29% on Rotten Tomatoes
    32% on Metacritic
    7.5/10 on IMDb

I saw it. The story could have used some polishing. The acting and CGI was decent. All in all not horrible. Then again, most who saw it probably loved Wrath or TBC, neither of which really had any bearing on the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    And what proof is in there that Warcraft had 100M marketing?
    The article states that Hollywood is spending on average $0.60 on advertising for every $1 it makes in theaters. If you take Warcraft's current $420M cume into consideration, that'd mean that roughly $252M of that was spent on marketing. Obviously this figure is a bit skewed since most of Warcraft's success was in China and we have no idea exactly how the movie was marketed there, but if you use it as a general rule, it would not be surprising at all if the total amount spent on marketing the film was well over $100M.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    LOL, no, this is not the case.

Read the replies as to why.
    Your replies are based on guesstimates with constantly moving goalposts, first it was "lol movie did not make 160 mils what a flop", then it was "feck, it made 160 mils, but here we give you this 400mil figure we literally pulled out of our ass that it needs to break" and now it suddenly increased to 450mil.

Tell me, what are you going to do next week when it hits 450mils? Raise it to 500mils because "reasons"?

What then? 600millions, 800 millions? Because if you think it won't hit 600 millions or more with DVDs and directors cut, you are literally lost.

Seriously it's almost as clownshow here, because let me tell you something, this movie now has no chance of being a loss with 420 millions made and besides raking in cash it also was a huge free commercial for Blizzard worldwide.

That alone is already making it a huge success for Blizzard.

You want to know what a flop is? Go ask Johnny Depp.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The article states that Hollywood is spending on average $0.60 on advertising for every $1 it makes in theaters. If you take Warcraft's current $420M cume into consideration, that'd mean that roughly $252M of that was spent on marketing. Obviously this figure is a bit skewed since most of Warcraft's success was in China and we have no idea exactly how the movie was marketed there, but if you use it as a general rule, it would not be surprising at all if the total amount spent on marketing the film was well over $100M.
    Average doesn't mean all movies spend 60% of their theater income. Those that make the movie will think if it's worth to spend 100 million dollars on marketing given that I don't think they are so retarded to expect the same cash in as an established franchise. So for Iron Man 3 I totally expect them to go full berserk with advertising but not for Warcraft. Even so I don't imagine what they could do with 100M unless they advertise on Super Bowl or something. I don't think anyone involved in this movie expected 1 billion dollars in box office, they aren't that delusional... I assume we will hear soon enough if they have plans for a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Average doesn't mean all movies spend 60% of their theater income. Those that make the movie will think if it's worth to spend 100 million dollars on marketing given that I don't think they are so retarded to expect the same cash in as an established franchise. So for Iron Man 3 I totally expect them to go full berserk with advertising but not for Warcraft. Even so I don't imagine what they could do with 100M unless they advertise on Super Bowl or something. I don't think anyone involved in this movie expected 1 billion dollars in box office, they aren't that delusional... I assume we will hear soon enough if they have plans for a sequel.
    I'll agree to disagree about the marketing of this film since it doesn't seem like much was spent on marketing the film in the US at all. However, with the film having a $160M production budget, I still don't think it's unreasonable to surmise that its worldwide marketing costs may have totaled near the $100M mark.

Further, I'm positive the movie has been successful enough that the sequel lights are flashing in the minds of Hollywood executives everywhere. What isn't so clear is whether a sequel will actually come to fruition. Other franchises have been in similar predicaments as Warcraft: Performing much better abroad than domestically; but in these situations, their sequels have either been completely written off (see: Disney's John Carter) or remain in pre-production development hell (see: Pacific Rim). Warcraft's success overseas has been greater than both these films so time will tell whether we get more movies.

I still caution against coming to foregone conclusions about the near-guarantee of sequels since there is plenty of evidence the risk involved in making them would outweigh potential benefits.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2016-06-28 at 10:00 PM. Reason: words

TL;DR

Honestly, I saw all the reviews before I saw the movie so I decided to reserve my feelings towards it until I watched it and I have to say I think the US fans who did not like the movie just don't understand the movie. I asked a friend of mine who watched it and did not like what she didn't like about it, mind you she does not play the game and has no prior knowledge of the game, and every reason she gave me was basically, I did not like how they did not spell everything out for me..yea..if you want a world of warcraft movie to spell everything out for you it will do no such thing and I hope they do not change the way the movie was created for any of the following installments. The movie was great in my opinion. It had a good plot. Maybe a little changed at the end but the results were still the same. It had a good story. Lots of brotherhood themes. The amusing banter between Lothar and Garona was nice. Onyxia looks interesting and overall everything seemed good. I'm not a blizzard fan boy, I just like the story and I felt the story was done well in the movie. I, actually think the special effects were okay. Not bad but not over the top either which is fine because this is a warcraft movie after all. Most people that watched it in the theater I went to enjoyed it as well. The following day is when I spoke my friend and found out what she didn't like about it. Personally, I think if they had done a tv series like game of thrones for warcraft that might have been better for most people as that would allow them to single out characters and take more time with each one but that really isn't warcraft's style. Their story is the way they showed it. There are a number of things going on at any given time. There is a more over arching story. No you will not get 1 story at a time and it will be thought provoking however minimally that may be. For instance, No Medivh is not Garona's father...think about what he is saying and why he is corrupted. Think about why Khadgar is not liked. It is actually very obvious.

Deleted
    After watching the movie a second time i can't understand the whole hate for this movie.

The CGI is amazing and nothing feels out of place with the humans and non CGI things. Anyone claiming otherwise is crazy.
    The actors do a good or decent job. I never cringed in the whole movie. And i am very critical about things. The only bad actor was Lothars kid. That bitch deserved to die.

