7+ Year Old Account
    I just saw It, and as a hardcore fan I have... about a million gripes with this movie Lorewise, otherwise I'd have loved It to death If It displayed the lore and the story correctly... It's like, I don't see why you'd change the story at all. It was a good story, and could've been told In a fairly easy way I believe, you didn't need to change so much.

It's changed so much, It's not the Warcraft story we know, and It feels only like halfway through the First War, but with only everything that's happened In the First War that should've happened has happened so having a second part about the ending of the first war wouldn't make sense... unless they just jump straight to the Second War. And that'd be a shame, I wanted to see Stormwind burn.... I'm an orc player, bias Is obvious.

I don't wanna go on a large rant here but... comeone Duncan Jones, you didn't need to change much of the story at all, yes It was risky to show just this story to a movie-watching audience but I believe It would've done well anyway.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is that the burning of Stormwind was/is planned for the second film.
    Stormwind lost most of it's army in the last battle and the Horde got at least part of the army that was waiting on Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Stormwind lost most of it's army in the last battle and the Horde got at least part of the army that was waiting on Draenor.
    If the sequels happens, which I highly doubt, it will have less budget and it will be focused almost entirely on Thrall IMO. The raid on Stormwind is not going to happen in t he cinematic universe.

Saw it and loved it...can't wait to get my hands on directors cut dvd when it comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Vacashamanica View Post
    If the sequels happens, which I highly doubt, it will have less budget and it will be focused almost entirely on Thrall IMO. The raid on Stormwind is not going to happen in t he cinematic universe.
    They should skip all the shitty parts of the story and make an Arthas movie. Now there's something I'd want to see.

Deleted
    The real Numbers for the weekend are in:
    It's 7,241 Million instead of the 6,5 estimated yesterday, still not great but a light upbeat.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm
    -70%? That's harsh even for a niche movie. The statistics say popular mainstream movie runs usually drop only 30-35% in the first weeks, some even less up to no loss. Average mainstream movies 40-50%. Even that horrible bad CGI heavy movie Gods of Egypt dropped only 60%.

Now if that goes on it's really troublesome news. If the rumors about the inflated Chinese ticket sales turn out to be correct game movies may be dead forever.

The 50% rule of thumb can be thrown over board now anyways. The premise is an average performing movie run.
    Massive 70% drops for the second and third weekend (estimated) are not the norm except for bad and troubled movies, which leads to a longer and less profitable run for the movie maker. The disproportionate share of the sales coming from China due to heavy helping hand from Chinese publisher and friends and dissapointing performance in the U.S.A. isn't normal either. Those two factors would imply a lower cut from the total sales than the 'rule'.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yes, it's such a dubious assertion that marketing budgets are nonzero, and that theaters don't show movies for free.

/rollseyes
    Dude no.

Legendary doesn't even need to make 160$ Million. The theaters actually add into the goalpoint of the movie maker because they now share the same owner. It not like business doesn't work that way and Wanda cares about wasting Million in investments on a economic or actual loss.

Listen to our resident business 'insider' and stop hating with your untruths.
    Last edited by mmoc36f28662f1; 2016-06-27 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    -70%? That's harsh even for a niche movie. The statistics say popular mainstream movie runs usually drop only 30-35% in the first weeks, some even less up to no loss. Average mainstream movies 40-50%. Even that horrible bad CGI heavy movie Gods of Egypt dropped only 60%.
    Well it only did this in the US of all western markets, too bad it's the most important one.

Now if that goes on it's really troublesome news. If the rumors about the inflated Chinese ticket sales turn out to be correct game movies may be dead forever.
    Those rumours are only for the second weekend, when Wanda owned cinemas were disproportionally well visited. The first one, where the most revenue was made, is legit.

The 50% rule of thumb can be thrown over board now anyways. The premise is an average performing movie run.
    Massive 70% drops for the second and third weekend (estimated) are not the norm except for bad and troubled movies, which leads to a longer and less profitable run for the movie maker. The disproportionate share of the sales coming from China due to heavy helping hand from Chinese publisher and friends and dissapointing performance in the U.S.A. isn't normal either. Those two factors would imply a lower cut from the total sales than the 'rule'.
    It's really hard to see how the Math turns out at the end and we'll probably never know because the knowledge will stay inside Legendary.

Right now the film is heading for about 50Million in the US, something between 220 and 230 in China and something beyond 160 in the rest of the world (it's 149 there right know)
    So at least 430 Million in the end, maybe a bit more if it does better than expected in Japan.
    Too little to be a success and too much to be a total failure.

Really hard to tell the future from here, it could go down the history books as another failed attempt or go the Batman:Begins/Pacific Rim route.
    If they do the later it's time to consider what did go wrong the most this time and learn from it.

