Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I like all of the cast (with the possible exception of McCarthy) in varying degrees. Kate McKinnon is funny, Leslie Jones can be funny in small doses....Kristin Wiig is ok sometimes I guess. But I don't think they have the potential to be anywhere near as good together as the originals. That, coupled with the what at least appears to be politically motivated gender-based casting, just doesn't make me want to see this. I really don't care that they're women, just that I don't think these women can carry a movie and the underlying politics are just annoying. Maybe it will prove me wrong though, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Ærion View Post
    Because it's not a sequel, it's a pointless re-make.
    Because the gender-swapped cast looks to be some kind of statement (...). Why not make it a 50-50 cast? Instead of flipping the coin, why not put it on it's side?
    Because Melissa McFuckface can go die in a fire.
    Wow, dude you need some help.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly because the "comedians" in it are not funny, and there was no need to reboot the original which had a hilarious cast.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh remember that, fucking SPACE MARINES were looking to HER on what to do, thats how bad ass Ripley is.
    Imagine if it came out now; "Ahmagad why would TRAINED SPACE MARINES be looking up to a civilian? Scriptwriters just put in because stronk wimminz, stupid bullshit SJW feminism propaganda."

Also Games Workshop would try to stop them using the term "Space Marines."

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    It should have been a sequel, not a reboot.
    Thats one of the more annoying things to me. It just tosses out the old movies for no good reason...why not have them continue from where the boys left off?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm not a McCarthy fan, but the other three are freaking hilarious.
    Outtakes from movies that McCarthy is in tend to be hilarious. Watch her in 'This Is 40'. She was by far the most entertaining part of 'Bridesmaids'.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    She plays the same lady in every movie, and it was barely funny the first time. Now its just tired.
    It doesn't take much to be an actor apparently, just need to know the right people. Sam Worthington was a brick layer, he acts like one as well. Terrible Actor, makes like 3 facial expressions per movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Imagine if it came out now; "Ahmagad why would TRAINED SPACE MARINES be looking up to a civilian? Scriptwriters just put in because stronk wimminz, stupid bullshit SJW feminism propaganda."

I do not think you are wrong...sadly.

To answer that hypothetical, because Ellen Ripley is a fucking goddess of alien killing badassery.

Or it would be 'Hey, she's a pretty good actor, this was good.'

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    It should have been a sequel, not a reboot.
    THIS! So much. And not just because I've been to Austin and had cute Texan college girls hitting on me.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I've seen the previews, and they look very lackluster. It's clear they wanted an all-female cast to offset the male dominated cast from the first one. I like Kristen Wiig, I think she's gorgeous, and very funny. Melissa McCarthy plays the same character in every movie, and while that can be funny, it gets old. The old cast was just better, with Murray and Akyroyd, and Ramis. All of them had great chemistry, and when you add in Moranis, Potts, and Hudson, it was a solid movie. I don't see this movie living up to the hype. Look what happened when they re-made Vacation... some things are better left untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Because the cast is a mishmash of unfunny tryhard comedians put together to cash in on the PC crowd with a trendy IP.
    Well put.
    This could have been a great movie if they did it from a standpoint of them being the daughters of the original cast, passing the torch so to speak, but nope they make this movie which most likely be a bigger disaster then that last fantastic four movie.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen the film yet (didn't realise it was already out) so I can't say how forced the script or the cast are, but from that post it seems like you're saying that films can only be good if it is made by people who have already worked together for several years on other projects. I do think that can help to make a brilliant film, but I can't agree that any film without those preexisting relationships will be bad.
    It isn't out yet, but based on what I have seen from the trailers and tv spots, it looks like garbage.

My point was merely suggesting that the reason Ghostbusters was such a classic was because it was actually written by the guys who acted in the film, Murray and Ramis were the writers. None of the ladies in this film wrote it, nor did they even come up with the film idea. It worked originally because the actors for the most part, had worked together on SCTV a couple of years earlier. Ramis, Murray and Moranis were all on the show in 1982 and did a bunch of episodes together, so they knew what would make them funny on screen before even filming the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    It doesn't take much to be an actor apparently, just need to know the right people. Sam Worthington was a brick layer, he acts like one as well. Terrible Actor, makes like 3 facial expressions per movie.
    Yeh....Taylor Kistch( Ithink his name is) Guy from John Carter of Mars...same thing...who in your family has pull, cause you son, cannot act.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The new star wars movie was great, Rey however is a poorly written Mary Sue, but then too so are plenty of other characters so who cares

Ripley was definitely a great character well portrayed
    This is correct. For someone to reach her level of badassery, they'd have to be alone. On a ship, in space, with the ugliest man eating slimiest meanest bastard of an alien trying to rip your face off. For 2 hours in a movie.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    The whole PC argument really doesn't add up since the trailer seems to make it clear they are banging the "black woman who is from the street and really loud" stereotype drum quite heavily. From the trailer though this screams train wreck to me and I'm guessing it will about as loved as Phantom Menace was.
    THIS ^

I'm not usually a "SJW" type but...

If there's one thing I'd have axed in a new Ghostbusters movie, it was the way Winston was treated. I'm not sure if it's actually a remnant of "blaxploitation", actually discriminatory, or unintentional- but watching the original now feels a bit jarring:

You have three out of four Ghostbusters that are all friends- all well educated, intelligent, flushed out, there from the very beginning of the movie and white... and then you have the fourth that shows up, as a stranger, blue collar, doesn't have any connection to the other three and only there because he's poor and needs money. And he's black.

Oh, and he's not on the poster:

And barely in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntAEVjPBzQ

Hell- Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver are credited as "starring" alongside Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis (in the trailer and the poster).

Emie Hudson doesn't get a mention. It's probably because they wanted to justify underpaying him and cut his role onscreen in half after he signed onto the movie.

It's still... jarring though.

In any case, seeing the new Ghostbusters trailer with friends who all happen to be well educated, professors, intelligent at the beginning of a movie and then a... "sassy black woman" who is a teller for the subway join later in the movie, while screaming about "the devil".

That's my biggest issue with the new Ghostbusters movie anyway. I find that part cringe worthy.

I will say, when the black lady drives up in the Herse and is all excited and says "Its a Caddy" That got a chuckle out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Outtakes from movies that McCarthy is in tend to be hilarious. Watch her in 'This Is 40'. She was by far the most entertaining part of 'Bridesmaids'.
    I've liked her in a few movies, but I feel like she sticks to one specific archetype. I think it was the one where she robs a food store is what kinda made me lose some respect for her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Wow, dude you need some help.
    Only in expressing just how miscast McFuckface really is. Which cannot be overstated enough, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    This is correct. For someone to reach her level of badassery, they'd have to be alone. On a ship, in space, with the ugliest man eating slimiest meanest bastard of an alien trying to rip your face off. For 2 hours in a movie.
    And whats cool, is she wasn't just a like written as a man and cast as a woman, she was very much a woman, she has tender spots that men do not have, for the child or cat, things like that. She is just a great character.