Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Yep, but don't try telling these....intelligent people...that. Just for shiggles, I tested with the slider set to as near as it can go, on live, and then zoomed out to max. It's freakin super far away, your character is like an inch tall. And then even more so when you set the slider to far. How can people need your character to look like an ant? No raid boss in WoW is so big that even having the slider set on near will be too close, let alone on far.

Also, this is coming from a melee, my main is Rogue. 99% of the people in this thread are overreacting about a change that is good.
    How is it in any way good? I've yet to see a good reason for it. At best it doesn't change anything(like in your case)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

7+ Year Old Account
    Paring down the dynamic settings makes the game better for everyone. Quit your bitching.

On a serious note:
    I can't believe anyone who read Ions' post thinks that he has "a good reason". What pile of heaping steaming dung. His argument is so full of holes I can't believe it was written by a professional game designer/programmer/whatever_the_fuck_he_is.

I don't see the reason for the change.. But as a tank I haven't felt I needed to be that far out since Malygos.. So I'm not too concerned about it, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Paring down the dynamic settings makes the game better for everyone. Quit your bitching.

On a serious note:
    I can't believe anyone who read Ions' post thinks that he has "a good reason". What pile of heaping steaming dung. His argument is so full of holes I can't believe it was written by a professional game designer/programmer/whatever_the_fuck_he_is.
    I've always used the command for max distance, but never actually zoomed out that far. In terms of his reasoning, the thing that sticks out to me revolves around how the game is made with the distance in mind. While I don't know how honest it is, it sounds like taking this away may be because Legion might revolve around certain views; moreso than previously. For instance, if you can zoom out beyond what they intended a certain area to 'allow', you may be looking at filler black or find your camera inside a mountain with no view at all during a raid; something they don't want to find a screenshot of on reddit or their forums where someone is complaining about the optional distance.

While I don't agree with such a sudden/ninja change (which is probably a bigger gripe of people, since there was no consultation), if they have assets in Legion that are made with such a max view distance involved, and it's better to change it, then it's going to be changed for the best 'experience.' Is it the best decision? Probably not. It might be reverted with enough outcry. But if it makes sense from a developer's standpoint in terms of 'fairness' and 'intended', it's probably going to happen.

Or...GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS BOYS!

-----E

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    ... it sounds like taking this away may be because Legion might revolve around certain views; moreso than previously. For instance, if you can zoom out beyond what they intended a certain area to 'allow', you may be looking at filler black or find your camera inside a mountain with no view at all during a raid; something they don't want to find a screenshot of on reddit or their forums where someone is complaining about the optional distance.
    I've been playing with max distance as far back as I can remember. I'm pretty sure I started using it before I hit max level in BC. Having used it for that long, and for anyone else that has used to it for an extended period of time, I ask : has the game world ever not looked right? In my experience, absolutely not. The world has always looked just fine. Now, suddenly, with a new xpac there is a concern that being zoomed too far out is going to impact the visual nature of the game? I call bullshit. What kind of fucking programmers are they hiring where this would be an issue? I could ramble forever on this. I'm am absolutely floored that Ions is trying to sell the idea with an absolutely horrible argument. The justification presented is just.... crap.

I've been playing with max distance as far back as I can remember. I'm pretty sure I started using it before I hit max level in BC. Having used it for that long, and for anyone else that has used to it for an extended period of time, I ask : has the game world ever not looked right? In my experience, absolutely not. The world has always looked just fine. Now, suddenly, with a new xpac there is a concern that being zoomed too far out is going to impact the visual nature of the game? I call bullshit. What kind of fucking programmers are they hiring where this would be an issue? I could ramble forever on this. I'm am absolutely floored that Ions is trying to sell the idea with an absolutely horrible argument. The justification presented is just.... crap.
    Fel reavers zoomed out, vs fel reavers zoomed in/default zoom. Its quite significant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wing5wong View Post
    Fel reavers zoomed out, vs fel reavers zoomed in/default zoom. Its quite significant.
    Significant how?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I don't understand, that picture you linked looks like you can zoom out pretty far...
    Of coarse, there is no wall behind him and he is not a Tauren. This completely give the benefit to Gnomes and Goblins now. Tanks and melee get screwed. That's all we wanted now to look at the bosses sack in our face.

Significant how?
    In terms of how big things look.
    Looking up at something vs looking over its head adds a significantly differnt feel to an environment

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wing5wong View Post
    In terms of how big things look.
    Looking up at something vs looking over its head adds a significantly differnt feel to an environment
    LOL well no shit. Of course it does. But what I am talking about, and what Ions was talking about, is that things can look worse when zoomed out. Do Fell Reavers look worse when you are zoomed out? Its been awhile since i felt one creep up on my backside while roaming around Hellfire Peninsula but I don't recall Fell Reavers ever looking bad when I was zoomed out to max difference.