Well it only did this in the US of all western markets, too bad it's the most important one.
    Week-on-week declines in China have been very large also. This last weekend the box office in China was down 84% (!) from the previous weekend.

The second weekend decline in the UK was 80%.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Week-on-week declines in China have been very large also. This last weekend the box office in China was down 84% (!) from the previous weekend.
    That's why I wrote "western" markets.
    Steep declines in china are normal and it was heavily front loaded there because of the dragon holidays.

The second weekend decline in the UK was 80%.
    Well, as the UK as the 51. state of the US as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Yeah, like you are that "decent human mind". De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandem. In other words: I don't care if you like it or not, I'll have a look myself. I know a fair few people that liked it very much.

I thought the same about the new Star Wars. Worst movie I ever saw and I've seen shit like "Idiocracy". Doesn't mean people shouldn't like it though. I don't get why they would, that's all
    Doesn't even matter if you like it or not. Doesn't change the quality of the movie.

That's why I wrote "western" markets.
    Steep declines in china are normal and it was heavily front loaded there because of the dragon holidays.
    I think that could explain the weekend 1->2 decline, but not the 2->3 decline.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

If we get a second film, the burning of Stormwind is likely to be a big, production-heavy prologue event, like the siege of Mordor in Fellowship of the Ring. Most likely it was left out of this movie so both Horde and Alliance fans could walk out of the theater on a high note.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, this is a bit older news but it's a positive for the film:
    China's PPTV has secured the exclusive rights to Legendary Entertainment's long in the works adaptation of the video game phenomenon. Legendary confirmed the fee was a record but declined to reveal figures. Variety first reported the news.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-online-902975

Let me preface by saying I enjoyed the film and hope for a sequel, but I saw something recently that Warcraft had the 3rd largest 2nd week drop ever in the US. That's probably a testament to how many people really went to the first week showing, like camping out for TBC at Gamestop at midnight. I know a lot of my guild did. Anyway, it pains me, I don't know why this genre gets a bad rap domestically, not everything can be LOTR or should be held to that standard. Some genres are definitely held to artificially high standards (like comedies, even The Hangover has a 79%). If there's a sequel we can thank China for it (orcs/the Horde resonates well with them, almost all meetups I saw were Horde), but with such a poor showing domestically they might need to tone down the budget, and I don't think they can afford to do that when its basically the strongpoint for fantasy. Just my two cents, my apologies for the random splattering of thoughts.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-06-29 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Most likely it was left out of this movie so both Horde and Alliance fans could walk out of the theater on a high note.
    That was not intended to be in the movie at all. It ends up with Alliance formed and taking the battle to Gul'dan.

Those rumours are only for the second weekend, when Wanda owned cinemas were disproportionally well visited. The first one, where the most revenue was made, is legit.

It's really hard to see how the Math turns out at the end and we'll probably never know because the knowledge will stay inside Legendary.

Right now the film is heading for about 50Million in the US, something between 220 and 230 in China and something beyond 160 in the rest of the world (it's 149 there right know)
    So at least 430 Million in the end, maybe a bit more if it does better than expected in Japan.
    Too little to be a success and too much to be a total failure.

Really hard to tell the future from here, it could go down the history books as another failed attempt or go the Batman:Begins/Pacific Rim route.
    If they do the later it's time to consider what did go wrong the most this time and learn from it.
    Also keep in mind that someone said it needs to clear 500 million to break even...right now we are going by box office numbers. There will still be DVD/Blu-Ray sales to hit, collector's editions, etc. It's not hard to imagine it will turn a profit.
    I hope if they do follow up with another movie they learn from mistakes and expand on what they did right, and don't just outright scrap any ideas for a sequel or put out a low quality movie to play it safer with a cheaper made movie.

Quote Originally Posted by demonhunter50 View Post
    Doesn't even matter if you like it or not. Doesn't change the quality of the movie.
    Ofcourse it does. The measure of the quality is only "do you like it or not". In this case I'd say you don't. If I do, then it's just fine.
    You think too much about what other people think.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Also keep in mind that someone said it needs to clear 500 million to break even...right now we are going by box office numbers. There will still be DVD/Blu-Ray sales to hit, collector's editions, etc. It's not hard to imagine it will turn a profit.
    I hope if they do follow up with another movie they learn from mistakes and expand on what they did right, and don't just outright scrap any ideas for a sequel or put out a low quality movie to play it safer with a cheaper made movie.
    Yeah, it will. But more would have been always better. It's definitely not a loss for Legendary, especially if you count in that studios most of the time inflate the production numbers for the taxes.