Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    "Rape Culture is an environment in which rape is prevalent and in which sexual violence against women is normalized and excused in the media and popular culture."

"In feminist theory, rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality. The sociology of rape culture is studied academically by feminists. There is disagreement over what defines a rape culture and as to whether any given societies meet the criteria to be considered a rape culture."
    [/url]
    Where the fuck is rape "normalized" or "excused?"
    I don't think this place exists unless we are talking about people who are operating as fugitives.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    ITT.

0% of people die from alien abduction.

Enter guy: "That figure doesn't take into account unreported alien abductions"
    Clearly we live in an Alien Abduction Culture

Victims of alien abduction are often not believed and are asked to provide evidence of their abductions = victim blaming #listenandbelieve
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-06-19 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still do not quite understand what "rape culture" is, but if I get it correctly, then the statement that "rape culture doesn't exist" doesn't make any sense: it always exists on some level. Saying "rape culture doesn't exist" is the same as saying "the culture of corruption doesn't exist": even in countries like New Zealand, with stunningly low corruption rates, there still exists a culture of promoting corruption in certain organizations and circles of people.

Here is an example just from these forums. There was a thread recently on whether females should be allowed to walk topless. A lot of folks said, "Sure, if you want to walk topless, feel free to, but then don't complain when you get raped". Our culture leads some people to this kind of reasoning. Same way as some folks say about, now, males, "Well, you committed a crime. Now you deserve to be in jail with rapists". If anything is "rape culture", this is.

Of course it exists. Is it a widespread problem? I don't think so; very few people seem to think that way nowadays, and they mostly express their crappy opinions on the Internet, since in real life no one tolerates them. Is it a problem still? On some level, yes. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it though, when we have much more global problems affecting everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

India has legalized rape for a long long time, where husbands can force their wives to sex at any time/way.

In some muslim countries getting raped is a crime for the woman, since she had sex outside of marriage and can be killed for it.

Overall in many many eastern and southern countries the raping of women and children is a rather common and every day thing.

Most girls get raped or otherwise forced into sex by the time they are 15 years of age, and that practice continues daily until they are... old or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I still do not quite understand what "rape culture" is, but if I get it correctly, then the statement that "rape culture doesn't exist" doesn't make any sense: it always exists on some level. Saying "rape culture doesn't exist" is the same as saying "the culture of corruption doesn't exist": even in countries like New Zealand, with stunningly low corruption rates, there still exists a culture of promoting corruption in certain organizations and circles of people.

Here is an example just from these forums. There was a thread recently on whether females should be allowed to walk topless. A lot of folks said, "Sure, if you want to walk topless, feel free to, but then don't complain when you get raped". Our culture leads some people to this kind of reasoning. Same way as some folks say about, now, males, "Well, you committed a crime. Now you deserve to be in jail with rapists". If anything is "rape culture", this is.

Of course it exists. Is it a widespread problem? I don't think so; very few people seem to think that way nowadays, and they mostly express their crappy opinions on the Internet, since in real life no one tolerates them. Is it a problem still? On some level, yes. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it though, when we have much more global problems affecting everyone.
    "In feminist theory, rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality. The sociology of rape culture is studied academically by feminists."

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jha...ureSummers.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Your claim that rape culture exists because "unreported rapes are hundreds of percentage points more frequent than the 1% of reported rapes" (that's how you could get an overall rape rate of more than 2%)

This is in essence the "God put the fossils there to test us" response to the fossil record, or the belief that any imperfection in the data means you can just invent data to replace it

There is no rape culture in the west at all, whether in numbers of rapes or the attitudes we have towards rape and rape victims

It's a horrible conspiracy theory created by a hate movement
    Who do you think this hate movement is aimed at?

I've already linked two different studies that but rapes and sexual assaults at 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 women. If you can link any evidence to refute that go right ahead, but linking reported rapes only does no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    Who do you think this hate movement is aimed at?

I've already linked two different studies that but rapes and sexual assaults at 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 women. If you can link any evidence to refute that go right ahead, but linking reported rapes only does no such thing.
    That's literally your problem. There is no way of substantiating your claims.

I could link extremist documents that suggest no woman has ever been raped ever and claim it was the truth, but it doesn't make it the truth.

The 1 in 5 and 1 in 6 numbers are made up. I broke this down for you repeatedly and your only response was to say officially recorded figures are made up. If official numbers are made up, yours are the things of pure fantasy, next to charts of how many dragons still exist in UFOs, inside our hollow Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Where the fuck is rape "normalized" or "excused?"
    I don't think this place exists unless we are talking about people who are operating as fugitives.
    agreed it is never openly in most of are countries. it is a intresting concept though

it shouldnt really be called rape culture rather rape psyhcolgy or go under a existing umbrela. it does have merit in asking how does commiting this tabboo come about.

but the people who currently study this are extremists so dont get anwsers

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    That's literally your problem. There is no way of substantiating your claims.

