Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Beta testers: Is the Demon Hunter class fun?

The time for the new class is coming closer and closer (without any estimates yet besides the official release at August 30), and many of us are probably wondering about how DH are atm.

So... Are they fun? What's good about them, what's bad. Are you convinced to main one, or was it to boring (if yes, why?)

Demon Hunters are an excellent new class, full of great lore and gameplay mechanics. I've played pretty much exclusively vengeance for my short time in beta, and it is a lot of fun!

PROS:
    Very fluid gameplay
    Lots of utility in the form of sigils
    You can change up your gameplay quite a bit from a more passive gameplay style, to a more active style involving lots of cooldowns.

CONS:
    Only one major tank CD

Will I be maining a vengeance demon hunter? Oh god yes, they feel like they will be quite strong. I plan on doing mythic dungeons+ runs with my limited play time, so playing a tank makes sense. As for Havoc, it also seems quite strong!

I won't comment from a PvE perspective

but from a PvP side of things:

Havok: No. It's more brain dead than a live Frost DK, requiring incredibly specific talents, and a play style that's entirely contrary to the entirety of the class fantasy.

Vengeance: This on the other hand, is among the most mechanically fun specs to PvP on..... That being said, it needs pretty significant nerfs, like most tanks right now..... and there are going to be some needed mechanical changes ("Jagged Spikes" being a 100% melee damage reflect, that's up 40-80% of the time, being the largest example).

The spec ironically feels like the least ability pruned spec in the entire game that I've tested (ironic because the spec was designed entirely after the prune took place)......

As we enter the final stretch of Beta here, it will be interesting to see how Blizz iterates on Havocs numerous mechanical problems..... and how well Vengeance perseveres through the needed nerf bat assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore92 View Post
    Demon Hunters are an excellent new class, full of great lore and gameplay mechanics. I've played pretty much exclusively vengeance for my short time in beta, and it is a lot of fun!

PROS:
    Very fluid gameplay
    Lots of utility in the form of sigils
    You can change up your gameplay quite a bit from a more passive gameplay style, to a more active style involving lots of cooldowns.

CONS:
    Only one major tank CD

Will I be maining a vengeance demon hunter? Oh god yes, they feel like they will be quite strong. I plan on doing mythic dungeons+ runs with my limited play time, so playing a tank makes sense. As for Havoc, it also seems quite strong!
    Thanks for the input man! I also plan on leveling a Vengeance, and probably maining it. After all everyone needs some fresh air once in a while..

Deleted
    Can DHs activate glide multiple times during one fall? Never seen anyone do it on stream or a video.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mildren View Post
    Can DHs activate glide multiple times during one fall? Never seen anyone do it on stream or a video.
    Yeah we just "pop" it by double jumping followed by hitting space bar again (so pressing space bar x3 in effect), or just naturally free falling, we can can cancel it and recast it it in mid air if we want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drosul View Post
    I won't comment from a PvE perspective

but from a PvP side of things:

Havok: No. It's more brain dead than a live Frost DK, requiring incredibly specific talents, and a play style that's entirely contrary to the entirety of the class fantasy.

Vengeance: This on the other hand, is among the most mechanically fun specs to PvP on..... That being said, it needs pretty significant nerfs, like most tanks right now..... and there are going to be some needed mechanical changes ("Jagged Spikes" being a 100% melee damage reflect, that's up 40-80% of the time, being the largest example).

The spec ironically feels like the least ability pruned spec in the entire game that I've tested (ironic because the spec was designed entirely after the prune took place)......

As we enter the final stretch of Beta here, it will be interesting to see how Blizz iterates on Havocs numerous mechanical problems..... and how well Vengeance perseveres through the needed nerf bat assault.
    I totally agree with you here, I've generally always played DPS main spec followed by healer (always keeping clear of playing a tank), But I tried Vengeance for sake of it, and to be honest I enjoy the play style of tank alot more than the DPS spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by redcisse09 View Post
    Yeah we just "pop" it by double jumping followed by hitting space bar again (so pressing space bar x3 in effect), or just naturally free falling, we can can cancel it and recast it it in mid air if we want.
    Nice! Thanks for the info.

I can see how they might be annoying in PvP. They are powerful and mobile. Seems only natural for Blizz to balance that out by making them die quickly to ranged attackers.

I am not a PvPer. I've only explored them in leveling.

