Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not sure about best prof, but what can I say from playing the beta, there are shit long quests now for professions and gathering is completely different than it used to be. There are 3 grades for many recipes or gathing specific herb. Some of grades you get by buying recipes, some by looting etc.. Grades allow you to gain more rare mats for example or not use station to craft things. What I mean is, it will be a damn pain to reroll professions. Also Blood will be Bop so u will need gathering if u have crafting prof.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    I believe it will be Enchanting and Jewel crafting.
    More enchanting options are coming in legion, we're not just restricted to neck , cloak and rings and weapons now.
    Where did you get that we're not restricted to neck, cloak, rings and weapons? There's no enchants for any other slot. Also, there are no new weapon enchants. So we actually lose an option.

Rings get an upgraded version of Mastery/Crit/Haste/Vers. +350 for the basic, +700 for the rare.
    Cloak enchant will be a primary stat now instead of rating. +350 int, str or agi for the basic, +700 for the rare.
    Neck enchant will not be a stat, but a proc that summons a minion.

All in all I actually feel Enchanting will be less effective as in previous expansions. Being honest, Enchanting has always been among the best, perhaps the best, profession that lasted effectively all throughout an expansion.

Try this one weird trick to making money off your professions in the early parts of new expansions (Blacksmiths Hate Him):

1) Pick a gathering profession
    2) Pick a second gathering profession
    3) ???
    4) Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    At the start of the expansion:
    Blacksmithing + Leatherworking + Tailoring. Because everyone (afaik? at least, DHs currently) has to do the Obliterum quest for their Order Hall campaign which requires you to get crafted Bracers from each type (Cloth, Leather, Mail, Plate) and get Obliterum. They are also a source for relatively high ilvl gear at the start.
    Last I checked this quest isn't actually required for the Class Order Hall campaign. Its a marginally useful quest to do but not actually required for anything beyond acquiring access to the obliterum forge. The Hunter campaign, for example, requires 100 bandages/meat/fish for 1 step and 50 arkhana for another and that's it, assuming the goal is simply unlock a third relic slot which signifies the end of the Order Hall campaign. As for the DH hunter campaign quest yea it requires 3 Obliterum which seems really crappy in comparision.
    Last edited by Vurrin; 2016-06-21 at 07:27 AM.

My main has mining and engineering. I'm probably going to scrap engineering for herbalism though, at least at the start. I'd prefer to make as much money as possible from gathering professions early on, while also harvesting a ton of BoS from both. I can work on whatever crafting profession I end up wanting later, which will most likely end up being Blacksmithing. I wanted to like Engineering but everything is just so.... useless is the word that comes to mind in comparison to other crafting professions. Gotta take advantage of that expansion launch gathering profession item prices.

Deleted
    I really enjoy skinning / leatherworking and the new mount quest looks like a load of fun. Only problem I have is that I am switching mains from Hunter to Shaman in legion and i don't really want 2 leatherworkers. I'll probably just make my Shaman Mining and Engineering as the new bot looks quite amusing and I can always sell the excess ore.

Shame the Moose mount requires leatherworking to use though. Guess I'll have to level my hunter as well at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiarno View Post
    Where did you get that we're not restricted to neck, cloak, rings and weapons? There's no enchants for any other slot. Also, there are no new weapon enchants. So we actually lose an option.
    There are glove and shoulder enchants that are focused on increasing specific gathering skills, as well as on salvage in general.

Based on my experience in beta so far I am feeling pretty optimistic about almost every profession other than Engineering (in terms of gold-making potential).

If my time spent on Moon Guard is any indication the most profitable profession will continue to be prostitution. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vurrin View Post
    Last I checked this quest isn't actually required for the Class Order Hall campaign. Its a marginally useful quest to do but not actually required for anything beyond acquiring access to the obliterum forge. The Hunter campaign, for example, requires 100 bandages/meat/fish for 1 step and 50 arkhana for another and that's it, assuming the goal is simply unlock a third relic slot which signifies the end of the Order Hall campaign. As for the DH hunter campaign quest yea it requires 3 Obliterum which seems really crappy in comparision.
    Good point, thanks. Wasn't sure about the other classes as I've only leveled DH to 110 and just shortly tested the other classes up to around 102.

But anyway, there will be a lot of DHs around at the start and other classes will want it just for the better crafting gear as well. So I suppose there will be a quite high demand for the crafting stuff, especially in the first weeks and that BoS supply is limited.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Best money profession at expansion start is always gathering professions. Hands down, no contest because while everyone else is trying to craft things, nobody really wants to go farm the mats.

After that initial period, Jewelcrafting and Enchanting are safe bets. JC have rings with sockets they can make in addition to class specific necklaces. Enchanting has never really faltered because of it's continued used as players get new gear to replace older gear.

Lastly, Fishing is often overlooked but if you want those Bloods for crafting, better start leveling up fishing.
    You are dead on with fishing. As it is used in food, at least it was in WoD...my buddy made a fortune spending his time fishing the fish worth the most gold on the AH early WoD. His fish sold out always within the hour. Guilds were buying up the fish to make food for raiding.

If fishing is that good in Legion I'll be doing it as I don't have gathering on 9/10 of my chars now...WoD made me think going forward they were going to just give free crap away so it wasn't worth keeping the gathering profs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    You are dead on with fishing. As it is used in food, at least it was in WoD...my buddy made a fortune spending his time fishing the fish worth the most gold on the AH early WoD. His fish sold out always within the hour. Guilds were buying up the fish to make food for raiding.

