10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I might shit talk a lot but honestly the people in this thread do have much better taste than what I see elsewhere. I've discovered a lot of really great shows because of you guys, shows I would've passed up because places like reddit and 4chan either don't talk about them or said they weren't any good. Example: Shinsekai Yori.

Oh, had a friend from NOLA call me crying this morning. She stayed up all night watching Madoka Magica. It was her first time watching anime; she said she remembered hearing me talk about it and she was browsing Netflix with no clue what to watch when it popped up in suggestions.

I'm proud of her, too, she said if she was going to watch anime she wanted the full experience so she switched to the Japanese audio.
    As her first? damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    yw .

I feel like even One Piece has some pacing problems and repetitive enemies (not quite what you were referring to with the stupid hierarchies), though that could just be the anime stretching things out from the manga. But a fight in Magi doesn't last 30 chapters, and if it does it's a battle that spans various stages, and the story progresses in quite a fast manner.
    One Piece's manga is a little slow (but the pages are extremely busy, compared to say... bleach), but then the anime brings it down to a snail pace. By hierarchies I'm referring to how they set up the world of 4 oceans + grand line + new world, in addition to establishing the three world powers (marines, yonkou, schibukai) with the World Govt controlling two of those factions. The series has never written itself out of those bounds it set up years ago.

As for comparing it to Magi, think of each significant island they travel to as some kind of Balbadd or Magnostadt, and each comfy island they travel to as some kind of Sindria.

30 chapter fights in One Piece are due to multi-stage shit too. They end up covering each crew member winning their individual fights simultaneously etc, which causes a similar problem to say Game of Thrones where there are too many perspectives at play so it takes forever to update the viewers on each one. I've noticed in recent arcs that Oda has been splitting up the OP crew and focusing on half at a time most likely in order to combat that very problem.
    Last edited by Radio; 2016-06-26 at 11:40 AM.

Deleted
    I might shit talk a lot but honestly the people in this thread do have much better taste than what I see elsewhere. I've discovered a lot of really great shows because of you guys, shows I would've passed up because places like reddit and 4chan either don't talk about them or said they weren't any good. Example: Shinsekai Yori.

Oh, had a friend from NOLA call me crying this morning. She stayed up all night watching Madoka Magica. It was her first time watching anime; she said she remembered hearing me talk about it and she was browsing Netflix with no clue what to watch when it popped up in suggestions.

I'm proud of her, too, she said if she was going to watch anime she wanted the full experience so she switched to the Japanese audio.
    Nothing's better than watching Madoka without any idea what is it about and getting to ep03. I know what imma talking about, I watched it the same way.

That being said, I'm not so sure about picking one of the best deconstruction shows in existence as your first anime title. I mean, it's good to start from the good stuff, but you also kinda lose out a bit watching it without knowing the genre it's targeting beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    As her first? damn.
    Yeah, she was fucking bawling. When I was asking her what was making her cry so hard she couldn't even form a sentence lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Nothing's better than watching Madoka without any idea what is it about and getting to ep03. I know what imma talking about, I watched it the same way.

That being said, I'm not so sure about picking one of the best deconstruction shows in existence as your first anime title. I mean, it's good to start from the good stuff, but you also kinda lose out a bit watching it without knowing the genre it's targeting beforehand.
    She said she thought it was going to be like Sailor Moon and she got nostalgic about the old Toonami days when she'd watch it occasionally with her older sister, so she wasn't completely blind to the magical girl genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, she was fucking bawling. When I was asking her what was making her cry so hard she couldn't even form a sentence lol
    I've cried watching a few anime, but Clannad:AS was the only one that actually had me bawling.

Deleted
    She said she thought it was going to be like Sailor Moon and she got nostalgic about the old Toonami days when she'd watch it occasionally with her older sister, so she wasn't completely blind to the magical girl genre.
    Oh, in this case it's the fucking perfect choice. Get her to watch Rebellion now, gotta deal the finishing blow while wounds are still fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    I'm sure they do. This thread is in a higher realm per se.
    I was in one of those during the first few days after launch because I needed the guild wage to buy crafting mats. Was ok for the first 1-2 days, but then it became swamped with idiotic 16 year olds shit talking everything but endless shounen. In the end I got kicked from it because I used too much sarcasm against those people, but hey, getting fired got me enough silver through the redundancy fee to buy the mats I needed, so I sure as hell didn't mind.

Oh, in this case it's the fucking perfect choice. Get her to watch Rebellion now, gotta deal the finishing blow while wounds are still fresh.
    She did ask about the movies, told her if she was gonna watch Rebellion she'd better prepare herself.

That is pure evil...

Deleted
    She did ask about the movies, told her if she was gonna watch Rebellion she'd better prepare herself.
    Oh, but it's so cute, especially the sequence starting when Homura finally pieces the puzzle together.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    That is pure evil...
    C'mon, we both know the results are far better if you twist the already embedded knife instead of giving the wound time to heal.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2016-06-26 at 12:05 PM.

idk why she's so bent outta shape Madoka Magica is adorable

I cried watching Eragon, but that was mainly because the adaptation was so horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    I cried watching Eragon, but that was mainly because the adaptation was so horrible.
    Totally understandable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Gotten teary eyed and cried a bit with some, but the only thing I ever watched that really had me bawling was a non-anime movie.
    For some reason real movies etc don't tend to even make me shed a tear, and it's been that way since long before I started weebing on anime.

I cry during like everything. I took all my points out of height during character creation and put them all into empathy and being a wuss.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I wiped my HDD and need to install a new MAL updater. I was using Taiga but thought I saw some people recommending a different one but cba to go back and dig for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    You know me, I usually don't even watch movies, but a friend told me about Synecdoche;New York last year and it was the first actual movie I watched of my own volition in my free time ever and I just cried like a bitch when the credits started rolling. I honestly still don't really know why.
    I watched the trailer for that years ago and it still looks like a tremendous movie; never seen it but probably should. Only movie I can recently recall to make me cry was 12 Years a Slave.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 hours til Emilia~tan

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm now that flying witch is over (hopefully there will be a second season) what do I watch to fill the flying witch shaped hole in my heart?

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Deleted
    I think I got my new favourite gif from Black Lagoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cry watching almost everything...
    I mean, I cried like a hopeless baby when (Fate Zero spoilers)Iskandar died for example.

I cried so many times watching anime, I think I just can't hold the emotions and get touched way too easily.