Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The amounts of pussies in this thread who would rather talk things out with home invaders is too damn high.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Then you're all insane. Literally insane because you are suggesting people with guns should think irrationally when using their weapon.
    What would a rational armed mother with 2 children do in that situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    He was trespassing and was a threat to children by being there....pretty sure the burden of proof lies with the deceased (you see what I did there?)
    That's not trespassing, it's felony burglary/breaking and entering .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    The amounts of pussies in this thread who would rather talk things out with home invaders is too damn high.
    Pretty sure nobody here would as calm and collected in the situation. Bravado does nothing here but hey calling people pussies really makes your argument valid /s
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The intruder has been identified as David Daniel McCrary.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/portla...uder/256234379

He did have mental health issues. His motive is still unknown

The police do not anticipate pressing charges.

Oh, and apparently, he was also armed.

http://patch.com/oregon/portland/wom...childs-bedroom
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-06-28 at 03:06 AM.

The fact that this thread got 35 pages shows that some people need to step away from the keyboard. This is a pretty clear case of conservative wanting to show guns in a good light. It's not newsworthy at all, especially not on here.

There isn't even really controversy that people are complaining about. It's just that a few people think that talking would have been a good first option instead of just shooting. Both are reasonable decisions to make and within the law. Literally no controversy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    There's already at least one poster in the thread who values the life of an intruder (who, by his mere presence, demonstrates his complete disregard for both ethics and the law) over the life of the kid.
    That's not real at all. If you knew how to read, he said he thought it was too much force for just an intrusion. He didn't say "Sacrifice your child to the predator to get them to leave!". But I don't expect you to be able to think logically, so keep going with your ignorance.
    Last edited by Torgent; 2016-06-28 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    The intruder has been identified as David Daniel McCrary.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/portla...uder/256234379

He did have mental health issues. His motive is still unknown

The police do not anticipate pressing charges.

Oh, and apparently, he was also armed.

http://patch.com/oregon/portland/wom...childs-bedroom
    He was probably armed in case someone else broke in so he could save the family..

- - - Updated - - -

"Local defense attorney Edward Kroll says, given how the laws are written in Oregon, he’d be shocked if Ford was charged because a homeowner has the right to defend themselves in most cases.

In other words, he says, if the homeowner reasonably believes an intruder is in their house to commit a crime, they can use deadly force to protect themselves.

He says exceptions come into play when the intruder is a known to the homeowner and, perhaps, has been invited over before."
    Last edited by lockedout; 2016-06-28 at 03:25 AM.

Regardless of peoples opinions on the situation, these laws are here to stay. It's too difficult for an untrained person to differentiate someone who's a threat from someone who isn't. That sort of thing just comes from training. Just like a paramedic who can differentiate a person who may need emergency medical care vs. someone who may not.
    I'm going to oversimply this situation to make a point. The person was either non-threatening and hiding, and the woman overreacted to the situation and shot. Or, the suspect was acting in a way that was threatening to her, and she shot. Either way, there are two big take-aways that noone has mentioned in this post.

1. America has a huge issue with mental illness that isn't being addressed. People in this debate have stated that the care-takers should be to blame in the case of a mentally ill person entering another person's home. More often than not, these people don't have a care-taker. As a resident of Oregon, I can't tell you how many people I come across on a WEEKLY basis that clearly have mental health issues. They are always on their own, disregarded as transient/homeless "crazy people."

2. I see a huge problem with the lack the training and discipline that someone should have in order to posses a firearm with the intent of "protecting" ones self and property. People don't want to talk about gun control, because they think it means guns are going to be taken from them. I don't see any harm in requiring people to take self-defense courses and educate themselves on what to do in a situation like this. I don't think anyone can argue that a off-duty law enforcement officer would have handle this situation differently. Civilians should be held to the same standard when taking someone's life is in the equation.

Edit: In light of the fact he was armed, this thread is probaby dead.....
    Last edited by voiceofreasons; 2016-06-28 at 03:39 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Good. If you invade somebodies home, don't be upset if they don't play nice and instead want to shoot your sorry ass.

Moral of the story? Don't break in to anybodies home.

Take notice: that is good control one shot one dead bad guy.

Well, more news has come out, apparently the house had been vacant for quite a while before the homeowner and her children moved in, and there had been reports of "squatters" using the house to crash in.

