Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    To those thinking rarehopping is tanaan exclusive, let me show some ways I have used realmhop to my advantage recently - some of these will be 'clever' or 'positive' some will not be.

Leveling experiments - this largely involved realmhopping and killing rares in vanilla zones. Also used it to get quest objectives more conveniently rather than waiting for spawns and to avoid high level players killing me.
    Rare'camping' the 5 or so WoD mount rares outside tanaan. Took about 2 hours for all combined rotating through approx 35 servers.
    Hopping to not wait for nalak spawns
    Doing reputations like explorers in about an hour by realm hopping the chests.
    Isle of Giants bone farm - rather than trying to get any tags on my servers I just grinded a couple groups serverhopping.
    5k blackfang claws achievement/mount - once again rather than moving i just repeatedly killed the group by the felpool and then immediately hopped.
    realmhopping to get spawns and also not count for daily progress at same time while doing the king of beasts? achievement or something
    there are probably more... if i have an issue and feel realmhop will alleviate, I'll use it. I have the window on my UI so it's convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

This is what happens when players insist on proximity of players making the game "social".
    Yet they then turn around and complain when it isn't on their terms only.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

So I was against using realm hopping addons until it came for me as well - can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Was trying to pick the summer festival fires on a lvl ~70 alt because it's plenty of xp and you can buy pets for tokens, so 2 birds with 1 stone, right? Until I got ganked 3 times in short period of time because picking opposite faction fires flags you. So here we go, realm hopping addon. Hopping then dropping the groups drops your pvp flag. See suspicious "lvl ??" hovering around the fire? Realm hop. Flight master is killed by some "fun guy"? Realm hop instead of waiting for respawn.

Wouldn't have to be a dick if the community wasn't a dick in the first place and took pride in ganking lowbies and killing flight masters and quest npcs.

On a side note, when I finally got myself to join the dark side and install the addon I used it to get predator title too because fk xemirkol (found him on some backwater german realm at 8 in the morning). He doesn't even drop loot...

Deleted
    realm hopping itself is not a problem, but abusing this feature is.
    solution is that people make special realm hop groups, and use these. i have noticed many of these in dungeon tool but sadly there's always more hoppers than people who want to share.
    It would take very little - just 1 person per realm(group), who makes group only for hoppers, to make this whole problem to go away.
    Maybe blizzard could make in-game NPC user what shares its realm.
    Last edited by mmoce25a800b33; 2016-06-29 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove CRZ (You only see ppl from your realm and connected realms, helps rebuild communities). Make it to where you can ONLY realm hop to a person on your friend list. Cross-realm raiding/dungeons remains the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    It's still "rare" because it's the only one of its kind unlike other unnamed mobs. Besides the creature's always up anyway thanks to realm hopping. This just removes the hassle and annoyance involved.
    Something that is present 100% of the time, cannot by any definition, be classified as rare..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Something that is present 100% of the time, cannot by any definition, be classified as rare..
    "(of a thing) not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value." For example a one-of-a-kind diamond could be considered rare even though it exists all the time. Same for a one-of-a-kind WoW NPC.

Heh a lot of blind people in this thread. It creates an arms race where anyone not doing it is at a pretty big disadvantage to those who do. I don't believe the system was meant for everyone to be changing servers at will all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Hyperbole much? Ya its Kinda annoying but There are servers so overpopulated that its almost impossible to find things.
    That is the price of having an active server. Cake and eat it too kind of thing.

On the other side of the coin... If there weren't realm hoppers on my server.... it would be a solo sandbox game for me.

Intended purpose of realm hopping: ability to play with people from other realms.
    Real life use: people with addon get more loot than normally and get rare loot more easily, putting any player without the addon at disadvantage.
    People defending realm-hopping probably have no idea of how much more options it adds to farming things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything Mad_Murdock said.
    Why do people on high populated servers want the benefits of a good community, stable raiding rosters, while also managing to snag easy resources, rares, treasures off lower populated servers too ?
    To those answering "transfer if it's that bad", well that's an entirely different discussion and not the communities responsibility to fix (server imbalance).
    Pity people take you for a fool and disregard arguements whilst only answering with: nothing is wrong it's the best invention ever created.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    So why blue quality items are named "rare" then...

