http://screenrant.com/warcraft-box-o...hest-grossing/

Box office says $380 mio +/- so far.

Whether or not the critics liked it, I think it's pretty safe to assume that this is not the last Warcraft movie :-). Personally (being a WoW player) I loved it, albeit I was a little disappointed by the lore changes.

Z.
    Last edited by Zhira; 2016-06-21 at 10:08 AM.

Just've found some April posts where some guy paradokz posted the pre-screening synopsis (with some extra scenes!) and people were trolling him hard.
    Newsflash, camrip fucking blows compared to the theater.
    Wasn't that you who were stating that you know for sure there would be a troll raid scene and Stormwind would burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    The film is doing good overseas it will be at the level of Deadpool's BO, the only problem is US.
    Someone on Kotaku said the movie was a box office flop, except for China. Am I the only one getting pissed at people ignoring Europe? Freaking hell...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Someone on Kotaku said the movie was a box office flop, except for China. Am I the only one getting pissed at people ignoring Europe? Freaking hell...
    I just ignore them cuz I can see the numbers for each country by myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    As someone that follows the Warcraft lore since 1994 and know about almost every single retcon made by Blizzard since then (Warcraft I story is the most retconned plot of the Warcraft universe), I perfectly accept the movie lore because 1) it's the movie universe and 2)it's pretty faithful to the WC1 story before the retcons.
    I suppose that's true. In fact when thinking about it, story-wise the movie is actually pretty close to the Warcraft I Human campaign, the (unconsequential) major differences being Garona, Medivh and King Llane's death.

Still annoying considering for the rest of the Warcraft franchise it seems that the W1 Orc campaign is the one more or less accepted as canon (ie Orcs raze Stormwind, humans lose the 1st war and flee to Lordaeron which prompts the forming of the Alliance which allows them to win the 2nd war.), as far as I know, and I think that line of events is more balanced and start giving a better sense that the horde and alliance are overall equally matched, and that unity and setting differences aside allows Azeroth to survive agaisnt greater threats.

But honestly it all depends on where the sequels take the story. It seemed to me it ended exactly with the formation of the Alliance and Garona being seen as a treacherous assassin, just like the W1 Human campaign, but there's still a lot of loose threads (Gul'dan is alive, Orgrim is alive, Garona is alive and not magically controlled by Gul'dan, Anduin is alive) which could go many ways for the 2nd war.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-06-21 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    One of the shinest examples of what a particularly spot-on marketing can do with a relatively underwhelming movie, without even considering the anticipation built for the long-awaited Jurassic Park sequel.

I still can't get how it got a better score than The Lost World though, I really can't.
    I personally think Jurassic World is the 2nd best of the franchise, Jurassic Park being #1, and The Lost World being #3. Still, the only reason I like JW over TLW was because of some really entertaining scenes. JW has an incredibly stupid plot, however. I mean, if you bother analysing every situation where the park owners and personnel could have avoided disaster, there would not even have been a movie to talk about in the first place.

Let's not forget that the critics gave The Force Awakens a 90+% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, despite it having some really glaring issues in the 3rd act with the rehashing of the Death Star plot device being used for a third time in the entire series. I mean, I really liked the movie as well, but they could have at least done something different for the climax of the film.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-06-21 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    I don't understand all the fuss around lore changes. Movies or series like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones have just as many lore changes. It has always been and always will be a norm in movie adaptations, be it a book or a video game.

I am just afraid a second war movie will bore people. Also the movie ended with Thrall, so I think the audience expects to see him in the sequel. The movie also ended with Orgrim by himself. This could go many ways

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I personally think Jurassic World is the 2nd best of the franchise, Jurassic Park being #1, and The Lost World being #3. Still, the only reason I like JW over TLW was because of some really entertaining scenes. JW has an incredibly stupid plot, however. I mean, if you bother analysing every situation where the park owners and personnel could have avoided disaster, there would not even have been a movie to talk about in the first place.

