Thread: changing CPU

changing CPU

I want to upgrade my CPU to GTX 1070, however, before doing that i wanted to make sure if it is necessary to upgrade other aspects of my pc along with the cpu. I know this question may come across as ignorant to some of you but i am not really experienced in this sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by irongear View Post
    I want to upgrade my CPU to GTX 1070, however, before doing that i wanted to make sure if it is necessary to upgrade other aspects of my pc along with the cpu. I know this question may come across as ignorant to some of you but i am not really experienced in this sort of thing.
    That'd be your GPU and not your CPU. Whether or not you'll need to replace anything else will depend on what you have in your current setup.

What aspects of my set up do i usually need to upgrade along with the GPU ()?

10+ Year Old Account
    What aspects of my set up do i usually need to upgrade along with the GPU ()?
    Usually either nothing, or the power supply. There's a chance you'd also need a new case, or even motherboard, and if you did need a new motherboard you'd also need a new CPU.

Again though, all of this depends on the current components in your computer.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    CPU and Powersupply
    Uh... no.

CPU has nothing to do with a GPU upgrade.

Power supply only if his computer is a store-bought Gateway, Dell, or the like, aka, has a shit PSU in it. OP is "changing" the GPU, however, soooooooooo...

Likely nothing else needs to change.

@OP, can you please tell us your full computer setup? Include all hardware like motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply unit (PSU)... current graphics card?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't like bottlenecks.
    I'm about to upgrade my GPU from a GTX 780 to a GTX 1080, not gonna change my i7 6700k for that

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like bottlenecks.
    We'll see what his CPU is, then.

However, somehow I doubt his CPU is a bottleneck and if his power supply is at least a 500w, then that won't be a problem.

What you left out then is also the motherboard and RAM.

Also, another big bottleneck that even the best CPU/GPU combo cannot overcome is the slowness of a system still running on platter-drives.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Only in load times. Doesn't really matter much when you're actually playing the game.
    In fairness that does depend on the game, some games are very CPU heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I was talking about SSD vs HDD(the platter drive comment). Most games can benefit from faster CPUs even if it isn't as big of gains as a GPU upgrade might be(sometimes it's bigger gains if the game is very heavily CPU dependent).
    oo, my bad should have read better. oopsy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most games can benefit more from an upgrade from an HDD to an SSD than going from an i5 from 2 or even 3 generations ago to a current i5, or even current i7. Load times is more than just that load bar in between games, it's loading everything around you too and there's a lot more of it in many games than you may think.

Also, if it means you're up and ready to play a game with everything loaded a minute or more faster, then shit... Also, the price nowadays just isn't as big of a concern anymore, either.

However, again, we'll see what the OP's CPU is.

If it's an i5-760, or similar, then yeah, I can get on board with a CPU upgrade. i5-2500K? That I might debate on and anything newer then that's definitely a no-go imho.

If it's an AMD - then yes, upgrade.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Most games can benefit more from an upgrade from an HDD to an SSD than going from an i5 from 2 or even 3 generations ago to a current i5, or even current i7. Load times is more than just that load bar in between games, it's loading everything around you too and there's a lot more of it in many games than you may think.
    This is pure non-sense. HDD/SSD has zero (read: 0/zero/none) impact on a game performance unless developers implement some crazy mid-action asset load/unload routines, which they don't anymore. Those days are long gone since RAMs are simply more than enough these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    This is pure non-sense. HDD/SSD has zero (read: 0/zero/none) impact on a game performance unless developers implement some crazy mid-action asset load/unload routines, which they don't anymore. Those days are long gone since RAMs are simply more than enough these days.
    This /\. There are some improvements that one should expect from getting a SSD but improved gaming performance isn't even remotely close from being one of them.

And SSD improves game load times which in say Witcher 3 where your world is bloody massive DOES infact affect your gaming experince IE I had stuff not loading fast enough as I ride through the world. So yes SSD/HDD does make a difference. Second off do we have specs for the OP's currently PC? If not we need those to make an educated decision on what to upgrade first and what he can keep.

Should start with your current setup, as long as it supports a card from one of more recent generations, you should be fine to just plop a new card into your machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    And SSD improves game load times which in say Witcher 3 where your world is bloody massive DOES infact affect your gaming experince IE I had stuff not loading fast enough as I ride through the world. So yes SSD/HDD does make a difference. Second off do we have specs for the OP's currently PC? If not we need those to make an educated decision on what to upgrade first and what he can keep.
    Nice someone knows what I'm talking about.

OP is MIA.
    "A flower.