This is an utterly silly move on the part of Blizzard. It's an epic fail in FPS that try to lock the player to some max view, and it's even more of a silly move in an MMO where the vast majority of the play is cooperative.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    I don't see the reason for the change.. But as a tank I haven't felt I needed to be that far out since Malygos.. So I'm not too concerned about it, personally.
    So you never max zoomed on Thok? Garalon? Rhyolith? Beth'tilac or Shannox? Well you should of if you were a tank.

Just one more teensy reason to not buy this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really a crazy competitive raider, but I've never minded the max distance where it's already at and I've always played either tank or MDPS.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I think what stands out in my mind are times when I'd be zoomed out very far and be rotating the camera, and it gets pushed in by something. But that doesn't matter, really. Honestly, it's probably not the worst change in general if the main gripe is raid mechanics. If designed with a certain view distance in mind, that might just mean the encounters for Legion are fine from that distance.

In any case, the lack of communication of the change is the biggest issue. I'd say they should know by now that if they're not communicating a change like this that may seem "trivial" but, if they thought about it, realized it might not be...they might get huge lashback. And that's exactly what's happening on the forums and on here. I think his suggestion of allowing the slider to go as far as the console command allows was probably the easiest fix and way to actually make people HAPPY, not having to type that crap or have a macro to press, or addon that does it.

It's just a weird move in general. I foresee them changing it back, honestly. Would it be the end of the world if they don't? I doubt it. It probably won't make much of a difference in general. But you don't just ninja something from your people. It's actually hilarious how it's almost stated as a definitive change DURING A BETA. But I think people have to remember that since it is BETA, it can be reverted. Maybe...

LOL well no shit. Of course it does. But what I am talking about, and what Ions was talking about, is that things can look worse when zoomed out. Do Fell Reavers look worse when you are zoomed out? Its been awhile since i felt one creep up on my backside while roaming around Hellfire Peninsula but I don't recall Fell Reavers ever looking bad when I was zoomed out to max difference.
    Not really arguing that they look worse at farther distance, maybe i got the wrong impression.
    I think thats more along the lines of what they want to get at more than things look worse

Quote Originally Posted by Spryte View Post
    I've saw the blue post the other day, and all I can say is, I really hope this is some sort of extended practical joke by the Developers.
    No this is the dev's in legion they put this kind of mindset into the whole game so guess how fun legion will be...

If you need this to play the game properly, you shouldn't be playing the game.

"Oh but you won't be able to see as much!" who cares. The % that having that extra camera zoomed out to see shit would be -1% of it actually mattering, and then at the end of the day how hard is it to rotate your camera.

Plus to those of you who make the raid argument. Here's my counter - You're in a raid with at least 10 people, you have TEN DIFFERENT CAMERA ANGLES so if something is about to happen or starting to, you have TEN PEOPLE who can call it out and you can act accordingly.

It literally is not taking away any gameplay at all, heck it may even be ADDING to the experience by making you communicate more, which in a raid situation is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    If you need this to play the game properly, you shouldn't be playing the game.

"Oh but you won't be able to see as much!" who cares. The % that having that extra camera zoomed out to see shit would be -1% of it actually mattering, and then at the end of the day how hard is it to rotate your camera.

Plus to those of you who make the raid argument. Here's my counter - You're in a raid with at least 10 people, you have TEN DIFFERENT CAMERA ANGLES so if something is about to happen or starting to, you have TEN PEOPLE who can call it out and you can act accordingly.

It literally is not taking away any gameplay at all, heck it may even be ADDING to the experience by making you communicate more, which in a raid situation is how it should be.
    Spoken like someone that has actually no experience raiding in this expansion :^)

You'd already know that raiders are communicating with one another at the top level quite a lot, and actually react to things quicker because they have the ability to zoom out further.

All this change does is make the lives of melee miserable (infinitely so in legion with the plethora of pet specs thriving), and nauseate people from motion sickness.
    Last edited by Wynbolt; 2016-06-26 at 03:34 AM.

Makes me moderately sad, but I'll live.

Limitations that everyone has to abide by is just a change in the game design. It may be hard to get used to having a smaller view distance but you're at no disadvantage for it. I have noticed and somewhat been bugged by it but I feel like it's one of those things that will bother me for a month at most and then I'll forget it ever changed.