Thread: UEFA Euro 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    Depends how you look at it. From a tactical point of view, and how good the teams play, those games were both really good (Germany-Italy even better). But to watch it, especially as someone uninvolved in one of the playing teams, it sucks. :/
    I wouldn't say it depends. Both games were tactical, nullified the other team with their tactic and the game went to a draw. Ppl bashed portugal for drawing yet another game vs croacia and ignored the tactical game it went on for the 90 minutes.
    Now germany-Italy is the same and suddenly it's a "high class game of two great teams" "unlike the others that went to penalties due to sheer incompetence".

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Fair enough yet it wasn't that interesting of a match to play what is something that you expect when you see two big teams against each other, i still prefer a golden goal win over penalties however always have always will.
    it's pretty much what happens in UEFA CL finals. Historically tense and even matches that offers very little from an entertainment standpoint.

Unless it was Barcellona slashing and thrashing the poor opponent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Middle post, perhaps. Top corner? That's quite a standing jump you're making. I doubt many GKs can do that.

Btw, I've said this before: The Euro winner was decided today.
    Dangerous words, you never know what can happen, what players can fall out either by cards or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    You just described Portugal-Croacia, that everyone and their mother in this thread criticizes.
    Yes, but when I see people not being able to handle the ball properly, it's not a tactically interesting game, it's a shite game. This game wasn't spectacular, but at least it was tactically interesting. Both teams actually prevented passes from being made. When they passes back and forth in the back? You could actually see that it wasn't by choice or laziness, they literally had noone to pass to. Great game if you like proper tactical defending.

I'd have wished for more pressing like we did towards the end, though. We should've started earlier with that. We know how to press up high. Guess we respected the curse too much.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Finally the curse is broken. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Two great teams are more likely to produce such a game than low class teams, I always found. I never expected this to have more than one goal difference, and not more than one goal from either side. Italy are beasts about defending. They do not often concede more than one goal. And Germany has become good at defending as well in the past 4 years.

I hate the golden goal. And this is me knowing very well that we won the '96 Euros on a golden goal. It's an unfair shite rule and leads to even more boring play in extended time. Who's gonna risk it? Might as well pass the ball back and forth and go to penalty, it's the same lottery except you start with 5 players that can take a shot. The current mode is the best we've come up in 150 years of football. I can't even think of an alternative other than the glorious idea of extending the game indefinitely. I heard there was a cup game in Germany going for several days because of it.
    Isn't that pretty much this game though since the tiebreaker

A golden goal is a team effort in a team sport a penalty changes the team sport into that of a single person of each team that's why i dislike it.

Dangerous words, you never know what can happen, what players can fall out either by cards or injury.
    I stand by them. This was the proper final. Bar a surprise by France (who have performed under par so far), I have little doubt that the winner is coming from this side of the brackets.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but when I see people not being able to handle the ball properly, it's not a tactically interesting game, it's a shite game. This game wasn't spectacular, but at least it was tactically interesting. Both teams actually prevented passes from being made. When they passes back and forth in the back? You could actually see that it wasn't by choice or laziness, they literally had noone to pass to. Great game if you like proper tactical defending.

I'd have wished for more pressing like we did towards the end, though. We should've started earlier with that. We know how to press up high. Guess we respected the curse too much.
    I'm convinced it was the injuries of Khedira and Gomez. That shocked the team a bit.
    One could tell.
    That will for some risk taking was quite tampered then.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Iceland incoming!

France will fail hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Iceland incoming!
    Totally rooting for them tomorrow.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand by them. This was the proper final. Bar a surprise by France (who have performed under par so far), I have little doubt that the winner is coming from this side of the brackets.
    I still stand by it that the winner is decided at the finals and not sooner. Regarding France, let's see if they can get past the underdog of this tournament first.

