barrel slow but still it should be able to play Youtube and Twitch without many issues but the machine will be a bit slow. Granted I've found 10 to run great on machines like this one or running Ubuntu/Mint but you've tried that already.
    Will do, No clue why it never crossed my mind to pull a driver from the AMD site. If anything I have spent over 10hrs on this laptop in two days so thats my $50 worth LOL.

Question? If the issue keeps happening what could it be then?

Honestly if it still has problems I'd test the HDD, if that drive is failing in any way it'll cause all kinds of weird issues from freezing to just being slow or even issues using your browser etc. I'd also run memtest86 as well due, other than that you could have a faulty motherboard since I believe the CPU/GPU are integrated together.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Honestly if it still has problems I'd test the HDD, if that drive is failing in any way it'll cause all kinds of weird issues from freezing to just being slow or even issues using your browser etc. I'd also run memtest86 as well due, other than that you could have a faulty motherboard since I believe the CPU/GPU are integrated together.
    K will do. I hope if it is the memory its just one of the 4gigs in it.

I knew it being used I could have issues. The pawnshop was selling it for $100 but went to $50 since the OS broke lol.

Figured it mite be a cheap simple fix and I get a somewhat ok laptop out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Put win10 on did the driver in the link above and the video is still shuttering. The temp is sitting around 59c while doing installs and what not.

I am doing a memory test right now, how would I test the HD?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would try different web browsers and switch between HTML5 and Flash. Sometimes HTML5 player uses a lot more CPU than Flash. Try switching it to flash and try again.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

I would try different web browsers and switch between HTML5 and Flash. Sometimes HTML5 player uses a lot more CPU than Flash. Try switching it to flash and try again.

https://www.youtube.com/html5
    I tried edge on win10 and same issue. At this point I am really just thinking I got a dud lol. Taking a break from it and will deal with it tomorrow.

Will update the thread then, thanks for the help

Overall the performance is choppy at lease it feels like it. Also the whole time it ran near 60c and a couple times above.

if I was you I would just let it run all the windows updates b4 judging it's performance, you might be surprised.

While it is by no means a good laptop, it should run better then it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    if I was you I would just let it run all the windows updates b4 judging it's performance, you might be surprised.

While it is by no means a good laptop, it should run better then it does now.
    On my original install of Win10 it was fully updated.

You could improve the performance by giving it some red bull. I hear that shit can make you fly... Of course, I also got a check from them for falsely advertising that so maybe just don't buy used pieces of shit in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    You could improve the performance by giving it some red bull. I hear that shit can make you fly... Of course, I also got a check from them for falsely advertising that so maybe just don't buy used pieces of shit in the future.
    Thanks for the Usless tip.

I knew what I was getting into kinda why I didn't pay much for it.

Now giving the problem it had and the problem It has now was two different things.

Thanks for the Usless tip.

I knew what I was getting into kinda why I didn't pay much for it.

Now giving the problem it had and the problem It has now was two different things.
    You paid too much still. Sorry to point out how stupid you were, but you would have been better off shoving that money up your ass and lighting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is a 1.3 Ghz CPU, which is probably not enough to playback YouTube without assistance from the GPU. Can the GPU help accelerate videos? That's something I would double check Catalyst settings to make sure. Cause for some reason, Catalyst doesn't enable video acceleration by default.

I wouldn't use Edge. Use FireFox and make sure flash is set for YouTube and 3D acceleration is enabled for flash. You can check by right clicking a YouTube video and look for the check box for 3D acceleration.

Another thing to look at is the power adapter. Is it an OEM power adapter? I ask this cause I know HP laptops like a specific wattage, otherwise the CPU throttles. Ask me how I know this. I think it needs at least 65w, but I'm not sure. I would check first to see if the charger is still OEM or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket, that's a clue.

The thing is at lease on this linux, only way I can get videos to load and play decent is if I run them in 480p or less. I just figured my issue is due to it being a shit CPU. Playing anything on Twitch even in mobile quality is impossible.

IMO its so shit from what I have seen of reviews (after I bough it) I don't see how it was legal to sell it LOL.
    Any processor made today are capable of full HD playback. That processor may be a couple of years old but there should be no issue with playback of full HD at all. You would be right to expect youtube to be able to play with no issues. Used hardware may actually be slightly damaged so it doesn't perform as well.

One thing you could try is right click on the you tube video and disable hardware acceleration. AMD uses a hybrid system when it uses graphics/video where it uses the processor and the graphics to play video/play games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Well, it is a 1.3 Ghz CPU, which is probably not enough to playback YouTube without assistance from the GPU. Can the GPU help accelerate videos? That's something I would double check Catalyst settings to make sure. Cause for some reason, Catalyst doesn't enable video acceleration by default.

I wouldn't use Edge. Use FireFox and make sure flash is set for YouTube and 3D acceleration is enabled for flash. You can check by right clicking a YouTube video and look for the check box for 3D acceleration.

Another thing to look at is the power adapter. Is it an OEM power adapter? I ask this cause I know HP laptops like a specific wattage, otherwise the CPU throttles. Ask me how I know this. I think it needs at least 65w, but I'm not sure. I would check first to see if the charger is still OEM or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket, that's a clue.
    Its OEM and when I was using Linux I used firefox to check the video. Give me a moment and ill see if Catalyst has a accelerate video choice.

Edit: I take that back it is a aftermarket charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Any processor made today are capable of full HD playback. That processor may be a couple of years old but there should be no issue with playback of full HD at all. You would be right to expect youtube to be able to play with no issues. Used hardware may actually be slightly damaged so it doesn't perform as well.

One thing you could try is right click on the you tube video and disable hardware acceleration. AMD uses a hybrid system when it uses graphics/video where it uses the processor and the graphics to play video/play games.
    ill give that a try but the thing is its twitch as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    You paid too much still. Sorry to point out how stupid you were, but you would have been better off shoving that money up your ass and lighting it.
    If you got nothing useless to post then post nothing.

Yes I spent $50 and took a gamble and I really don't care.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-19 at 12:58 AM.