Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

backpacks are unprofessional

So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase. Most of the people who responded said it depends on what field you're in. For example it would be unprofessional for a lawyer to carry one but for people who are in like the IT field a backpack is really the best option.

I can agree with this. Being in the IT field when I have to go out to campus to repair a computer or check out a network problem I carry a back pack. A briefcase would be very limiting when I need to carry various tools, laptops, testing equipment, and cables and stuff.

What do you guys think of this?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I think if they are going to tell me what to use to carry all the shit they have me working on. then they can pay for the bag/case/purse. Thats what I think.

I agree, in IT it's so much easier to have a backpack. Overnight for an onsite? Laptop, change of clothes. Just that carry on backpack. However, if you are a lawyer, I suspect you'd have a briefcase and a backpack - or full on travel luggage cuz them fuckers need a lot of shit sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase. Most of the people who responded said it depends on what field you're in. For example it would be unprofessional for a lawyer to carry one but for people who are in like the IT field a backpack is really the best option.

I can agree with this. Being in the IT field when I have to go out to campus to repair a computer or check out a network problem I carry a back pack. A briefcase would be very limiting when I need to carry various tools, laptops, testing equipment, and cables and stuff.

I don't think it's unprofessional either way, a backpack is way more practical and convenient. Fuck what other people think

10+ Year Old Account
    I use

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase.
    That article was either written by somebody old or some elitist snob (AKA a briefcase wanker :P). It's 2016, the use of backpacks/satchels has been fine for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess backpacks are ok for archaeologists. We are weird people after all.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will never carry a briefcase in any profession. For me a briefcase is a really annoying hazzle to carry around. I rather use a bag with shoulderstrap.

Yeah, I'm in a travel-heavy IT position, and I'll be damned if I'm traveling with anything other than a backpack and duffel bag. A standard laptop backpack is always my choice going on site. I will admit that over the shoulder messenger-style bags for laptops can look a bit classier, but I don't feel the need for that in my position.

Lawyers need to signal hard to be successful in their careers. Stepping outside of the norm of a suit and briefcase signals that they don't give enough of a shit about their clients to follow expected social norms. This is a bad signal to send.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I use
    Best bag ever. +1

It's based mainly on the importance of appearance for a job. If you are wearing a suit, a backpack is going to cause it to wrinkle. A single strap pack is better, but can still cause problems. A backpack isn't a problem for someone wearing a polo and khakis, or a nerd jersey, because they tolerate wrinkles far better.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Being in the IT field when I have to go out to campus to repair a computer or check out a network problem I carry a back pack. A briefcase would be very limiting when I need to carry various tools, laptops, testing equipment, and cables and stuff.
    It would also be against HSE manual handling rules, so any employer who tried to demand it had better get a good solicitor and some vaseline.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on the job and on your current function. For example an archaeologist would be best served by a backpack in the field, but when having a presentation a briefcase might be better.

Backpacks work way better when commuting to work by bike.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you're supported by appearances (business professionals, presumably?) then stick with what's common or most acceptable, in my opinion.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...44422350608136

Those British court wigs...are an interesting dress code piece, to me.

Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

imo it depends on position that you work at - if you are just regular worker/tech supposrt nobody gives a single f... about it - it changes when you have direct connection with high value customers, owners/higher managment of supply companies etc then stuff like dress code matters a lot. if your position is just pure tech support who has to repair stuff nobody cares what you carry and how you dress unless you are looking and smell like a hobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's probably accurate. If you're in one of the more traditional professional fields, a briefcase is the way to go, if you're in a more modern professional field, backpacks are usually acceptable.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account

If you are a On Site technician, then sure.

I carry a messenger bag for my laptop, but that is it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I don't think it's unprofessional either way, a backpack is way more practical and convenient. Fuck what other people think
    lol yeah right if you were on trial for murder and your lawyer came in with a backpack you would shit bricks. like others said, matters on the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I think that's probably accurate. If you're in one of the more traditional professional fields, a briefcase is the way to go, if you're in a more modern professional field, backpacks are usually acceptable.
    sounds like you trying to put being a geek squad member above lawyer/banker. sounds silly, so stop it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wear a suit or button up and tie to work then I'd say stick with a suitcase. A backpack would look awkward whilst wearing a suit.