They could always change the label and make the silver dragon mobs be named "heroic" or "epic" or something else... I'm pretty sure there's plenty of other English adjectives native speakers can find to describe a special quality.

Most "silver dragon" mobs around draenor already insta respawn and yield loot only once, only Tanaan doesn't follow the scheme. I think in Legion it's the same? You find "rare" mobs during levelling that are all the time there? They even added order hall resources to them as of last build?

I don't think there's much excitement in mob camping while watching youtube / netflix on a second screen. That's not "playing" the game, you're sitting idle doing something else. Such a pinnacle of design. /s

Oondasta / Galleon already have a 1 week loot lockout (you can't spam farm them on the same char for mounts). Tanaan rares have 1 day loot lockout. That's 1 way to limit how fast people can obtain loot drops, do we also need to camp those mobs? Things like Warbringers could use the same system - respawn fast but have 1 day (or more if deemed necessary) loot lockout and be multi tap. That I find a more elegant solution that camping for an hour then losing the tap to a guy with an instant spell.

It's also pretty shite that people can come onto servers, swipe a rare, and leave. Sure it's nice seeing people in the world especially now with the new influx of players leveling, but I'd forsake that to have back the concept of low pop realms and knowing that if something shows up on your server, it goes to someone actually contributing to that server somehow.

Or hell, they could restrict it so that if the rare isn't up on your own realm, you can't see it on some other realm. Would kill the obnoxious realmhopping pretty quickly.

They'll reduce the camera distance for reasons such as "unfair advantage", but so far the realm-hopping is just being allowed to carry on...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-06-29 at 10:01 PM.

They should implement a feature where you can do it without having to abuse the group finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Saevio View Post
    Unfortunately, that argument doesn't really hold any water. The game is an MMO for a reason. Those types of advantages are not a part of the true game design. So what you think is hurting the game based on your argument is actually working as intended where blizzard is concerned.
    Plus, as much as I hate to say this with how frustrating rare hunting can be, realm hopping making the hunt for rares harder is making the game work as intended. Those mobs aren't called 'commons' for a reason. Other than the instant, or near instant, spawned 'rares' the general rule of thumb for them is that they should be hard to find and kill. If you don't have to spend much time or effort to kill a rare, partially because realm hopping would invalidate it, then the reward for killing the mob should be mediocre in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Plus, as much as I hate to say this with how frustrating rare hunting can be, realm hopping making the hunt for rares harder is making the game work as intended. Those mobs aren't called 'commons' for a reason. Other than the instant, or near instant, spawned 'rares' the general rule of thumb for them is that they should be hard to find and kill. If you don't have to spend much time or effort to kill a rare, partially because realm hopping would invalidate it, then the reward for killing the mob should be mediocre in turn.
    You're thinking of CRZ not realm hopping. They're not the same thing.

Economy - Everyone can do it so nothing changes
    rares - everyone can do it so nothing changes

Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    how about it destroys the advantage low population realms have at finding rares?
    Rares have like 1min respawn timer in legion. And you will only get the loot once from em.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    Intended purpose of realm hopping: ability to play with people from other realms.
    Real life use: people with addon get more loot than normally and get rare loot more easily, putting any player without the addon at disadvantage.
    People defending realm-hopping probably have no idea of how much more options it adds to farming things.
    The addon only provides a more clear interface, I was realm hopping before I knew about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Rares have like 1min respawn timer in legion. And you will only get the loot once from em.
    He may be talking about old world rares but even so...realm hop? The only argument about realm hopping I'll entertain is "I don't like people joining and leaving my groups because they are realm hopping". All this boo hoo economy, rare, make low pop servers great again nonsense is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    lol, you think people realm hop to find wod rares? (non tanan jungle rares)