I could link extremist documents that suggest no woman has ever been raped ever and claim it was the truth, but it doesn't make it the truth.

The 1 in 5 and 1 in 6 numbers are made up. I broke this down for you repeatedly and your only response was to say officially recorded figures are made up. If official numbers are made up, yours are the things of pure fantasy, next to charts of how many dragons still exist in UFOs, inside our hollow Earth.
    Extremists such as the Center for Disease Control, Politifact, and the President of the United States?

I never once said the numbers were made up, you said that. Do not but words in my mouth please. I explained that the numbers you posted and the numbers I posted were tracking different things and thus couldn't be directly compared.

Btw, there were roughly zero white people convicted of murdering black people in the Jim Crow South. Using your logic, if we inflate the number by doubling it (something that is never done in statistics, that fact that you think you can tell anything by doing this is wrong), that's still probably less than 10 murders. Good to know hardly any black people were ever lynched!

Anyway, what is most revealing about your obsession over a single statistic is the discussion you don't want to have, the one about how people in our society react to rape. So I have to ask, what is it about that question that makes you so angry?

Extremists such as the Center for Disease Control, Politifact, and the President of the United States?

Btw, there were roughly zero white people convicted of murdering black people in the Jim Crow South. Using your logic, if we inflate the number by doubling it (something that is never done in statistics, that fact that you think you can tell anything by doing this is wrong), that's still probably less than 10 murders. Good to know hardly any black people were ever lynched!
    THANK YOU. You just destroyed your own, entire argument.

IF, doubling statistics is never done, HOW, can you insinuate that 8000 people at 1 in 6 being polled can be inflated to 50 million people in America? You've just specifically stated that you can't double statistics, so how can you take the unverified claims of 8000 people and say they speak for 300,000,000?

Thank you again and good night to your argument.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rape is a felony.

That's all the proof you need that this whole 'rape culture' is pure bullshit
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

India is a good example if you want to talk about rape culture. Large parts of Indias population believe that the rape victim is to blame if she wore skimpy clothing or traveled without a male companion. Rape culture often refer to the fact that some people excuse the behavior of rapists, by saying that the victim was to blame for one reason or another.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2016-06-19 at 10:18 PM.

"In feminist theory, rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality. The sociology of rape culture is studied academically by feminists."

Based on your definition btw, the total number of rapes in the US is beside the point. As I've pointed out before, , you're trying to steer the debate away from the real topic.

As we've seen in this forum, in the Brock Turner case, in countless other cases, in detailed reports by the US military, rape is often rationalized and normalized. For those of you who condemn this phenomenon in other countries but not your own, keep in mind that they don't consider them "rape" cases either, but will blame promiscuity, alcohol, or other convenient scapegoats, such as the recent case in Qatar. I'm not here to attack anyone. I responded to a question and I hoped to start a rational conversation, and maybe dispel a few misconceptions and open a few closed minds. If you are offended by what I have to say, that's your choice.

Based on your definition btw, the total number of rapes in the US is beside the point. As I've pointed out before, , you're trying to steer the debate away from the real topic.
    Thanks again for conceding that you don't have a grasp on numbers and have to make emotional appeals, over informed statistical and verified conclusions.

THANK YOU. You just destroyed your own, entire argument.

IF, doubling statistics is never done, HOW, can you insinuate that 8000 people at 1 in 6 being polled can be inflated to 50 million people in America? You've just specifically stated that you can't double statistics, so how can you take the unverified claims of 8000 people and say they speak for 300,000,000?

Thank you again and good night to your argument.
    Take a statistics course because that was gibberish. Randomly doubling a number is not the same as conducting a sample survey for a larger population.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for conceding that you don't have a grasp on numbers and have to make emotional appeals, over informed statistical and verified conclusions.
    What part of my argument do you consider an "emotional appeal?" I really want to know and I don't want to make assumptions that put words into your mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brob View Post
    agreed it is never openly in most of are countries. it is a intresting concept though

it shouldnt really be called rape culture rather rape psyhcolgy or go under a existing umbrela. it does have merit in asking how does commiting this tabboo come about.

but the people who currently study this are extremists so dont get anwsers
    That's a very interesting point and I'm glad to see someone post something that isn't just talking in circles. Rape psychology might be another way to describe it. The question is if this term would create more confusion or less. How about this as a working definition, rape psychology is:

1. the mindset of the rapist about committing the crime.

2. the mindset of the victim about reporting the crime.