If fishing is that good in Legion I'll be doing it as I don't have gathering on 9/10 of my chars now...WoD made me think going forward they were going to just give free crap away so it wasn't worth keeping the gathering profs
    I always made killer with fishing and with flasks / potions at the start of each expansion, with the exception of WoD because I was on a break. This time I have enchanting / tailoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestibule View Post
    Hi ! I never lived an extension beginning and I wonder what are the 2 best professions to make some money ? I currently have enchanting and tailoring 700 up and running.
    For the love of the Goddess.

Just play the game will you? We dont know what the easiest way to make money in Legion will be! Why? Because the Auction House on the Legion servers are not balanced thanks to years and years of players putting items up on it and nurturing it and everyone can just spam new characters to get 5K Gold extra as well.

If you want to make money, its usually Alchemy / Enchanting that gets you some real extra change.

But if you WANT MONEY, play the goddamn auction house like every gold farmer ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmahparty View Post
    I always made killer with fishing and with flasks / potions at the start of each expansion, with the exception of WoD because I was on a break. This time I have enchanting / tailoring.
    Dont worry, its not because you were on break.

Its because WoD made every profession apart from 1-2 of them obsolete and useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinar View Post
    It doesn't matter. Unless there's a significant barrier to entry, there will be plenty of people that don't adequately value their time, and they'll be priced barely above material cost. Just like every other extremely high volume item in the history of the game.

Thinking they will be "hundreds of gold" is ridiculous. The masses won't allow it.
    Perhaps later on, when demand has lessened. But I've been stockpiling cheap mats for Tomes for several months. The other gold makers (how, I don't know) on my two realms entirely missed this until Wowhead published a "guide to collecting enchanting Tomes in Legion" two weeks ago. I was buying the mats for literally coppers and silvers, and now they are 30g-300g each - and I'm talking Classic mats like Essences, things that up to now generally had little value. And they are now getting bought off the AH as fast as they get posted, and for whatever price they are listed at. Essence of Water used to be <1g on my realm, now it's being listed (and bought) at 30-35g.

So unless people go out farming for old stuff when Legion drops - and that is highly unlikely, farming 1-70 content for mats that only drop off a few mobs, when you could be playing Legion content - yeah the Tomes are going to stay costly for awhile, because the mats to make them are going to stay costly for awhile.

On the flip side, the enchants were NOT included in the achievement set for the Appearances. When I ported a live toon recently who has a full bank/void, she got all the achievements instantly (this was when it was 25 of each item type, before the more recent adjustments). So unless they go back and add an achievement for collecting the illusions, I don't know how many people are going to be motivated to collect the enchant illusions- as long as they don't want one of the "new" ones, they can just go back to the garrison vendor to do it. AFAIK those vendors are not being removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    If my time spent on Moon Guard is any indication the most profitable profession will continue to be prostitution. :P
    On a dare from guildies, I rolled a toon there and went to Goldshire back in 2006 or so. I had... no idea what it was like before I got there. And now, what has been seen cannot be unseen. Assuming it's still the same all these years later - I ain't going to look again.

i have tailoring on two characters already, one of which is also an alchemist. i'm going to be maining a Demon Hunter in Legion, so i plan on going LW / skinning with her. mostly to be able to craft and afford my own gear, but then to toss out some gear to sell once i'm set. and obviously tons and TONS of Hexweave Bags!!! 30 slots and the only ones being added in Legion are 24 slot. best to be buying them up now instead of waiting for the prices to go up! :P

The crafting professions that can make items for the obliterum questline would be good money makers off the bat I believe.

Beyond that I not sure there will be a huge difference between crafting professions. Alchemy and jewelcrafting would likely do well since they make stuff that raiders would be after but I wouldn't expect to make bank from either of those.

Going with good old Herb/Alch. Never seems to be useless, everyone likes to Raid. :]

I currently have my hunter as Mining/JC. I'll be boosting a Druid to 100 in a few days. I'm shit at playing more than 2 characters, so an alt-train of mats isn't going to happen. Though, my wife and best friend are forming a bit of a Trade Skill consortium with me. We all farm, we combine resources to make things, and then sell said things. I've always been pretty good at playing the AH, compared to them, so I'll be in charge of turning a profit with our collective gains.

Assuming my primary concern is profit, not just initially, but throughout the expansion.. what professions could I take on my druid to max said gains?

I've been doing research lately, but most of it is advice on how to use your 4+ max level alts to win at professions and I just do not have that in me lol. Looking for a narrower, but effective path.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Alchemy is always useful for consumables.
    Inscription will suddenly have a new reliable market in Tomes, and to a lesser extent Vantus Runes.
    Gems tend to sell pretty well, so JC isn't a bad shout.

It's also likely to depend on your particular server's economy.

in my server flasks and pots are selling at a lower cost than mats, the same apply to engeenering. Things on my server to alchemy only will get better if transmute can net some profit. Remeber that BS dont will do weapons too, weapons was the biggest profitable thing to sell with BS, but in the begining bracers will sell

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestibule View Post
    Hi ! I never lived an extension beginning and I wonder what are the 2 best professions to make some money ? I currently have enchanting and tailoring 700 up and running.
    Server based question. You can make money with both your profs, but how much, depends on your server 's market.