Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Figured I should warn people against LARPing as Economists

For More on How Quickly the Britbong Stocks Rebounded see Andrew Neil's twitter (@afneil). A British Newsman.

Since I almost have a master's degree in economics I'm not LARPing as an Economist. I am one.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Valuation tends to bounce around erratically until people stop freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Since I almost have a master's degree in economics I'm not LARPing as an Economist. I am one.
    Really? *Thumbs up*

<- econ minor in undergrad

Yeah, the economic crash was a bit of a let down. My retirement funds dropped a hair and bounced back.

My guess is everyone was prepared for the possibility of a leave vote.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly Celista, evees can't be economists

OT: Doesn't surprise me economy is relaxing.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well, I'm sure it'll be the worst anyway. All the smart people told me so. Only a silly person could believe that the United Kingdom is capable of a being an independent nation.

Would higher capital gains tax make the stock market more stable? People would be less likely to short sale their stocks even when something bad happens? I don't know much about investing in the stock market. Im asking for an opinion on what the effect would be of higher capital gains tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, I'm sure it'll be the worst anyway. All the smart people told me so. Only a silly person could believe that the United Kingdom is capable of a being an independent nation.
    Ive been told its more about being competitive.

There's no way individual nation states can survive in today's world. Imagine, for just a second, if South Korea decided to leave the United States. You think they can take care of themselves?

After a £250 billion cash injection, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Would higher capital gains tax make the stock market more stable? People would be less likely to short sale their stocks even when something bad happens? I don't know much about investing in the stock market. Im asking for an opinion on what the effect would be of higher capital gains tax.
    If you raised the capital gains taxes high enough to make that much of a difference, what would be the point of playing the market?

I short sold the day before, and did rather well, thank you.

But not as well as I did on the betting markets, which offered odds of 10 to 1!

Like I said in the other thread, Brexit is going to hurt weaker European economies more than it is going to hurt the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain is fixt.

Not like anyone resigned and the uncertainty of new elections. I mean, what happens when people realize their votes matter this time, and elect a pro-EU government to replace Cameron. How do markets react to irony?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Valuation tends to bounce around erratically until people stop freaking out.

Really? *Thumbs up*

<- econ minor in undergrad
    Yeah, and took a bunch of grad level classes getting a ways towards a masters, but Would have cost me a lot and wouldn't necessarily gotten me a job. So I didn't finish it out.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dholland662 View Post
    For More on How Quickly the Britbong Stocks Rebounded see Andrew Neil's twitter (@afneil). A British Newsman.

yes, no one expected anything else. the economic hit will happen when we leave and over the next 2 years and companies slowly and quietly move business elsewhere.

AN is deliberately misrepresenting this as he is basically a Tory PR machine.

Also, it cost us 250bn to reassure markets and recover a 90bn drop.....

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I put on my wizard hat and cast magic missile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post

Do you work as an economist? Cause until you actually do it in real life, your degree doesn't make you one.

Just saying man. I have a culinary arts cert, as well as completion of all my Business/MIS and Biotech degree and I am none of those things right now.

And economists are wrong a lot anyway. Not really something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Do you work as an economist? Cause until you actually do it in real life, your degree doesn't make you one.

Just saying man. I have a culinary arts cert, as well as completion of all my Business/MIS and Biotech degree and I am none of those things right now.

And economists are wrong a lot anyway. Not really something to be proud of.
    An economist is a professional in the social science discipline of economics.

Meh close enough.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, the economic crash was a bit of a let down. My retirement funds dropped a hair and bounced back.

My guess is everyone was prepared for the possibility of a leave vote.
    Most retirement funds are pretty conservative. So you will likely see your funds go up from people switching from risky stocks/funds to more stable stocks/funds.

Hardly an economist, but stocks tend to follow human nature. They're extremely pessimistic, and also have fairly short memories (thanks in no small part to people jumping on buy opportunities rather quickly)