Let's not forget that the critics gave The Force Awakens a 90+% approval rating Rotten Tomatoes, despite it having some really glaring issues in the 3rd act with the rehashing of the Death Star plot device being used for a third time in the entire series. I mean, I really liked the movie as well, but they could have at least done something different for the climax of the film.
    I am not a SW fan, but I recently watced TFA and it was a very mediocre movie IMO. Had a few good scenes and I am not saying its a bad movie. But people are biased towards SW, because its ooohh soooo great :P

Have you ever read Rosenberg's WC2 novellizations? They are long, boring and just painful to read. There is no way the movie will be based on any of them. The best way for the sequel is to forgo the Second War entirely and dramatize some minor subplot.

I am just afraid a second war movie will bore people. Also the movie ended with Thrall, so I think the audience expects to see him in the sequel. The movie also ended with Orgrim by himself. This could go many ways
    I totally agree. It was necessary to show the First War because it means the arrival of the orcs to Azeroth. But this story has too many characters and too many plots to show them all and well developed in a 2-hour piece. And the Second War is even bigger. They would make a mistake if they tried to adapt it to the silver screen. But now that the hard work is done and they have established the world, the races and the conflicts between them, they should move to a more focused story.

Orgrim has now gone "rogue".So no chance for him to become Warchief as in the original lore. I think he will go after Durotan's son, until he finds him and guides him to liberate their people from the interment camps and so become Warchief of the Horde. (Hoping for a Hammerfall very emotional moment).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Have you ever read Rosenberg's WC2 novellizations? They are long, boring and just painful to read. There is no way the movie will be based on any of them. The best way for the sequel is to forgo the Second War entirely and dramatize some minor subplot.
    Today I have to 100% agree with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I saw it camrip

Wonderful quality. The Orcs and the scenery looked amazing. But the human CGI was awful. Need to spend more money on animating humans.

I know I know. I am an awful pirating scumlord and you all hate me. Got it. If it makes you feel any better...

- I purposefully did not watch the full movie. Stopped before the halfway point.
    - I fully intended to go support the film had I enjoyed the first 40 minutes and had my interest captured.
    - While I rarely do these unsavory things, I always make sure to support things I enjoy so that I can have more. I have watched Pacific Rim in theaters, bought the Blue Ray, and done my part and I intended to do the same here.
    - No, I am not condoning pirating.

The truth is that I honestly never do this. Usually, I just ignore a film I am sure I won't like. As in, they were not gonna get my money anyway. The only reason I did this for Warcraft is because all you nuts kept saying how I needed to give the movie a chance, and how my opinion was invalid since I did not see it yet.

Sorry but that sounds all kinds of scammy. That is how bad movies get sequels. They trick people into spending money at it, then when you say you disliked it, it doesn't matter cause you paid already. It reeks of people bitching about how Blizz sucks while maintaining a sub. Why would they listen if they are still getting your money?

So I gave it a chance. Everything I was sure about was confirmed and I decided that I would not go give them my money. I am glad I didn't pay as I would feel like I wasted + bucks.

Basically. I didn't want to see it. Decided I wa snot gonna see it. People convinced me to give it a chance. I gave it a chance and decided I still don't want to see it to completion.

End result, they weren't getting any money from me anyway. I did not watch the whole film. I call it square.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    One more thing.

The battle in GoT was far better than the battle in that valley in Warcraft. No, I am not saying Warcraft needs to be 100% like GoT.

I am just saying that the battle of the Bastards seemed more real, meanwhile Warcraft characters didn't so much as sweat or get dirty and their horses looked like they gave 0 fucks. It pulled me out of the movie quicker than seeing John Travolta ( Pulp Fiction meme) pop up and look around like "What the fuck?"

You mean the recent battle from the newest GoT episode? Season 6, episode 9? Sorry, but that battle was bloody awful. At least as far as camera-work went. It was so fucking shaky I lost my appetite.
    Also, please fuck off. I've seen the camrips. I've seen the good ones, too. They pale in comparison to the actual movie you see in the theaters. They're not the same. So stop talking out your ass.
    Last edited by mmoc1f28493424; 2016-06-21 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    You mean the recent battle from the newest GoT episode? Season 6, episode 9? Sorry, but that battle was bloody awful. At least as far as camera-work went. It was so fucking shaky I lost my appetite.
    No it's not. It is extremely well done. But it is unfair comparing this to Warcraft as no other TV show or movie has portrayed a battle so well as Miguel Sapochnik did ( maybe "Save private Ryan" did a better job in that matter, but no other one).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    No it's not. It is extremely well done. But it is unfair comparing this to Warcraft as no other TV show or movie has portrayed a battle so well as Miguel Sapochnik did ( maybe "Save private Ryan" did a better job in that matter, but no other one).
    The battle is good. The constant close-ups and shaky cam was highly obnoxious.
    Last edited by mmoc1f28493424; 2016-06-21 at 11:42 AM.

