Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by user12317 View Post
    Oh yeah, that pseudo-intellectual psychedelic head signature. Drink bleach faggot.
    Having fun, trashtalking from an anonymous burner account, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Not enough cheerleaders, imo.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Not sure.. in real life Im almost far right liberal but I like Star Trek even though the society there is communist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    More on the Fenagi:

"In the book Religions of Star Trek, Ross S. Kraemer wrote that "Ferengi religion seems almost a parody of Judaism. Critics have pointed out a disturbing correlation between Ferengi attributes (love of profit that overrides communal decency; the large, sexualized head feature, in this case ears) and negative Jewish stereotypes."

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=Ag...page&q&f=false
    lol I never noticed any of that. They definitely gave them a strong stereotype and theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? Lol I haven’t noticed any correlation between political standings and what programmes people watch. I have liberal and conservative friends, more of the liberals watch reality TV than the conservatives, but that’s just based on my small group of people that I know their watching habits. I know both liberals and conservatives that watch Sci-Fi as well.

These people are also usually pro military.

If so why aren't they interested in fiction featuring badass military action type characters?

I find myself drawn to dystopian scifi more than futuristic stuff though there are some gems out there.

Society breaks down and we have to rebuild somewhere else kind of stuff (book called Lucifer's Hammer is one of my favorites and of course Firefly), or starting from scratch on a new world (Earth2) and stories where the characters are just out there flying by their wits and quite a bit of luck (Any Stargate, Farscape, Babyon 5 and ST:Voyager).

Didn't like Battlestar Galactica though, but then I read the old books and I just couldn't reconcile the story and character changes.
    Last edited by Raeph; 2016-06-27 at 11:31 PM.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Didn't like Battlestar Galactica though, but then I read the old books and I just couldn't reconcile the story and character changes.
    I only watched the show and I liked it.. but the ending was just.. off. Why would they get rid of all the technology? Plus 30k+ people are more than enough to rebuild society. It just didnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Try Dark Matter, it is a pretty interesting concept, though some of the sets are pretty cheesy. (It is pretty low budget).

But it takes place in a semi-dystopian future, where corporations have basically become governments. They also have Wil Wheaton on it
    Shut up Wesley!
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2016-06-28 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I really only liked Deep Space 9 because the Federation was boring and DP9 had a lot more interesting cultures and people explored on a regular basis. Not just 1 off episodes on random planet #323422.
    So basically, you prefer an arc-based series to an episodic series.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    I only watched the show and I liked it.. but the ending was just.. off. Why would they get rid of all the technology? Plus 30k+ people are more than enough to rebuild society. It just didnt make sense.
    They did rebuild the society. Also it's explained why they got rid of all the ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    They did rebuild the society. Also it's explained why they got rid of all the ships.
    No it didnt.. and didnt explain why they had to breed with the primitives. Getting rid of all their past, culture, knowledge ... was just moronic. No one in their right mind would just do that.

Sci Fi has been taken over by SJWs. If you want blue Sci Fi checkout http://www.castaliahouse.com/
    People are unused to truth.
    People follow consistent truth.
    Respect the power and impact of truth.
    Men who speak truth drive value.

Yeah I saw the first ep of Dark Matter on Netflix. Was impressed actually. My wife binge-watched the first season and said it was really good. I just haven't had time to get back into it.

Definitely going to. Seems like a good one for character development.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Every person I know that is "right-wing" is into everything you are saying they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Not a Star Wars or Star Trek fan but I love action, adventure, and badass weapons and badass spaceships! I did love Stargate SG-1 when they had Richard Dean Anderson on it.

I think the term spaceship is boring! I prefer the word orbital battlecruiser or stealth attack destroyer!

Most of the people I know who read sci fi books or watch sci fi TV are left wing and moderate.

The people I know who are right wing are into reality TV, Sitcoms, Fox News, and/or religious programming.

So is there a perception that the genre is too liberal? Too scientific? And don't these people know about sci fi with badass military people as protagonists?
    You know there are stats on media watching by political stance.

I realize this forum is a circlejerk (I tolerate it because left wingers are digging their own grave this way) but mein gotte

BTW, the creator of Battlestar Galactica is LDS granted not all are republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Sci Fi is usually a very progressive genre with stuff against racism like in original star trek among other things. Or going into concept s with aliens that apply to humans etc.
    Which was honestly dumb. It's imparting the biases of the author onto a universe which in no way would be fair. Hence why I notice more right wingers like Lovecraft (his shtick is that basic idea).

Neoreactionaries even use lovecraftian terms for their ideas

Let me guess Hollywood is out to get them.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Klingons use money, while the federation are actual commies, tho.
    Not quite. American Progressives saw the USSR as a vehicle for Russian Nationalism. Ie betrayed Marx and was too jingoistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    If you need more fascism in your sci fi movie library, there's always Starship Troopers. Would you like to know more?

Lots of fiction is fascist. Progressives even wrote essays on it

Tolkien, Lovecraft, Heinlein.