Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Professions for V DH

I was thinking of LW with either skinning or Enchanting.

What about everyone else?

What would be good comps for Vengeance?? (Feel free to post your opinions on havoc too)

i'll either be rolling alchemy/herbalism, LW/skinning or alchemy/skinning, because i have tons of characters with gathering professions and could just gather what i need on them

skinning is always great for tanks because they can pull a ton of mobs, however the new mob tagging system in legion is really annoying for skinners. If someone so much as touches a mob you're fighting, they share the tag and you have to wait for them to loot before skinning. I can imagine a ton of people just hitting things then running away.

Personally, I'll be going engineering/enchanting or enchanting/alchemy.

I'm currently running LW/Skinning on my DH in the beta and I'll be choosing those professions come live. I haven't had too many issues with the mob tagging system unless it's in a dungeon, which isn't anything really new. Plus with the quest to acquire the four bracers (plate, mail, leather, cloth) doesn't hurt to be able to craft two of them yourself if you get the plans.

Is there any new system for leveling professions up quickly/cheaply? I'm inclined to go gathering simply because I cannot be bothered spending tens of thousands of gold to level a profession from 1-700.

Quote Originally Posted by Freds1234 View Post
    Is there any new system for leveling professions up quickly/cheaply? I'm inclined to go gathering simply because I cannot be bothered spending tens of thousands of gold to level a profession from 1-700.
    Do the WoD stuff during the limited pre-launch time that DH's are avail.

Also, if you have a couple 100s, and are interested in Inscription, which is what I'm doing on my DH (with herbalism)...... Farm your herb garden and stockpile..... Convert all your herbs into Warbinder ink, then go to the ink trader and get all the legacy mats you need. You should easily have the mats to 0-cap your Inscription before Legion, and it would essentially be "free"...... Alternatively, you could just buy a massive amount of herbs in the current dead wow economy and do it that way.... Prices on Illidan are under 1g/herb making stockpiling for inscription incredibly cheap.

As for professions in general (as of 6/22):

Right now, Blood of Sargeras are BoP..... These are going to be the primary thing that gates professions. You will primarily attain them via gathering professions, but also Fishing, Profession based world quests, and Dungeons. This is going to have a couple of potential impacts on professions:

1. DO NOT GO DOUBLE GATHERER.

You cannot sell your "Blood of Sargeras", and cannot use them to craft anything.... This would essentially be wasting your most valuable farmed up material.

2. You probably also do not want to go double crafter at this time...

Your Blood generation will be heavily limited, as compared to someone with a gathering profession.... ******This part is subject to change heavily as they tune the profession world quests, fishing drop rates, and dungeon drop rates. That being said it is almost assuredly going to be favored (even heavily so) towards people with a gathering profession.

I'd add that crafted gear is currently pretty lackluster.... 800 base ilvl for the top end stuff (world quests give 825 gear)....
    From there you take crafted gear to the obliterium forge, and basically break it down into obliterium, which is then used as a material to further upgrade the gear in 5ilvl incriments from 800 up till 850.... which is only LFR level, and real LFR gear will have set bonuses.
    Last edited by Drosul; 2016-06-23 at 02:19 AM.

I'm going with Alchemy / Herb.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, i haven't done skinning since TBC. whats the quickest way to level it? through old content or does WOD offer a catch mechanic?

There's a catchup, can do level 1-700 in WoD zones

As with every expansion, the armor-crafting ones will fall probably behind a few months in, engineers will probably never make a profit and enchanting/jc will always be in heavy demand while Inscription / Alchemy will be all over the place according to your server.

I'm thinking of doing enchanting, I just have no idea what second profession to take. Maybe just do the ol' fashioned Tailoring + Chanting. As a leather wearer. Because why not?

As far as I've been able to determine, you don't need to level your professions. I started Enchanting/Inscription on my DH and have been able to do the Legion Enchanting stuff from 11 (BElf '1'). Only problem with Inscription is the AH is a mess and I can't get Herbs, else that'd likely be a breeze too. Don't worry about pumping your professions to max. It doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Orloth SilverEye
    <Demon Hunter Moderator>
    "I am my scars."