Maybe the only thing missing in the movie is memorable scenes. Things that make us remember forever after watching the movie.

The only thing i will not forget is the castration of BlackHand by Lothar.
    I even screamed "woop woop" in the cinema this time because it makes me remember something amusing of my personal life
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-06-28 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekoyou View Post
    I did not like how they did not spell everything out for me
    They had to create a movie for a general audience, and they have failed.
    Onyxia looks interesting
    wut.
    No Medivh is not Garona's father
    wut.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Your replies are based on guesstimates with constantly moving goalposts, first it was "lol movie did not make 160 mils what a flop", then it was "feck, it made 160 mils, but here we give you this 400mil figure we literally pulled out of our ass that it needs to break" and now it suddenly increased to 450mil.

Tell me, what are you going to do next week when it hits 450mils? Raise it to 500mils because "reasons"?

What then? 600millions, 800 millions? Because if you think it won't hit 600 millions or more with DVDs and directors cut, you are literally lost.

Seriously it's almost as clownshow here, because let me tell you something, this movie now has no chance of being a loss with 420 millions made and besides raking in cash it also was a huge free commercial for Blizzard worldwide.

That alone is already making it a huge success for Blizzard.

You want to know what a flop is? Go ask Johnny Depp.
    Not to be picky but with your expertise in the movie field you should understand the difference between literally and metaphorically

10+ Year Old Account
    Shocked that this bait topic caught so many people,caught them early,and still has legs. It's annoying enough that I came back to say this. Mission accomplished.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Those are outliers. People are being stupid right now and like comic book shit. It will pass eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I've said it about a dozen times now and I'm getting tired of doing it. Maybe we could get mmochampion to make a bot moderator that responds to these posts and corrects them every page.

- - - Updated - - -

That's cute. Last night's Game of Thrones episode had a 9.something rating 12 hours before it aired. Had 1200 people rating it at 10. They were able to time travel and took the time to stop at that shit site and rate it before going on another time traveling adventure.

ANother stupid arguement, mainly because this ratings are generated by US audience and less from internation people, with that in mind all the Marvel movies are incredibly buffed and their 7-8 is a 4-5.But Warcraft flopped, i could honestly say under normal circumstances it would have over 7.5 since the massive majority of people who say the movie they loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    They had to create a movie for a general audience, and they have failed.
    wut.
    wut.
    the general audience does not mean spell everything out. The movie stands for itself. You do not need to know anything about the game to like the movie or understand it. It was made for the general public. Apparently, that for you means that the entire plot or even sublte things like medivh having a moment with garona means he is her father. Or that you need this whole explanation about how he got corrupted while he was trying to find a way to save the one he loved. Again you have to pay attention to the movie. It does actually say everything. It is not a B action movie where everything is bad and explained and the entire premise is bullshit.

The movie stands for itself.
    It doesn't. The movie is a financial flop as it is, but if it wasn't connected to WoW, it would have been a complete disaster, money from WoW / Warcraft fans have been vital.

explanation about how [Medivh] got corrupted while he was trying to find a way to save the one he loved.
    wut
    even sublte things like medivh having a moment with garona means he is her father.
    What are trying to say?
    the general audience does not mean spell everything out.
    As I said, most things in the movie don't make any sense unless you have some WoW knowledge.
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2016-06-29 at 09:32 AM.

It doesn't. The movie is a financial flop as it is, but if it wasn't connected to WoW, it would have been a complete disaster, money from WoW / Warcraft fans have been vital.
    It's not a flop... It has earned the money it cost and more. A "financial flop" is a movie that doesn't even recoup the money that was spent to make it. If you want an example of an actual box office flop, look at the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Ca...ld_of_Tomorrow

Now, I happen to love that movie, but no one really did when it came out. Warcraft isn't even out on DVD yet, and you can expect a few hundred million more added to those box office totals. This movie will have at least one sequel. Deal with it. I'm so sick of people CONTINUING to hate on Warcraft, even when it has done so well at the box office.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    It's not a flop... It has earned the money it cost and more. A "financial flop" is a movie that doesn't even recoup the money that was spent to make it.
    Yes, a financial flop is a movie that doesn't recoup its costs. This movie *did not recoup its costs* yet (if you conclude that it did by looking at $160 mil production costs vs $400 mil gross earnings, you are comparing apples and oranges, see previous pages for how much the movie should make to break even and why). Hence it's a flop.

Now, it might - perhaps even will - recoup its costs some time in the future and bring a tiny profit. But you see the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Warcraft isn't even out on DVD yet, and you can expect a few hundred million more added to those box office totals.
    That movie gets about $10M worldwide now per week, so those "millions" are out of question.
    And the producers want their profit now, not in 4 months DVD release is in.

People still spewing that the movie didn't recoup its costs. Yes, it did. Stop trying to twist it. The movie is already making a profit. And it'll make even more.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

OP must feel really embaressed right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, a financial flop is a movie that doesn't recoup its costs. This movie *did not recoup its costs* yet (if you conclude that it did by looking at $160 mil production costs vs $400 mil gross earnings, you are comparing apples and oranges, see previous pages for how much the movie should make to break even and why). Hence it's a flop.

Now, it might - perhaps even will - recoup its costs some time in the future and bring a tiny profit. But you see the picture...
    Mind telling us based on what you make this guesstimate, because so far I see people taking numbers out of their asses, like that 400 million break point people were flaunting a while ago... Well it broke it now, so tell me, if it is not enough for you, how much this movie has to bring then? After all you seem to be expert in the field, so what's the magic number now?