And they've been great fun. The jumping and rushing all over the place creates a very distinct class fantasy. Once used to it, I had a lot of fun with my Demon Hunter, and will definitely be rolling one.

So, I can't advise you on how well they perform in raiding or PvP. But are they fun to play? To me, very fun indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by redcisse09 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I totally agree with you here, I've generally always played DPS main spec followed by healer (always keeping clear of playing a tank), But I tried Vengeance for sake of it, and to be honest I enjoy the play style of tank alot more than the DPS spec.

I've found the same. Even just on training dummies, trying to DPS as Vengeance just feels "better" to me than havoc.

Vengeance definitely feels better than havoc but I still intend to main havoc. I always forget and try to double jump on my live characters. Havoc feels basic until you level up more and get more abilities. After playing havoc I just can't go back to my warrior.

My biggest gripe with havoc is the lack of self heals. You can ONLY pull a good size group if you can kill one mob really fast to get a healing orb and then keep killing one at a time to keep getting orbs to maintain your health. It's doable but you really have to plan out stuff. Vengeance on the other hand is not a problem.

Demon Hunter is fun, for like 1 - 5 levels, after that it gets boring. 2 Buttons to press isn't fun, and only in AoE-Situations there are more buttons. It's like Arcane Mage in Wotlk, brainless button pressing. Don't know why Blizzard didn't inclues a dot, buff or something to track, just watching on fury bar isn't fun though.

The Tankspec was very much fun for me, but needs a final touch, something to round up things better, but for now it's fun and maybe I'm too picky. ^^

Deleted
    I wonder if people that are saying demon hunter have 2 spell rotation even play the beta? Sorry but if you play momentum spec which is one of the top builds in pve for havoc, you use 6-7 spells on snigle target. It's far more complex than some specs in legion.

Quote Originally Posted by xguciox View Post
    I wonder if people that are saying demon hunter have 2 spell rotation even play the beta? Sorry but if you play momentum spec which is one of the top builds in pve for havoc, you use 6-7 spells on snigle target. It's far more complex than some specs in legion.
    I'll admit that prior to getting beta I was extremely sceptical when hearing about the momentum build, it's actually pretty fun though.

I had intended to main a DK, however leaning closer and closer to DH.

I've been playing it since the Beta started. Havoc is fun for pve. I enjoy 5 man, world quests, world bosses and finally got into an LFR yesterday.

For Havoc

Pros:
    Intro is solid. Up there with DK starting area.
    Mobility is fun as hell. On live I keep finding myself trying to double jump and glide when playing my rogue. It just becomes so natural.
    Visually the class is stunning. Eye beam, blade dance, meta and such are all enjoyable to watch. The combat animations are very fluid.
    The momentum play style is definitely one of the better I've had in awhile. Once you are used to it, it can be very capable.
    Our class hall is one of the better ones.

Cons:
    Leveling to 110 is definitely a weak side. Without several of our talents we feel extremely week.
    Self healing is limited, but there can be a work around with the demonic talent. We're don't have the most durability, but we're not completely worthless. Just takes some planning and being alert.

Mehs:
    Our artifact is kind of lackluster. The gold traits really don't impact our rotation or dps nearly as much as the filler traits. It's well balanced for sure, but kind of a let down.

I see a fair few quiting it early since more than other classes, DH really really need their talents to be fun. Once it gets the talents though its fairly good!

That said they are hamstringed horribly from a PvP standpoint due to metamorphosis. To much is built into this ability to the point where they are a one trick pony: you're only worthwhile if you're in demon form. I dont see this ever changing unless they nerf meta to buff other aspects.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-06-27 at 01:22 PM.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Havoc (PvE):

Yes, it is fun. Not so much on level 100 when you start but DH starts to shine once you get all the talents and the important artifact traits on level 110. It's definitely one of the better specs in Legion and offers some interesting complexity and skill caps (if you want to). But it's also 'easy to play' at the same time with some builds if you're not into min-maxing.

Note: It's not a 2-button spec.

(honestly, stop spewing that nonsense. If you're playing with only 2 buttons you're doing it wrong.)

The visuals are also great and the lore in the game around them is really interesting - which is not surprising because the whole expansion is basically built around DHs.

Of course, the spec isn't perfect (yet) in all areas and there are some things that I'd like to see changed but in general these are minor issues (to me), especially when comparing to other specs/classes in Legion that really got royally fucked.

I will definitely main Havoc DH for Mythic raiding in Legion. After having played Beta I'm really looking forward to it!