I think that Jurassic World is the only Jurassic sequel that intentionally evolved the franchise into a specific direction, and that's what made it (despite of its huge flaws) a solid product. TLW had a sense, but less specific than JW. JP3 didn't have a direction, it was just an adventure in the dinosaurs island without any reason.

Now, is Warcraft going into a specific direction? Is it a solid movie (despite of its flaws)?

EDIT:

That's the term I was looking for: identity. Jurassic World had an identity. Does Warcraft have an identity that separates it from other movies of the same genre?

(I think yes, but maybe some doesnt' agree)

Deleted
    The Europe numbers are shit? >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    The film is doing good overseas it will be at the level of Deadpool's BO, the only problem is US.
    You do realize Deadpool cleared 3 quarters of a billion at the Box Office, right? Whereas, Warcraft will be lucky to clear half a billion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alucar View Post
    Are you sure about this? China says nah.
    China says "I'm seeing massive % drops" so........?

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not forget that the critics gave The Force Awakens a 90+% approval rating Rotten Tomatoes, despite it having some really glaring issues in the 3rd act with the rehashing of the Death Star plot device being used for a third time in the entire series. I mean, I really liked the movie as well, but they could have at least done something different for the climax of the film.
    It's Star Wars, critics wouldn't have dared give it a bad rating unless it actually was as bad as Phantom Menace, & even then.

No seriously, check out the critic reviews for Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones. Few people had the balls to rate it properly, "because Star Wars." Not to mention, I have yet to find a single critic review from release that objectively broke down Revenge of the Sith into the massive joke that it really is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Check out Beyond the Dark Portal by Christie Golden. Though to be fair, I highly doubt they'll be adapting the WC2 Expansion, when they probably won't even be adapting WC2 itself properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    It was just generally awful, don't worry.
    Last edited by mmoc34c31092a9; 2016-06-21 at 01:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think it has an identity that separates it from other movies of the same genre, but they screwed up a bit by making the aesthetic too close to the games(that were only cartoony because it was necessary for them to be so). If they'd made the world seem more real, as every successful fantasy series has done, I think it would have penetrated more with general audiences and critics; in the US at least.
    Probably not a screw-up, given the Chinese fantasy aesthetic.

Also, have you seen Diablo/most other games of Warcraft games' tech level? Didn't have to be "cartoony," that's a big difference in color palette, saturation, exaggeration...
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    You do realize Deadpool cleared 3 quarters of a billion at the Box Office, right? Whereas, Warcraft will be lucky to clear half a billion?
    China says "I'm seeing massive % drops" so........?
    I think you didn't understand what I meant. I was comparing Deadpool and Warcraft overseas BO (this means without US) Warcraft-340M$ Deadpool 415M$
    It is normal for Warcraft to have big % drops because it was frontloaded by fans especially in China, despite this it's still stable there

It's Star Wars, critics wouldn't have dared give it a bad rating unless it actually was as bad as Phantom Menace, & even then.

No seriously, check out the critic reviews for Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones. Few people had the balls to rate it properly, "because Star Wars." Not to mention, I have yet to find a single critic review from release that objectively broke down Revenge of the Sith into the massive joke that it really is.
    Not only is TFA as bad movie as the prequels, it's even a worst one. It is an entire rip-off from A New Hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather

I guess so. I just thought it was blatantly obvious the little substance of JW, from the poor script to the shallow characterizations, but critics seem to have fully rewarded it for being a fun, dumb movie. Which is fine, I mean, I think they should do it more often, too bad that they are awfully selective when it comes to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out Beyond the Dark Portal by Christie Golden.
    To be fair, Rosenberg had a hand on that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.