Thread: So POTG....

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

So POTG....

Was in a game right now on nepal...playing Genji, and they had the point in the middle. Both teams at 99%. And basically i'm going into the middle where their team is and I start hitting them, and I see a tracer coming at me... shes not shooting at me, but I still put my deflect up and aim at her, and she uses her ulti on me, but I manage to aim it back at her instead. She then blinks back to where her team is, thus killing off herself and 2 of her teammates. And I manage to capture the point and win the game since i'm the only one there, but in that moment i'm thinking "hohohooo POTG!!"

And then it's time for POTG.... and lo and fucking behold...it's torbjorn....repairing his turret...then proceeding to die after about 3 seconds, followed by 3 kills from his turret.

Not trying to sound like i'm sitting on a high horse here, I do love a good torbjorn player but ..... fuck me man...I really hope they look into how POTG works a bit more.

Didn't they already admit that PotG is flawed and mostly looks at multiple kills in quick succession? At least I think that's what was said in the last thread about it.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I got PotG as Symmetra for shutting down Genji's ultimate which was kinda funny as it was my only kill during the kill cam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    fuck me man...I really hope they look into how POTG works a bit more.
    I'm sorta going to agree, haven't played Overwatch for a while and hopped in as Zenyatta. Got myself Play of the Game, and I'm not sure what was so special about in it.

To be honest that was quite horrible part of the match, missed plenty of my shots.

I had a nice POTG yesterday. I killed a mercy and a tracer as widow then a winston tried too jump on me but jumped off the edge instead I purposely followed him with my scope in hopes of getting it in POTG and I did haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I'm sorta going to agree, haven't played Overwatch for a while and hopped in as Zenyatta. Got myself Play of the Game, and I'm not sure what was so special about in it.

To be honest that was quite horrible part of the match, missed plenty of my shots.
    was most likely because you got three kills on the point, while no one else had anything better than that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post

I find that shitty PotG is the result of games where no one does anything special.
    Putin khuliyo

Every potg complain/vent thread is the same.

Someone should probably sticky one of them by now right?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

POTG is numerically the best thing that happened. If you think that's bad... take a step back and look at how bad the rest of the match was.
    As for Torbjorn, a few turret assisted kills while handing out armor on the point is often steals POTG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like my first PotG on Tracer, was me making three kills in succession with my pistols. I even miss my pulse bomb ultimate in the process. It's just that it was on the objective and the only interesting thing that happened.

And we lost to boot. Unfortunately the opposing team got us at a choke point (this was Numbani) and we couldn't push through in time.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how PotG works, priority wise, but I believe it looks for Shutdowns, Killing Sprees and Ultimates.

A few examples:
    > If you get a good killing spree where you killed or assisted (with most damage dealt at the end), PotG.
    > If you shutdown someone after a killing spree and/or being on fire, PotG.
    > If you shutdown someone during his ultimate initialization or effect, PotG.
    > If you resurrect 3 or more players with Mercy's ultimate, PotG.
    > If you pull the entire enemy team with Zarya's Q, the chances are one of your teammates will get PotG by dealing more damage with their own Qs.
    > Do anything while standing in or near the objective, PotG. (This one doesn't seem to be as valuable but will take priority over PotG with equal or similar value in random spots)

Simple examples but I think they are pretty close to what the game takes a look at. It is hard to make a computer guess what was truly useful or great, even with an improved algorithm there will be times where the PotG will be a soul crushing rampage by a Torbjorn's turret. Even though it might not be the most skillful action in the match, it was helpful in a way. You can easily cheat in this system, the next won't be hard either.

I think the community needs to stop looking at PotG as a system to acknowledge good plays and/or players but as a system to show moments where something useful (MIGHT NOT BE THE MOST USEFUL OVERALL) happened.
    Last edited by Frozenpt; 2016-06-25 at 05:25 PM.

Oh look, here we are just continuing to beat the dead horse that is PoTg

I'll take a Match Win over PoTg anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you should not be able to get POTG during ultimate.

Feels like 99% of all games are like Hanzo or Junkrat ultimates
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Lined up 3 Zarya Ults perfectly in 3 different matches and got 0 PoTG. All of which a Hanzo or Tracer got a 4-Kill or 5-Kill off my ultimate. Cool to see my ult contribute so much more than the kills themselves.

Won all three of those matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

Deleted
    It still needs to be removed. It's a pointless waste of time. So many seconds wasted showing pointless action from a game that just got played. They add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It still needs to be removed. It's a pointless waste of time. So many seconds wasted showing pointless action from a game that just got played. They add up.
    I'd be perfectly fine with that to resolve the problem lol --- Don't fix it, just remove it! They could even still let it record your last few "highlights" like it already does even if you didnt get PoG, so you can watch them on your own time.

Deleted
    For PoTgs based on kills they should have a simple point system with certain multipliers.
    E.g;
    1 kill = 100 points
    Kills in objective area = +25%
    Kills due to a special = -25%
    Kills that caused a shutdown = +25%

That way one yolowheel would have less of a chance then someone going on a hero spree and killing three players without their ult up.

Actually I see a lot different POTG from my friend playing Reinhardt or myself as Reaper (like 7 Reaper POTG out of 10 games...). I also often see shutdowns and sharpshoot POTG. Didn't see Bastion's for like years, nor Torbjörns o.ò

They know that PTOG is flawed. Currently it's not only kills that count towards it but yeah, sometimes it can be frustrating to watch a POTG where Torb is just looking at his turret.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiBu Gaming View Post
    They know that PTOG is flawed. Currently it's not only kills that count towards it but yeah, sometimes it can be frustrating to watch a POTG where Torb is just looking at his turret.
    It can be funny if a Torb gets PotG and you just watch him fail so hard while stacking turret kills. The best was one who ran down a hole in the floor trying to escape a Zenyatta!!