Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Subs: Will they start reporting #s again?

With Legion around the corner, and analysts are predicting a sharp rise in subs, possibly even rising over 10 million, do you think Blizzard will begin to report on their Sub numbers again?

It would make sense because when numbers are good, companies want to tout that they are regaining market share, and growing their user base.

Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Pinterest all report on the number of users they gain / lose especially when the numbers favor them.

I think Blizzard will begin to report on the Sub numbers come Q3 results, and Q4 results.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think so honestly
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

They may report a number of sold copies, but dun think that they'll start reporting sub numbers again.

10+ Year Old Account
    analysts
    Heh. Right.

No, I really doubt it. I've maintained that the sub numbers were never that great of a metric. Is it useful to have a count of subs? Sure. Does it mean that players are actually playing and consuming the content? No.

Who are these "analysts" you speak of? Provide evidence please.

The last time this was discussed, the general consensus was that most people don't give a shit about sub numbers and the value of the data is lessened due to the WoW token skewing information.

I don't think much has changed since then. :^)

I'm not sure we'll see the same jump as WoD this time around. Totally anecdotal, but the crowd who played WoD in my group all got really bored/over it within a 2 month period. They're saying they wont bother with legion. If this reflects a greater attitude, it probably won't spike to the same height that WoD did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    With Legion around the corner, and analysts are predicting a sharp rise in subs, possibly even rising over 10 million, do you think Blizzard will begin to report on their Sub numbers again?

It would make sense because when numbers are good, companies want to tout that they are regaining market share, and growing their user base.

Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Pinterest all report on the number of users they gain / lose especially when the numbers favor them.

I think Blizzard will begin to report on the Sub numbers come Q3 results, and Q4 results.
    As part of their quarterly report? I doubt it, it's possible tho.

As a PR move if the subs do spike up, I could see that happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The last time this was discussed, the general consensus was that most people don't give a shit about sub numbers and the value of the data is lessened due to the WoW token skewing information.

I don't think much has changed since then. :^)
    The tokens are not skewing the information.
    Someone paid for the token with cash at some point. Whether you buy it with gold or pay the sub, blizzard has the money from the 'sub'.

Even blizzard came out and said the numbers haven't fluctuated much from the token sales.

Either way, I don't think they will ever report the subs again.
    They will report game sales. And I doubt they will ever get close to 10 million subs again.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We'll see the day 1/week 1 sales of Legion, which IMO are a stronger indicator of the game's health than the number of subs there happens to be at 4 points on a calendar.

A large portion of my personal circle that plays has also stated they won't be returning after WoD. As they put it they are "done giving them the benefit of the doubt." I can't say that I blame them. The idea that these "analysts" are stating this doesn't really matter. You can't predict the nature of these types of things, and to make a statement like that really doesn't mean a lot. Plenty of economists don't make a lot of money for this same reason. I'd be surprised by the general attitude of the community if they get past 8 million subs again.

Deleted
    Hi. And...

...success of an MMO isn't measured in dollars, its measured in people having fun playing it, and people logging in.. which WoW seems to just have people logging in because they are addicted and cant give up their addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    As a PR move if the subs do spike up, I could see that happening.
    99% positive if the subs spiked to 10 million they would announce it. 72.3% sure if they dropped back down to 4 million they wouldn't announce it, other than just say "it's not at 10 million anymore"

In the unlikely event that subs stay high and they do decide to publish them. All I'll care about is reading Blizzard's typical hilarious PR drivel as to why it was appropriate to show them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are as likely to answer the sub question as answering the "what will happen to our characters progression and collection if you shut down WoW in the future" question.

I doubt it, I think the closest we will get to a sub number announcement is telling us how many extra subs were brought in with an expansion launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Heh. Right.

No, I really doubt it. I've maintained that the sub numbers were never that great of a metric. Is it useful to have a count of subs? Sure. Does it mean that players are actually playing and consuming the content? No.
    Well you know what I mean, most of the gaming websites are predicting a sharp rise in subs. Are you trying to suggest that if subs go up, that means players are consuming less content? Not sure what you are getting at Dars.

If they start reporting subs again that will confirm what most whining crybabies are posting on the forums. That they had hidden it because they were ashamed of it and it causes alarm within their fanbase, while now that they would get 10m subs with Legion they would be like 'HEY BRAS, WE GOT YO 10M SUBS YO BEST GAME EVER CHUCK TH'S NUMBAH'S!!!11!1'. It would show weakness beyond measure, they should just stick to the 'better' way to show their earnings. That way we have less 'Wow is dying' or 'I know wow sucks, here is proof' threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you know what I mean, most of the gaming websites are predicting a sharp rise in subs. Are you trying to suggest that if subs go up, that means players are consuming less content? Not sure what you are getting at Dars.
    I didn't say that at all. Subscription numbers (already skewed by the token) only show that people are paying for the game. It doesn't show how many people are actively participating in the content. There are better metrics for health of the game than just a sub number.

Not consistently, but it wouldn't surprise me if we get the occasional marketing announcement of "X million players strong" to coincide with advertising campaigns when the game's doing well. It's a good tagline to put on ads.