3. the cultural context in which parts 1 and 2 are formed.

Just an idea I had, I'm by no means saying this should be dogma

Take a statistics course because that was gibberish. Randomly doubling a number is not the same as conducting a sample survey for a larger population.
    Applying a sample of 8000 to 300,000,000 is literally the same thing. It's called extrapolation. In your case, it's impossible to validate or verify, because the sample range is beyond minuscule in comparison to the target size.

What part of my argument do you consider an "emotional appeal?" I really want to know and I don't want to make assumptions that put words into your mouth.
    This:

As we've seen in this forum, in the Brock Turner case, in countless other cases, in detailed reports by the US military, rape is often rationalized and normalized. For those of you who condemn this phenomenon in other countries but not your own, keep in mind that they don't consider them "rape" cases either, but will blame promiscuity, alcohol, or other convenient scapegoats, such as the recent case in Qatar. I'm not here to attack anyone. I responded to a question and I hoped to start a rational conversation, and maybe dispel a few misconceptions and open a few closed minds. If you are offended by what I have to say, that's your choice.
    You literally can't prove it, so you have to spread your argument around and make it seem like it's prevalent, when it's not.

Applying a sample of 8000 to 300,000,000 is literally the same thing. It's called extrapolation. In your case, it's impossible to validate or verify, because the sample range is beyond minuscule in comparison to the target size.

Sorry but this is just wrong. If the survey is conducted correctly, the size of the population in proportion to the sample size is irrelevant. All that matters is that the sample itself is of sufficient size for a given confidence interval. A sample of 8000 is just as good for a population of 80,000, 8 million, or 8 hundred million.

- - - Updated - - -

You literally can't prove it, so you have to spread your argument around and make it seem like it's prevalent, when it's not.

Except that I have proven it with concrete examples. It is something that happens, this is undeniable given the facts, or given basic logic. Read the transcript of the judge's decision in the Brock Turner case if you don't believe me. Again, I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying I have to prove that this happens in every single rape case or else I'm not allowed to talk about the cultural context in which rapes happen?

Sorry but this is just wrong. If the survey is conducted correctly, the size of the population in proportion to the sample size is irrelevant. All that matters is that the sample itself is of sufficient size for a given confidence interval. A sample of 8000 is just as good for a population of 80,000, 8 million, or 8 hundred million.
    You fail maths 101.

https://select-statistics.co.uk/blog...t-sample-size/

Real world figures show stats around the 100,000 mark, over and over, year on year for rape statistics. Your 1 in 6 quote would mean 50,000,000 people a year are raped. Just think about that for a minute. You're suggesting a population the size of the entire UK is raped, every, year in the US.

Excuse me, while I go laugh hard for a while.

10+ Year Old Account

This definition is really-really vague. Of course rape in most countries (probably in all of them) is not "pervasive" and "normalized", making this definition moot, and "rape culture" non-existent. However, I get the impression that people by this mean something else usually, since they apparently are talking about something that does exist.

Even in countries like Saudi Arabia, where women are almost like slaves, rape is a crime. Of course, the definition of rape there is much stricter than on the West; for example, as far as I know, in Saudi Arabia consent is not required for husband to have sex with his wife, so you could call it rape, I guess. However, rape as in "attack a random stranger on the street and force sexual act with them" is not normalized anywhere on this planet and is everywhere a crime, both from the legal and social standpoint.

The term is just stupid. Call it "sexism", plain and simple. No need to come up with all these horrifying terms that do not mean anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

You fail maths 101.

https://select-statistics.co.uk/blog...t-sample-size/

Real world figures show stats around the 100,000 mark, over and over, year on year for rape statistics. Your 1 in 6 quote would mean 50,000,000 people a year are raped. Just think about that for a minute. You're suggesting a population the size of the entire UK is raped, every, year in the US.

Excuse me, while I go laugh hard for a while.
    I'm not trying to be rude but no, that is wrong. It would mean that a little over 25 million, not 50 million, have been raped or sexually assaulted at some point in time, not every year.

You might want to go back and read the link you posted because it basically repeats what I just said about statistics. Larger sample sizes improve the confidence interval, but the size of the sample as a proportion of the population is irrelevant.

Edit: Found another link: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm Try entering in a confidence interval of 5. What sample size do you then need for populations of 80,000 vs 800,000 vs 8,000,000 vs 800,000,000? Report these numbers back to me, it will take you seconds, then tell me if you think 8000 is too small a sample for 300 million people.

Try this, scroll down to the formula for sample size: https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/determining-sample-size/

Notice that population size is not a variable in the formula for sample size.
    Last edited by Huulo; 2016-06-19 at 11:01 PM.