Vengeance:

Not tested this spec much because I'm not such much into tanking but I can say that the overall feel and design of the spec is even better executed than Havoc IMO. Most of the spec's mechanics and gameplay just make sense. If I wanted to play a Tank it would definitely be a Vengeance DH. It might be the first time that I'll be playing Tank more often for Mythic+ Dungeons or so - and that's saying much because I'm a DPS whore naturally

Dunno if the 'real' Vengeance DHs here might disagree but that's the impression I've got from my limited testing.
    Last edited by chooi; 2016-06-27 at 01:35 PM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

So if Momentum is the best build, you're want to telling me that this is fun? Jump away from your target just to fel rush against it, or run toward the target, or use eye beam as time filler, srsly?
    It doesn't makes any sense in the realistic view, why do I have to jump away from my target to deal more damage? It's nonsense even if it makes the most DPS, then it's gameplay specific a complete broken spec imo.

And if u "don't" play Momentum Talent, then it's a two button spec right now, because just 2 buttons makes sense in dps, and one 45 sec cooldown (eye beam) for getting into demon form, so it's a 2 button gameplay, "if you don't play momentum".

so where did I shared nonsense, tell me please?

I think the most problematic thing is the balancing of the skills right now, there are some skills that need to be more powerful to be useful in a single target situation "if u don't want to play these nonsense momentum build", which isn't my idea of fun.

Maybe u're right, I was kind of wrong, but it's my opinion. I didn't want to play Momentum shit because of the idiotic idea of that, and if u don't do, then it's a 2 button spec with a 45 sec cooldown and if I'm wrong again, then why the hell is anyone talking about the ability to make decisions with the new talent system? It's even worse than the old if there's no real choice to make, so why the hell do you guys say me that I don't should share "nonsense" if it isn't nonsense at all?

Maybe we can discuss this a little bit more with some kind of respect to each other, I accept your opinion, even if I don't understand and hopefully u try to understand my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenox View Post
    So if Momentum is the best build, you're want to telling me that this is fun? Jump away from your target just to fel rush against it, or run toward the target, or use eye beam as time filler, srsly?
    It doesn't makes any sense in the realistic view, why do I have to jump away from my target to deal more damage? It's nonsense even if it makes the most DPS, then it's gameplay specific a complete broken spec imo.

And if u "don't" play Momentum Talent, then it's a two button spec right now, because just 2 buttons makes sense in dps, and one 45 sec cooldown (eye beam) for getting into demon form, so it's a 2 button gameplay, "if you don't play momentum".

I think the most problematic thing is the balancing of the skills right now, there are some skills that need to be more powerful to be useful in a single target situation "if u don't want to play these nonsense momentum build", which isn't my idea of fun.

Maybe u're right, I was kind of wrong, but it's my opinion. I didn't want to play Momentum shit because of the idiotic idea of that, and if u don't do, then it's a 2 button spec with a 45 sec cooldown and if I'm wrong again, then why the hell is anyone talking about the ability to make decisions with the new talent system? It's even worse than the old if there's no real choice to make, so why the hell do you guys say me that I don't should share "nonsense" if it isn't nonsense at all?

Maybe we can discuss this a little bit more with some kind of respect to each other, I accept your opinion, even if I don't understand and hopefully u try to understand my point of view.
    102: adds another ability via felblade or first blood
    106: adds another rotational ability via momentum (actually 2 abilities, rush AND retreat) or fel eruption or CD via nemesis
    110: adds another ability via fel barrage or CD via chaos blades or more meta uptime via demonic

that's 3-4 additional rotational abilities added via talents.

Even without momentum its more than a two button rotation once you start figuring in talents.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

VR>EB>FR- Spam Annihilation
    VR>Fel Blade - Spam Chaos Strike
    FR - Fel Blade - Spam Chaos Strike

It makes sense in the idea of you flying up and swooping down onto your target for a burst of damage.

Add felblade and it's 3 buttons, use demon blades and you're back to 2. But thinking that "only 2 buttons" makes it a weak rotation is silly and really only mentioned by anyone that hasn't actually played it.

Nemesis/Demon Reborn/Chaos Blades is a "simpler" way to play. The majority of your time you will indeed be using demon's bite, chaos strike and felbade. Then every 2 minutes you'll pool energy and dump massive damage with chaos blades. This isn't much different than several classes that have been pruned in Legion.

I'd say it might be better to hold off judgement until you've played it in Beta.