I don't use Facebook very often - only to keep in touch with a few friends/family members who favour it over Skype. It's disheartening to see how nasty even the most mild mannered individual can become over political issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurigo View Post
    When people start to feel that they had enough and the economy/quality of life has grown to a satisfactory level, they might think about leaving the EU
    They would forever be branded as unthankful leeches if they do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Concretely, what does this mean for the UK, the EU and the countries united with it? I haven't really been following this. Just learned this morning that the vote was "yes".
    Nobody knows

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am talking about Eire.
    My apologies I have been corrected but my point still stands that there are more incentives to make an example out of the UK to be a deterrent than to be reasonable. What is at stake is not just the loss of the UK but the possibility of breaking up the entire union, there is nothing Britain can offer to appease that fear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, fuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    EU obviously forced UK's hand here. Poor oppressed UK.
    EU aren't exactly innocent

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    i think you're lying or work with silly people
    I work in a University, they have very good and realistic prospects of getting jobs elsewhere. Globalisation is real, accept it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So lets review everyone.

*brings in white board*
    *sniffs marker*
    *starts writing*

The UK left the EU
    The UK will still have to follow the EU's regulations
    The UK may lose Scotland and North Ireland
    The Pound has crashed and the day has not even really started
    The UK will no longer have a lot of say in the EU, since unlike Switzerland, another non-EU member, they are not located in a prime location.

So basically LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Meanwhile in my office, people are checking eligibility for Irish citizenship and looking for jobs overseas...

Seriously, look who you've "taken Britain back" for. A horribly unrepresentative Parliament, 800 unelected Lords, and millionaire lobbyists and asset strippers.
    But I've heard Farage is the worker's class Messiah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    It is simple really. Voting is the bases of democracy. There is nothing of a higher power, in democratic countries, than the will of people.
    As for the 48 to 52 comment it goes both ways. If remain had won, then the leave party would have to live with the decision of the remain voters.
    It is how democracy works, and asking the people is the highest possible form of it.

You gave a lesson of how democracy should work to the world yesterday, you should be happy.
    What about a middle ground? What about staying in the Eu but negotiating terms with it. (the things that pro-leavers don't like).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody knows
    If you had to describe the situation to a foreigner, what would you tell him?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't use Facebook very often - only to keep in touch with a few friends/family members who favour it over Skype. It's disheartening to see how nasty even the most mild mannered individual can become over political issues.
    It's why I generally don't discuss politics except for in places like this where I can remain anonymous, the general election is bad enough, but this referendum has become downright toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    If they can shove 5bn to Poland, they'll be able to support Ireland as well, especially since it probably needs far less than that. The rest of the EU paying an Ireland support tax is preferable to letting the UK dictate terms of deals.
    Tbh the UK has helped us a lot more than the EU. they even gave us 8bn i think to help with out bailout. Sure the EU gave us money but with a fuck ton of conditions like sell national assets and the introduction of extra taxes. So the UK has been much kinder than the EU. (of course we still needed the EUs money)

Ireland would be better of leaving and getting free trade with the UK than staying in the EU, but our government would never give us that option. Democracy is non existent in Ireland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I work in a University, they have very good and realistic prospects of getting jobs elsewhere. Globalisation is real, accept it.
    University LOL

Explains everything

Deleted
    There's a simple reason why Poland will, at least in the next 5-10 years, not leave the EU; it's the exact same reason why right-wing morons were elected in the first place - they promised to throw money at people, and so they keep doing, slowly destroying the budget and planing more and more tax increases. Poland is one of the biggest beneficiaries of EU funds (and it's clearly visible in here - lots of improvements in lifestyle/science/technology in the last few years). I feel as if the popularity of the 500+ support program, which ensured a victory in elections, is proof that - at least for the time being - EU support in Poland will not drop below current 80%. People won't willingly vote to throw EU and EU funds out the window (so long as it keeps flowing in at least).
    Hehheeehe, polish people don't care about funds, they care about freedom of movement, free trade and being connected with West. Theres around 20% of population related to agriculture, being farmers, ppl will eat alive every political party willing to make even referendum about leaving EU. You can stay delusional. Relation between 500+ and EU funds is non-existant. PIS've won elecetion after losing 8 elections in row, only because people were tired by 8 years of liberals. You can live in your dream. We can go Belarus or maybe UA way, good luck with that, but keep dreamin, Poland choose West not by joining EU, by thousand years ago, joining western version of christianity, alphabet and laws.

Deleted
    Maybe London decides to leave the UK as well, which would result in the disintegration of the UK and all 4 former UK states rejoining the EU, lulz.

While it's an understandable immediate reaction, I don't expect referendums from Northern Ireland or Scotland to leave the UK, declare statehood, and apply to the EU (or I guess just see if they can sign up as fiefdoms of some other EU member?) to be forthcoming or to succeed after sober reflection. At the end of the idea, culture beats strategy, and "nation" beats "state". The countries of the British Isles have a centuries old history of ripping each other to history, but basically what family doesn't? Does Scotland really share a polity with Germany, France, Greece, and Hungary, moreso than with England and Wales? Not really, no.

Deleted
    Well it is toxic, other EU members seem to be getting a kick out of the thought that the UK will crumble without them.
    Some of the most pathetic comments I have seen on a forum tbh.

EU aren't exactly innocent
    I know. They totally forced the UK to sit on the sidelines despite UK having second strongest position in it (but hey, first past the post scrambled their brains and the thought they'd get to rule it all and reignite ze empire), then squeezed their eyeballs to make the "we are on the sidelines and have no power" tears to flow out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Maybe London decides to leave the UK as well, which would result in the disintegration of the UK and all 4 former UK states rejoining the EU, lulz.
    Except of the British North West, where people sit in front of their abandoned factories, shaking their fist and yelling "BLOODY EUUUUUU" at some clouds.

I know. They totally forced the UK to sit on the sidelines despite UK having second strongest position in it (but hey, first past the post scrambled their brains and the thought they'd get to rule it all and reignite ze empire), then squeezed their eyeballs to make the "we are on the sidelines and have no power" tears to flow out.
    The UK's answer to most of EU related stuff was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. That's not how you shape the European Union.