Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why do most players not care about monks?

I lurk forums alot especially with the prepatch and expansion approaching and i always see tons of posts and views in all the class sections except monks. Why? is it the playstyle thats just boring? PVP?(especially Windwalkers).

I do understand it's the least represented class in the past few expansions as well. Just curious to see what people say

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, it's not the monk I had wanted. Did not live up to the hopes/expectations of what I thought a monk ought to be like.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

its sorta a shaman/rogue hybrid. And people didnt care much for panda, liked the expac and story, just not playing as them
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

After having browsed the monk forums and played a monk for 3 years I find more often the people who post their confine themselves to a smaller amount of threads and are often busy running simulations etc. instead of repeatedly asking the same questions that have already been answered in stickied threads like I've seen in other class forums. Everyone has their morons but with monks having less players, they equally have less people sh*tposting. I may just be a little biased though.

I really liked Monk in MoP and considered it as a main in WoD. After some testing in Beta, Im looking at Monk again. Monk was never crazy OP like DK and they dont have the hype or 'badassness' of DHs. Also, I think the fact Pandaren is kind of what you think about when you think Monk is some of the reason people dont play them as Pandaren are considered silly, cartoony, for kids.

Blizz needs to make Monk the top melee spec for a while in order to entice players to them but I doubt that ever happens.

I think a lot of it comes with being a class released starting at level one when max level was 90 and is now increasing. Many people just don't like leveling and monks are not the most exciting class to level so people just don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    I really liked Monk in MoP and considered it as a main in WoD. After some testing in Beta, Im looking at Monk again. Monk was never crazy OP like DK and they dont have the hype or 'badassness' of DHs. Also, I think the fact Pandaren is kind of what you think about when you think Monk is some of the reason people dont play them as Pandaren are considered silly, cartoony, for kids.

Blizz needs to make Monk the top melee spec for a while in order to entice players to them but I doubt that ever happens.
    Well at least we had a couple weeks at the start of WoD :P

I never really considered Monks/Shamans real classes, I don't even know why and how some people main them.

I always liked the Windwalker playstyle very much, but it seemed very weak to me in WoD, and the need to self heal quite a bit in a melee class seemed un-fun.

That's just my opinion, but maybe others found it similar and just ignored it as an option.

Its because they are not one with the abrogator.

To me, I didn't like the Monk's playstyle. I know it's different, but I'd rather play a Rogue instead. And for the lore point of view, Monks didn't have the same feel/hype as Death Knights or Demon Hunters. I guess it's because the main focus point of Monks were Pandaren, while every other race were taught by Pandaren Monks, unlike how Death Knights and Demon Hunters have their own story line/quest line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    its sorta a shaman/rogue hybrid. And people didnt care much for panda, liked the expac and story, just not playing as them
    This is the biggest thing for me. I don't like the Pandaren theme at all, which includes the Monk class. And I already have a Rogue and a Shaman, so I have zero interest in the Monk class from a gameplay standpoint either.

I tried getting into monk at some point in WoD, finally got one to max lvl and played it for a few weeks. WW has too many buttons, back in the day when i played destro and they had like 8 or 9 buttons as part of their rotation i wouldn't have minded all the keybinds, but now? No ty, already got used to all the 3-4 button classes. WW just felt too complicated.

MW was fun but i prefer Resto sham which was my main at that moment, and hpaladin. BM was ok too, but all tanks nowadays are literally the same thing, and if i pick one i'll pick druid or paladin which i'm more familiar with.

I don't think the class is anything to be excited about, feels too similar to other classes and i wasn't a fan tbh. I won't be playing that character again any time soon.

Because monks were excessively panda themed. Unlike other classes where the lore can vary by race a bit(like blood knights vs. vindicators) it's just all panda all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by XamFTW View Post
    I tried getting into monk at some point in WoD, finally got one to max lvl and played it for a few weeks. WW has too many buttons, back in the day when i played destro and they had like 8 or 9 buttons as part of their rotation i wouldn't have minded all the keybinds, but now? No ty, already got used to all the 3-4 button classes. WW just felt too complicated.

MW was fun but i prefer Resto sham which was my main at that moment, and hpaladin. BM was ok too, but all tanks nowadays are literally the same thing, and if i pick one i'll pick druid or paladin which i'm more familiar with.

I don't think the class is anything to be excited about, feels too similar to other classes and i wasn't a fan tbh. I won't be playing that character again any time soon.
    This, for a class that have to worry so much about hitting the right keys and managing efficiently they resources, their DPS is crap

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Because monks were excessively panda themed. Unlike other classes where the lore can vary by race a bit(like blood knights vs. vindicators) it's just all panda all the time.
    Unpopular opinion:

I like Pandaren. I like Pandaria. I -really- enjoyed MoP, because Blizzard did some top-notch storytelling and world immersion, not being hamstrung by 3 RTS games and a couple of dozen novels of background lore. MoP was Blizzard's time to be fresh and new, and I ate it up.

I main a Pandaren monk. Heck I even race changed my gnome priest to Pandaren, and I almost exploded with glee when they let gnomes be priests.

With that said...

They could have done better with the monk lore. Monks existed in the Scarlet Monestary for years without Pandaren influences; so that gives Humans and Forsaken an edge in monk training. They really dropped the ball on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    With that said...

They could have done better with the monk lore. Monks existed in the Scarlet Monestary for years without Pandaren influences; so that gives Humans and Forsaken an edge in monk training. They really dropped the ball on that one.
    There were draenei monks in BC Auchindoun as well, but they were completely left out of WoD Auchindoun. Seems there's no room for monks that aren't panda style. Which is odd because panda monks weren't invented until MoP.

Also a blood elf arcane monk-like character in Magister's Terrace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of the problem I think is that they're the only new class that isn't a "hero" class, thus lacking a cool intro storyline.

I don't like monks for two reasons.
    They're heavily associated with Pandarens, a species I despise.
    I've only tried WW and its rotation was way too convoluted for my taste, so much that I'd call it the epitome of button bloat.
    Last edited by SDMF; 2016-07-04 at 03:30 AM.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

I was unbelievably hyped for Monk as I waited for MoP. I had it all planned out. Mats ready for maxing all professions, name picked out, everything. Hell I even marathoned kung-fu movies.

Then I played it on the beta, played it on the live, and it just all died to me. And why? Well I expected to play a Monk. A class that would use martial arts with maybe a little chi mixed in. If not that I expected something dragonball like. I expected to hit things really hard and to do it in style.

What I got was goofy animations (especially with weapons) and an over reliance on spell effects. It wasnt a monk. It was a wizard covered in green mist.

I truly believe that if monk hadnt been forced to not have weapon animations it would have been far more popular. They had the right idea of giving them their own animations, but in true blizzard style, they half assed it and decided just fist animations were enough, and to cover everything up with over done spell effects.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg