Page 1 of 3
LastLast

American conservatives and TV

Not a Star Wars or Star Trek fan but I love action, adventure, and badass weapons and badass spaceships! I did love Stargate SG-1 when they had Richard Dean Anderson on it.

I think the term spaceship is boring! I prefer the word orbital battlecruiser or stealth attack destroyer!

Most of the people I know who read sci fi books or watch sci fi TV are left wing and moderate.

The people I know who are right wing are into reality TV, Sitcoms, Fox News, and/or religious programming.

So is there a perception that the genre is too liberal? Too scientific? And don't these people know about sci fi with badass military people as protagonists?

Sci Fi is usually a very progressive genre with stuff against racism like in original star trek among other things. Or going into concept s with aliens that apply to humans etc.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

i am kind of into everything but reality tv, but politically i guess i kind of in the middle, i but i also know plenty of people that i know for sure votes right wing but also in the sci-fi and fantasy genre

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Interesting because Gene Roddenberry fought in WW2, in the Air Force, he was awarded the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross.

Before Star Trek he did a lot of Cop shows... and when he did create Star Trek, a lot of of it was based on his time in the Air Force (Starfleet)... all under one "group" (The Federation)...

The Star Trek show itself takes place under a militaristic order. It just happened to entwine the Air Force, Science, Tech, and Philosophy all into one show. People usually miss the military part of it, though there are people out there that think it has to much militaristic propaganda in it...
    Star Trek had some cheesy ideological stunts. I had a good eye roll when they introduced Ferengi. Obviously the most disgusting thing in any galaxy are capitalists.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Star Wars, the Republic is liberal, while the Empire is conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Science fiction often is about exploring what it means to be human, i.e. how we react to new & revolutionary ideas (AI, Aliens, Interstellar-travel etc). I could buy that this sort of genre interests "progressives" more (the hint is in the name).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

sounds like another way liberals can act superior. hey we own sci-fi and anything intelligent related.

Klingons = Russians
    Klingons use money, while the federation are actual commies, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    sounds like another way liberals can act superior. hey we own sci-fi and anything intelligent related.
    Is that what you are getting from the OP? Because the OP just really hates conservatives and right-wing as per his post history.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know plenty of conservatives, myself included, who like scifi.

You're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Sci Fi is usually a very progressive genre with stuff against racism like in original star trek among other things. Or going into concept s with aliens that apply to humans etc.
    The best Sci Fi is the kind that explores the possibilities of what we might be like if we have different tech or circumstances. It's hard to really get in to much of that without some morality factors too.

7+ Year Old Account
    ... When I watched it, I did not associate them with capitalists... but with nomadic traders loosely based on semitic people. Basically like the silk trade, if it became a space faring culture.
    In their first episode Data describes them as "Yankee Traders". Also they made them to be massive misogynists, cut throat, and only care about profit.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-06-27 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need more fascism in your sci fi movie library, there's always Starship Troopers. Would you like to know more?

Writers tend to be ultra left wing commies for some reason.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Writers tend to be ultra left wing commies for some reason.
    Considering how often right wingers put-down liberal arts and liberal arts degrees like creative writing... its a total shocker.

I really only liked Deep Space 9 because the Federation was boring and DP9 had a lot more interesting cultures and people explored on a regular basis. Not just 1 off episodes on random planet #323422.

I don't know, I just don't find Sci-fi to be all that interesting in general. Sci-fi tends to be focused on how humanity is the best. Like the Federation in Star Trek. Yeah, it's made up of lots of planets with all kinds of species, but at the end of the day it's humans that run the show. It just get's boring and it happens in a lot of fantasy settings.

Better be a pseudo-intellectual than a person telling others to drink bleach, and calling them names. But to each their own I guess.
    I wonder who's account that is because it would be too sad otherwise if it was actually his hobby to go from forum to forum trolling people and getting banned.

Well, that is because most actors are human.... hard to have real Aliens on a show created on Earth. Seriously though, I think they also just lack the budget to have a Jar Jar Binks type character on the TV show. Though maybe not now... the tech has improved by a lot and become cheaper.
    It's not like Star Trek never had aliens, they just have a group of them show up for 1 episode, talk about how backwards/strange their culture is, and then go back to humans. It seemed a lot like, "Humans are the best!" chest thumping to me.

DS9 didn't have that so much, the regular cast was mostly aliens.

This forum has a unhealthy obsession with conservatives and Donald Trump
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I know plenty of conservatives, myself included, who like scifi.

You're doing it wrong.
    I also consider myself conservative who likes Sci-fi, though there were times that all the new Star Trek next Gens really got preachy and had some strong liberal vibe going. So much that some episodes were painful to sit through. The best shows (sci-fi or not) are the ones where they really leave it up to the viewer to make the decision or even better, a show that challenges your beliefs, without having to lecture you through it. There aren't that many great shows in general and Sci-Fi does tend to lean more liberal than conservative.