7+ Year Old Account
    Im going with mining/jewelcrafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Orloth View Post
    As far as I've been able to determine, you don't need to level your professions. I started Enchanting/Inscription on my DH and have been able to do the Legion Enchanting stuff from 11 (BElf '1'). Only problem with Inscription is the AH is a mess and I can't get Herbs, else that'd likely be a breeze too. Don't worry about pumping your professions to max. It doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Oly exception is 300 for world quest of that proff, so as long as its above 300 i coudltn find any other benefit when i leveled skin/lw on beta.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

if what i read and heard from the professions interview. if u have non gathering professions ull get more profession world quests with a higher chance of bloods to off set not getting blood from gathering. while if u have gathering u will have less world quests for professions so u are not double dipping for bloods. i read a while back that in legion u can pay 1k gold for a book to switch professions and still remember all the legion patterns u learned, but not the patterns u learned before legion expac. if thats still in game and u have excess gold that may be what you can do for DH.

for me im thinking Eng (for toys and portals) and ench (for little more Blood for DE)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to go with jewelcrafting and mining. Jewelcrafting, as someone else noted, tends to stay relevant all expansion long. I want a gathering profession to go with it, for more Blood of Sargeras, and mining seems like the best compliment--ore to prospect.

If they really do manage to equalize Blood of Sargeras for double-crafter, via world quests, then I may go jewelcrafting/enchanting.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

After the dev interview, I have a bit more confidence that Double crafter won't be so bad, and being honest, I wasn't going to go out and farm anything anyhow....

For now my plan is:

Rogue: Engi/Enchant (mostly because he already has both... Here's to hoping Engi can actually make some money for once)

DH: JC/Scribe

Basically gives me the 3 best "gathering" skills (Prospecting, Milling, Disenchanting) from where I do all of my farming anyhow.... the AH. Also, I figure the daily quest thing for the professions is going to limit my alt-o-holic problem from WoD, by forcing me away from my AH, and out into the dirty world.... And if I'm running around doing dailies, then I think 2 toons is about all I'm going to be able to handle, so I need my DH's professions to fill in the gaps that my Rogue won't cover by default....

I don't particularly see the LW stuff being all that useful as it stands (which is kind sad, considering I'd be making 2 leather wearers), tailoring has no new bags (160 Hexweave bags banked for resale, and counting =D ).... and BS's greatest perk is their mounted speed buff spurs.... which would matter to me more if I was a gatherer.

And even if it's slower initially via extreme cost... I should be at least generating the Bloods from the quests for use when the baseline mats get cheaper.

My plan is:

1) skinning + mining while levelling
    2) At 110 drop mining and pick-up LW. Craft 815 gear and upgrade to 850 as many items as possible (using obliterum).
    3) After that, see what yields more cash in AH and pick up those

Deleted
    Havoc
    Herbalism or mining +wathever crafting (I even think about minning/Herb)Glide dash double jumps made spec OP for the task and later in expansion thanks to the Blacksmiths will keep gathering like droods)
    Vengeance Skinning is fine as tank he hold big chunk of mobs and kill them easly(alteast at this point)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosul View Post

You cannot sell your "Blood of Sargeras", and cannot use them to craft anything.... This would essentially be wasting your most valuable farmed up material.
    Actually you can still use it to obliterate the crafted gear, and atm obliterium is BoE(which is strange considering the reason why blizzard made Blood of Sargeras BoP)
    And blizzard specified that they will put a vendor for extended amount of bloods.So double gathering may not be good for main character but for alt i will use double instead to rework all professions on my alts who mostly have double crafting
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2016-06-28 at 08:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosul View Post
    Do the WoD stuff during the limited pre-launch time that DH's are avail.

