Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    If they go down the route that many currently predict, then that would mean another movie before that.. I wouldn't bet on it. My memory of WC1 is a bit dodgy, but I think they theoretically haven't even finished the 1st game completely. A lot of the LK story line makes little sense if you don't explain the whole demon thing properly. And if they want to end Arthas plot without a cliff hanger many would be pissed if they left out Illidan, etc. So.. not sure really.
    Yeah, they will probably do the second war and beyond the dark portal. With steam punk technology playing a huge part in the movie will they still be able to say it was a LOTR ripoff?

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Yeah, they will probably do the second war and beyond the dark portal. With steam punk technology playing a huge part in the movie will they still be able to say it was a LOTR ripoff?
    After the Hobbit with the giant forge that has streams of gold?

it was pretty profitable though, wasn't it? i don't think anyone expected the reviews to be good though lol
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome movie - am going to watch it again incase anything missed

Can't wait for a sequel

Deleted
    Some naive people keep pulling out the argument that Wanda also owns the distribution channels so they get more of the proceeds and the movie is faster to reach 'profitability'.

Thats just not how business it works. You can't throw the profit of one business unit into the equation of another to justify that ones profitability by indiviudal means, just because both are owned by the same entity. You have to look either at all of it as part of a greater business strategy or individually. Not all of the profits but only half of the story. Thats a different equation once you include theatres, streaming licencencing and so on.

They didn't invest into Legendary to offset a real or economic loss with their own distribution channels and they woudn't need to invest into a losing business as a strategy to faciliate their own ones when they can do that well without an acquisition. They are a business not a charity. They expect it to make those profits it is expected to make on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Friday box office was down 82% in the US vs. the previous week. In China, down 80%. This is the second largest week-on-week US friday decline of any film that opened on 3000+ screens.
    I guess we won't hear these numbers shouted of the roof twice every page now.

WoD vibes packed me when the usual suspects with no own opinion tried to take the Chinese conglomerate controlled man made 'success' on the Chinese market out of context and blew the succes of this movie out of proportions and missed no chance to dismiss the early feedback by movie critics and anyone who would dare to rate this movie less than a 9 out of 10 (however ticket sales can condradict opinion of people watching the movie after the purchase) just like they did with critique of WoD beta testers.

Now this looks like a WoD all over again. Big hype, big early sales from hype and marketing, big disillusioning reality kicks in and little impact beyond that.

P.S. if some of you are still delusional and claim this movie had 'little marketing' and thats why it didn't do better elsewhere read this http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/te...-s-1201794300/ It is the reverse. It had good enough marketing everywhere (I find 'never saw any' stories hard to believe anyways after I got drowned every day for a whole week with trailers playing on open screens and poster at every junction even when you leave the house), but uncompareable large backing on the Chinese market that forced it to be the next big thing (which by Chinese sacles simply is that big, I mean even garbage like Battleship made 50 Million over there), something you currently can't replicate on free Western markets at this scale.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Duncan Jones has outright stated he wants to make another. Yeah, they might need actors from the ororiginal but they are under contract and most of them die in the second war anyway.
    He said he wanted to make 2 more before the numbers came in. Those actors aren't under contract for sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    It's not also about money it's about shame. Yeah they did ok in china but flopped hard in the states. Think about these actors. They now have a stain on their imdb page. It's embarrassing and it will cause them to lose jobs in future auditions. Who's this chick? Oh the green chick from that world of warcraft movie? Lol pass.
    Luckily for these actors, that's not quite how Hollywood works. Actors don't get blamed for flops, if they did their jobs. The director is in the hot seat for a flop, along with the writers. The director calls all the shots.

Just about every major actor has a flop or two in their resume. It doesn't effect them at all, unless they were the only reason the movie didn't do well, like if you're Adam Sandler. Actors have very little impact on a movie, past their performance - and shitty editing can destroy that easily.

Same with Zowie Bowie. He was a critic darling, they all loved him with Moon and Source Code. This movie will cost him work in the future. It's nice that they got china's money and all but it bombing domestic makes them think twice about signing on for a sequel. I can honestly see Blizzard wanting a sequel if it breaks even just because it increases their brand and drives game sales. I just don't see people wanting another blemish on their resume. It's a shame cause as we all know once it starts getting into arthas territory it will be a crazy good movie. That is if they can make the human actors actually act better than soap opera stars.
    Lose work? Maybe - he may not be brought in for blockbusters again, until he shows better skill at them. He's shown he can bring a movie in, on time, on budget, and on top of that, an FX heavy movie, which are harder to make. One flop is not a career - his next movie looks more his style (Mute), which can very easily redeem him. But yes, if there are any hits to take here, he's the one that's gonna take them.