Also, the previous tenants (renters) had been quite a bit of "mischief", so it seems at least possible that the intruder either was looking for the previous tenants, or thought it was still vacant, and was just looking for a place to sleep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hilds-bedroom/
    A neighbor told CBS affiliate KOIN that the Portland home was vacant for a period of time before Ford and her children moved in.

“I know when the previous renters were there, there was a lot of mischief,” the neighbor, Amber Murray, told KOIN. “After they moved out I think there were a few squatters in and out of there.”
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-06-28 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I don't actually see much judging of her going on, simply people that are not quick to jump on the, "Yay for shooting people!" bandwagon.
    Then you haven't been reading all the post in this thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Well, no, you're not sure. Because I'd point the gun at them until the cops arrived, I wouldn't just shoot them in cold blood.

- - - Updated - - -

Shooting someone dead instead of calling the police and letting the justice system deal with it IS vigilantism. You're taking the law into your own hands, don't pretend otherwise.
    You don't know the full story, how do you know he didn't lunge at her? You're judging someone without knowing any facts other than a grown man, a stranger, was hiding in kids bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You don't know the full story, how do you know he didn't lunge at her? You're judging someone without knowing any facts other than a grown man, a stranger, was hiding in kids bedroom
    My point is you don't either.

There's nothing in the media at all to suggest anyone directly had their life threatened.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't shoot someone dead if my life wasn't in danger.

1. My point is you don't either.

2. There's nothing in the media at all to suggest anyone directly had their life threatened.

3. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't shoot someone dead if my life wasn't in danger.
    1. I am not the one making judgment calls.
    2. Circumstantial evidence leans to a side saying she was, thought we do need more proof, that I will agree.
    3. I wouldn't either, but at the same time when you are faces with circumstances you don't know what you would do when your life could be in danger. I don't think anyone would fault a woman for being scared and shooting a home intruder without knowing his full intentions.

I'm so liberal I'm a vegan....and I see nothing wrong with this at all. Someone breaks into my house, and is threatening just one of my dogs, let alone my wife or if I had a kid.....they leave in a bodybag. I'm not even talking about shooting the person either. I mean by my barehands...as in punch till there's wet.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreasons View Post
    Edit: In light of the fact he was armed, this thread is probaby dead.....
    Don't count on it. There are a significant number of people that say stupid shit like, "couldn't they have shot him in the leg?" that aren't going to be persuaded that humans have a natural right to defend themselves that includes significant escalation of force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I'm so liberal I'm a vegan....and I see nothing wrong with this at all. Someone breaks into my house, and is threatening just one of my dogs, let alone my wife or if I had a kid.....they leave in a bodybag. I'm not even talking about shooting the person either. I mean by my barehands...as in punch till there's wet.
    Looks like the lack of meat has not negatively impacted your T level

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This woman came home with her children. The house was empty. If your sole objective was your children's safety or your own, the best course of action would be to take the children, leave and call the police from a safe distance.
    Imo she did the best course of action. I seriously doubt some dude is going to let u leave with no problems after he has been discovered. No way a woman is going to be able to over power a man and escape while dragging two kids from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He was probably armed in case someone else broke in so he could save the family..

- - - Updated - - -

"Local defense attorney Edward Kroll says, given how the laws are written in Oregon, he’d be shocked if Ford was charged because a homeowner has the right to defend themselves in most cases.

In other words, he says, if the homeowner reasonably believes an intruder is in their house to commit a crime, they can use deadly force to protect themselves.

He says exceptions come into play when the intruder is a known to the homeowner and, perhaps, has been invited over before."
    Wait that guys white? Are you sure you got the right guy? I didn't think white people committed crimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Don't count on it. There are a significant number of people that say stupid shit like, "couldn't they have shot him in the leg?" that aren't going to be persuaded that humans have a natural right to defend themselves that includes significant escalation of force.
    Or go Lone Ranger style and shoot him in the gun. Then once you shoot the gun out of the intruder's hand, the intruder will be sufficiently cowed to let you tie their hands while you walk them down to the sheriff's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This woman came home with her children. The house was empty. If your sole objective was your children's safety or your own, the best course of action would be to take the children, leave and call the police from a safe distance.
    I don't agree at all, and that'd be a difficult case to prove.

My point is you don't either.

There's nothing in the media at all to suggest anyone directly had their life threatened.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't shoot someone dead if my life wasn't in danger.
    He was armed you know...