Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samus View Post
    Well considering there's 28% of people who didn't vote, I would say it's a fairly important matter and everyone should be voting. Plus what about all the people living abroad (EU and other countries) who didn't receive their postal vote?

There will be a second vote. It will almost certain be a win for remain at a bigger gap.
    What makes you think that 28% will suddenly vote, if anything the number will increase because people will think 'why bother if a petition erases my vote 2 days later'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Referendums aren't legally binding, so holding one and making it binding is already a slap in the face of democracy.

Not to mention to pass laws and important matters legally it always requires a 2/3rd majority, for one partition to rule on it's own it requires 2/3rd of the majority. The fact that Brexit which essentially is one party, is 8% short of that 2/3rd majority, it theoretically means the vote is invalid. There's enough loopholes that can undo this referendum granted that there's a majority for it in the parliament.
    Not relevant to the UK.

And I'm fairly sure this will happen, there will be new elections before Cameron goes, and then seeing at how many people regretted it and how shit their economy has become over those months, it will make a lot of the leavers vote for pro EU partitions and the referendum vote will be undone (granted that the pro EU partitions get that 2/3rd majority).
    Cameron leaving is a change in Tory leadership, we do not directly elect the party leaders, so there is no real reason to believe we would need a General Election - we did not have one when Brown took over from Blair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Keep calling for referendums until you get the results you want?
    That's the European, or rather, EU's understanding of democracy, yes. We've already seen it with what happened in Ireland regarding the Lisbon Treaty, and elsewhere.

My thoughts on this absurd proposition are as follows:

1) Who honestly believes that 'Remain' would do anything but laugh at a petition that argues we should ignore the result of this referendum if 'Remain' had won? Never mind change the law, just because the desired result was not achieved?

2) There are a lot of people arguing that NI/Scotland (and potentially Wales) should not be affected by Brexit, or that the vote does not reflect these countries' will respectively. Nonetheless, they are part of the country we call the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, first and foremost - and so cannot (or should not) selectively decide when they are and are not 'British'. If 'Remain' had won, I'm sure it would be argued that they are British to the bone. If people are arguing that these countries should get special treatment, and be allowed to remain in the EU, why stop there? Why stop at the 'country' subset/level? Why not counties? Towns? Neighbourhoods? Individuals? Our maps would look far messier than those of Pre-Unification Germany/Prussia ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    My bad mixed up the second terrible vote with the first one. So we still end up with half a divided country, the actual point of my argument not the deflection.

So were you a part of the referendum, did you live and work here whilst it happened? Did you get to see your "elected" officials and figureheads turn on you as a nation for even thinking of self determination, the insults and mockery, the campaign of fear, going to elderly peoples homes and telling them they wont have their pensions, or straight up lying on national television like the EU referendum and NHS funding.

I somehow doubt you did.
    I've seen that shit during both from the US, the same appeals to emotion and claims of racism.
    our media is worse over here in the states, but god yours is almost as bad.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

Deleted
    I heard it coming with new legislation on wether the referendums are binding. Certain percentages of participation and the sort. That would be the tie breaker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    No just no,

Where did you get your 2/3 majority from. That is the rule in USA, not Britain...
    I stand corrected.

The point still stands, referendums are not legally binding by law, to make them legally binding on a promise, is essentially an illegal act against the law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not relevant to the UK.

Cameron leaving is a change in Tory leadership, we do not directly elect the party leaders, so there is no real reason to believe we would need a General Election - we did not have one when Brown took over from Blair.
    You can be certain there will be a push for elections, it's pretty much unavoidable at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I heard it coming with new legislation on wether the referendums are binding. Certain percentages of participation and the sort. That would be the tie breaker.
    The rules are set before the referendum, so no retroactive legislation is possible.

We could, and arguably should, have set some rules regarding such a decision but anything that favoured one side would have caused massive issues, so a simple majority was just about the only feasible way to do it.

The side I backed lost, people need to stop the temper tantrums and get on with making the best of what we have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If a party wins the next elections in the UK with a clear platform of cancelling the leave vote and a clear majority, then and only then would there be a clear mandate for a second referendum. It would still be disastrous; what is critical now is that the UK shows confidence in its decision and acts as swiftly and promptly as possible in all proceedings so that there is as little financial backlash possible.

Similarly if the SNP wins Scotland with a clear majority, there should be a mandate for a referendum on Scottish independence.