Also, if you have a couple 100s, and are interested in Inscription, which is what I'm doing on my DH (with herbalism)...... Farm your herb garden and stockpile..... Convert all your herbs into Warbinder ink, then go to the ink trader and get all the legacy mats you need. You should easily have the mats to 0-cap your Inscription before Legion, and it would essentially be "free"...... Alternatively, you could just buy a massive amount of herbs in the current dead wow economy and do it that way.... Prices on Illidan are under 1g/herb making stockpiling for inscription incredibly cheap.

As for professions in general (as of 6/22):

Right now, Blood of Sargeras are BoP..... These are going to be the primary thing that gates professions. You will primarily attain them via gathering professions, but also Fishing, Profession based world quests, and Dungeons. This is going to have a couple of potential impacts on professions:

2. You probably also do not want to go double crafter at this time...

Your Blood generation will be heavily limited, as compared to someone with a gathering profession.... ******This part is subject to change heavily as they tune the profession world quests, fishing drop rates, and dungeon drop rates. That being said it is almost assuredly going to be favored (even heavily so) towards people with a gathering profession.

I'd add that crafted gear is currently pretty lackluster.... 800 base ilvl for the top end stuff (world quests give 825 gear)....
    From there you take crafted gear to the obliterium forge, and basically break it down into obliterium, which is then used as a material to further upgrade the gear in 5ilvl incriments from 800 up till 850.... which is only LFR level, and real LFR gear will have set bonuses.
    What are you going to earn money on with that Inscription profession? I've been thinking bout going Inscription myself, but AFAIK they don't have that much to earn money on.

I've been thinking bout going Enchanter with my DH, but what should he get as a secondary then? I could do mining, since my Rogue is JC. But is there anything else that goes well with Enchanting as a DH?

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    What are you going to earn money on with that Inscription profession? I've been thinking bout going Inscription myself, but AFAIK they don't have that much to earn money on.

I've been thinking bout going Enchanter with my DH, but what should he get as a secondary then? I could do mining, since my Rogue is JC. But is there anything else that goes well with Enchanting as a DH?
    Glyphs, music scrolls, and trinkets should all be decent sellers for Scribe. That said, Trinkets will probably be where most of my gold is generated, as the Illidan Glyph market is extremely saturated with hardcore TSM types who will undercut a posted glyph within 5minutes of it being posted, 24 hours a day.... and that will only get worse for Legion, considering how much more limited glyphs are, as purely cosmetic items, reducing demand. I'm certainly not expecting it to be like WoD-Scribe, where I made something like 1/3rd of all the gold I generated for the entire expansion in the first month, however (though I was also spending roughly 5 hours a day after work just power nerding the AH... which frankly I don't want to ever do again).

Understand that part of the reason I'm now looking at double crafter, is because of the time constraints I'm going to be experiencing, basically playing both DH and Rogue, leaving me with little time to go out farming, and having 2 sets of professions dailies each day is already probably going to feel like a bit much (and why I'm only planning on two toons now, rather than my initially intended 4, where I'd have done a DK as well as a Shadow or Warlock as well).... I'm not entirely sure how it will compare gold wise to simply focusing on one toon and going gather/crafting.... but it does seem like the most efficient way to play multiple toons, in what looks like a pretty alt-unfriendly expansion.

If you can stand the farming, LWer or specifically Skinner might actually pay out well, considering DH's being added to the game.... This is slightly boosted by the recent statement this week about how 850 will be the pre-raid ilvl cap basically, meaning crafted gear will actually be potentially BiS gear for a time. Though I'd obviously be skeptical about how long that lasts, and if/when further upgrades are implimented for professions to keep pace beyond LFR level gear once the raids/pvp seasons start up.

In the end, a second profession to back up enchanting really comes down to what you want to do, and what goals you want to accomplish.. A gathering prof of some kind would probably make you some good gold, and give you needed bloods for some enchants, but you are gonna have to be out in the world farming. Meanwhile a second crafting profession could be a nice way to sit back and "farm" via the AH, rather than the world, but I imagine you will find blood generation to be significantly more limited, as it will be gated by time/dailies rather than pure effort.