But, look at the guy who did The Lone Ranger - which was a legit flop. He did 3 Pirates of the Caribbean, then that pile of shit. He's still working. I tend to think, as long as you're not going wildly over budget, are not hard to work with, and don't bankrupt the studios you work for, you'll find work. I don't think Warcraft will hurt Jones the way you hope it will. If one movie can ruin a director's career, then we should have seen the last of Micheal Bay a long time ago.

It's not also about money it's about shame. Yeah they did ok in china but flopped hard in the states. Think about these actors. They now have a stain on their imdb page. It's embarrassing and it will cause them to lose jobs in future auditions. Who's this chick? Oh the green chick from that world of warcraft movie? Lol pass.

Same with Zowie Bowie. He was a critic darling, they all loved him with Moon and Source Code. This movie will cost him work in the future. It's nice that they got china's money and all but it bombing domestic makes them think twice about signing on for a sequel. I can honestly see Blizzard wanting a sequel if it breaks even just because it increases their brand and drives game sales. I just don't see people wanting another blemish on their resume. It's a shame cause as we all know once it starts getting into arthas territory it will be a crazy good movie. That is if they can make the human actors actually act better than soap opera stars.
    Maybe you're right.I have to admit i have no idea how the industry works in that matters. What I see very unfair it's the way the critics has gone with this film. It's not a masterpiece,but it is an enjoyable movie and it isn't worst than Civil War or The Force Awakens. This two movies got good reviews, I don't know why, and thus they were well received by the U.S. audience.
    And make no mistake. The only market in the world where this movie has failed is in the States. It's not an only China success . It has earned $M137+ in the rest of the world (which means a 37% of the current total earned worldwide, ¢370M+). What is extremely unusual is that a movie has made less than 10% of his total box office at the domestic market. In a normal situation , with the domestic percentage being between 25-30% of the total income the movie would be today around $450M, very near to the break even mark. These are facts.
    I don't know why it has been so. Don't know if it's because of the critics, the video game adaptation issue or the good or bad promotion made for the movie in the U.S.. I don't pretend to know nothing about that. What I do know is that it is not for being a bad movie, cause it isn't . Again, not a masterpiece, but better than the average.

Movie was great and earned tons of cash you blizzard haters just cant face it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

I honestly dont understand why you guys dislike the movie, in my eyes it looked good and did better that what I thought it would be, if you knew it would be bad then why would you even waste money on watching it! I have watched it a whole 3 times already, and still loving it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmodon View Post
    I honestly dont understand why you guys dislike the movie, in my eyes it looked good and did better that what I thought it would be, if you knew it would be bad then why would you even waste money on watching it! I have watched it a whole 3 times already, and still loving it.
    It was better than I expected but its still a poor film - 5/10 maybe a 6 if you are a fan. Lets be honest here, the first hour is a mess. I didn't waste money on watching it though, I had access to a decent camrip.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    It was better than I expected but its still a poor film - 5/10 maybe a 6 if you are a fan. Lets be honest here, the first hour is a mess. I didn't waste money on watching it though, I had access to a decent camrip.
    You're right... can't really argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akta View Post
    Lol bullshit
    Yup, pretty much.

Deleted
    I thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmodon View Post
    Because some people are really emotionally invested in Blizzard and Warcraft suffering for some reason. Like a movie flopping would increase the chance of the game going back to whatever model they prefer for example. Or just plan jane greed in the fact other people might still be having fun with the game or even watching the movie when they simply aren't. Which is worse really doesn't matter because they are both comical. The defense to this of course is if you find joy in something they do not you are somehow a slave to Blizzard or a white knight that is so invested in Blizzard that you cannot see the truth. But again that is ok. Once the argument goes to that then you know its a win because they have moved off subject and onto you with a subjective and unprovable argument that is designed to distract from the fact they don't got much else of a point.

Truth is success attracts haters. Even more so on a fan sight. Some people just only accept #1 movie as all time as a good movie because it is a really simple case to make. Most people understand beating the budget and putting some profit, yes just some, in the pockets of the investors really pretty much makes it a success. In terms of a video game movie it is almost in the ball park of mega success at this point. If it wasn't for critics nutting the film in the US a week or two before it even hit the screens it likely would be even doing better. But China and Europe will undoubtedly mean the movies for this game are far from done.

I say just let the haters hate though bro. The more they fight the fact the movie did plenty fine means the less people give a shit about what they really got to say on anything else. Because at this point its pretty cut and dry.

That's not steampunk. Steampunk is technology powered by steam, usually set in a victoria-era setting.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    People still think the movie needs to at least break even to get a sequel done? Cute.
    Which isn't even a counter argument anymore, to add to your point-
    https://www.destructoid.com/warcraft...e-369782.phtml

After the aircraft and submarines in warcraft 2.

- - - Updated - - -

He said he wanted to make 2 more before the numbers came in. Those actors aren't under contract for sequels.
    https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/stat...06341457551360

Even the moderators here can't be bothered to look at the front page.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    LoL, you dont get to rate anything watching a movie in 320p.