Holding another referendum on anything less would be a mockery of democracy.
    The backlash will be worse once they leave the EU. Right now what you are seeing is nothing. The worst part on financial markets is yet to come.

The only reason why it's still ok right now is because foreign investors still have hope that it won't happen, because article 50 has still not been invoked. Merkel is stalling as well, and the fact that the EU is coming with a flexible system regarding integration and immigration plans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    If we end up having a second referendum then it'll be the worst thing to happen to democracy in a long time.
    The first referendum was probably the worst thing to happen to democracy in a long time. It should never have taken place. It was an incredibly selfish way for the Tory party to resolve an internal disagreement.

If there were only safeguards to protect against this. Oh wait, there are. Referenda are not binding in the UK. They are essentially just a survey of the people. 90% of Americans would oppose a ban on firearms, but every intelligent person outside the US knows that they should. 80% of Russians oppose same-sex marriage, should they continue to oppress gays? No, they shouldn't. There is a reason why we democratically elect intelligent people to run our countries: mob-mentality is not the best way to guide a people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    You can be certain there will be a push for elections, it's pretty much unavoidable at this point.
    People push for things they are not going to get all the time...like a second referendum and a General Election before 2020.

Deleted
    We should have a referendum about having all future decisions that will change the fate of our nation be conducted in the best and most open manner possible, the X Factor format.

I just can't believe some of the stories I've seen online of people "regretting their vote".

People have said they only voted to leave because they thought their vote wouldn't matter, and they actually wanted to stay.

Why in the fuck would you vote for the opposite of what you want just because you think your vote doesn't matter? Why not just vote for what you want and be done with it?

This petition isn't likely to gain any traction in my opinion.
    Firstly it isn't legally binding, as it was not in place and in law before the referendum.
    Plus there are allegations of fraud due to a "suspicious" number coming from outside the UK, votes in numbers even larger than the populations of the areas they are supposed to be coming from.

Ironic is that the petition was created by a pro-leave supporter when the very early results were in favour of staying, but it has since been hijacked by the pro-remain supporters.
    That is unfortunately due to the generic wording, about the conditions in which the results were obtained rather than what they were.

I think the constant bickering and media campaigns have made it hard for people to really understand the potential consequences for leaving.
    Therefore that in my view is why some are regretting the leave vote, now that the real consequences of it are sinking in.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-06-26 at 02:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    The main problem is that half of the shit the remain camp used as propaganda has instantly fell on its arse, like the NHS funding which people voted on the basis of. You then have a tonne of fucking retards who voted leave "for a laugh", the even more retarded bigots and racists voting leave and then all the old cunts who aren't even going to be alive more than ten years also voting for us to "go back to GREAT Britain".

Democracy is the rule of the stupid.

Tbh, only experts can guess how this pan out. There's pro's and cons on both sides. Everyone is just regretting their decision because the pound dropped in worth alot. Which is a kneejerk reaction, and does not reflect how this may pan out.

Deleted
    I'm of 2 minds about this

On the one hand, I think if there was a 2nd referendum, remain vote would win, because let's face it, remain is by far the more sensible option

On the other hand, this would lead to many populist parties to claim - rightly - that democracy is a lie, that we're just going to keep holding referendums until the establishment gets the result it wants - and that could lead to a very different kind of instability: actual violent uprising

This whole referendum was a seemingly good gamble that has backfired spectacularly and we are all going to pay the price, in the UK but also, and much more so, Europe

Deleted
    I don't know, while certainly there is no legal obligation to hold elections, the leave vote is tantamount to a vote of no confidence for the government that campaigned in favor of remain.
    But the political party that currently holds government was split on the issue, and the Prime Minister that they will elect will undoubtably be someone who supported Leave.

The Leave vote should not have been a vote of no confidence in the government, and anyone who cast there ballot into Leave thinking that they were sticking it to Cameron is a retard. That said Cameron shouldn't have got involved at all, he should have called the Referendum then stayed well clear.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh ffs just ask the Queen already.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, while certainly there is no legal obligation to hold elections, the leave vote is tantamount to a vote of no confidence for the government that campaigned in favor of remain.
    The next leader of the Conservative Party could well be Boris and he campaigned to leave.

An issue here is that the two camps were not entirely split along party lines, so what you are saying would be more true for Labour, but not so much for the Tories.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh ffs just ask the Queen already.
    We should have a referendum about letting the Queen take over.