Iceland is proving to be the surprise this year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    You just described Portugal-Croacia, that everyone and their mother in this thread criticizes.
    I've only seen the second half of Por-Cro and the game didn't seem even close to this game.
    Por-Cro was so close just because both teams played extremely scared and constantly kept 4-5 players behind the ball, even on attack. When you don't have anyone coming from 2nd / 3rd line to create superiority it's very hard for your strikers to do anything (baring glaring mistakes by the defense).
    Tonight, until the equalizer, even italy played proper positional attacks and tried to brake up the german side. Wasn't such a big difference, but it wasn't even close to tonight's game.

Isn't that pretty much this game though since the tiebreaker

A golden goal is a team effort in a team sport a penalty changes the team sport into that of a single person of each team that's why i dislike it.
    Penalty shootouts are good in that they let a GK legit win a game for once. It's not all bad.

About the golden goal being a team effort... that may be true, but the original name for it (sudden death) is more appropriate. It kills the entire game and favours the team that defends. The team that makes the game is risking a silly counter all the time and that leads to teams not attacking at all in sudden death scenarios. What I didn't like about it is that it still results in penalty shootout after 30 mins extra time. Sudden Death in football was never meant to replace penalty shootouts, it was meant to reduce extended time. Perhaps it could work if you extended indefinitely and removed penalty shootouts.

But as I pointed out before, there are games in football history that went absurdly long times due to such rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I'm convinced it was the injuries of Khedira and Gomez. That shocked the team a bit.
    One could tell.
    That will for some risk taking was quite tampered then.
    Amusingly, it was Gomez injury where I felt the team stopped attacking properly. Had that blind fool stayed on the pitch, we probably would've had a couple more good chances.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally rooting for them tomorrow.
    Who isn't. They deserve every minute of fun they get. Until the semis, of course. They'll learn the difference between amateur and professional football there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    I stand by them. This was the proper final.
    Quite in every sense. It's not common see such a long series of penalties out of anything but a proper final.

Italy was the real challenge for Germany, both in terms of play and psychology. If they could go through this wall, I don't see France being any greater obstacle for them. And I say this as Italian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Bonucci and Hummels would form one of the best defensive couple ever.

Both are top notch in marking and anticipating the opponent. Also both provide with very good playmaking abilities. Both nigh impossible to dribble pass them.

Two of the best players in this euro cup, if not the best 2 players in an absolute sense

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Quite in every sense. It's not common see such a long series of penalties out of anything but a proper final.

Italy was the real challenge for Germany, both in terms of play and psychology. If they could go through this wall, I don't see France being any greater obstacle for them. And I say this as Italian.
    There's a reason I only dread one nation in football. I've said this before, I prefer to play Spain or spanish teams every time to Italy or italian teams. We'll see if the curse is truly broken in the next tourney!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Bonucci and Hummels would form one of the best defensive couple ever.

Both are top notch in marking and anticipating the opponent. Also both provide with very good playmaking abilities. Both nigh impossible to dribble pass them.

Two of the best players in this euro cup, if not the best 2 players in an absolute sense
    Boateng just called me and told me to let you know that he disagrees. He's the king of defending and defensive line playmaking.

Fucking top kek of the entire tournament so far.

There's a reason I only dread one nation in football. I've said this before, I prefer to play Spain or spanish teams every time to Italy or italian teams. We'll see if the curse is truly broken in the next tourney!

- - - Updated - - -

Boateng just called me and told me to let you know that he disagrees. He's the king of defending and defensive line playmaking.
    He's good but not as good as the italian. Less reliable in clutch moments. He's still young, he will improve.

Looking at Portugal.
    Not one single game won, and still in the tournament.
    Also, not one single game lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Well, in a sense is indeed broken, the score says so. From a more psychological standpoint, hard to say. Maybe a proper victory occurring during the 120' could have had a way greater effect, at penalties and with such suffering doesn't feel the same, especially since I just knew it was going to end this way when we reached them. Penalties fuck us over more often than not and if there was a team that could exploit this chance was Germany. And they did.

We should have ended it earlier, but at some point the physical condition of certain players plummeted. The attempt to "rise up" after the equalizer fell flat a bit too quickly, even though the game remained sort of even from a tactical standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.