10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    As a theater manager i can tell you that your not quite right.

It all depends on the movie. the bigger the movie the less the theater gets.

on a title like starwars the contracts break down per week. You agree to run X movie for so many weeks for a certain percentage if it does well you can extend.

Week 1 on starwars theaters got something like 1% of box office receipts with the rest going back to the studio.. by the time you got to week 10 the theater may be getting 40% (by then you are getting maybe 10 customers or less per showing) this is standard practice with the percentage going up or down based on how much the projected attendance may be for opening weekend.

regardless no theater makes its money off box office receipts.. that's from concessions.. there is a reason the cokes are 6.00 and higher.. everything in the theater from lease, payroll, equipment, everything.. has to be paid from concessions that's where they make the money so they don't really care about the percentage of box office receipts.. it will make up less than 20% of your overall profits
    Can you give us a hint on the percentages of Warcraft in your Cinema then? Our is that forbidden by contract?

After seeing the movie, my opinion hasn't changed much. It was good. They nailed the orcs. There were a few cheesy moments, which I predicted. But I have no major complaints. I would have been fine with it being 3 hours, to show more wow related content though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

I would have been fine with it being 3 hours, to show more wow related content though.
    Me too And more smaller storylines too, which I was actually expecting. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and my wife and I WILL be seeing the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorn View Post
    Then you have Batman Begins which cost 150 mill and made 374 million yet was still green lit for a sequel.
    Why wasn't The Golden Compass greenlit then? Or Narnia 3?
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2016-07-06 at 03:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The golden Compass had a higher Budget (by 20 million) and got a lot less at the Boxoffice (50 Million as of now).

Narnia3 wasn't because Narnia 2 already ill performed:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=narnia2.htm
    Production Budget 225 Boxoffice 419.
    So Narnia2 did worse than Warcraft (Budget 160 and 422 Boxoffice) and Narnia 3 got made.
    Narnia3 then cut down in costs to 155 but didn't improve in the Box office 415, so there was a clear indication that a further film wouldn't improve.
    Edit.:
    On October 1, 2013, it was announced that the Mark Gordon Company would produce The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair, now officially in development as the fourth film in the franchise
    Wikipedia

And it's not even a 100% dead. Just in development hell for 3 years now, like pacific rim was.
    Seems that films in that range still have a high chance of a second life.
    Last edited by Plehnard; 2016-07-06 at 04:32 AM.

I think we can put Terminator Genisys sequel on 'Cancelled' list too.

Hollywood Reporter:
    Paramount Takes 'Terminator' Sequel Off Release Schedule
    The next chapter in the Terminator franchise has been taken off the release calendar, Paramount announced Wednesday.

Paramount and Skydance Entertainment's Terminator 2 was set to hit theaters May 19, 2017. Instead, the studio said Baywatch will open in its place.

The news about Terminator isn't a shock, considering that Terminator: Genisys was widely viewed as a disappointment. Genisys, which opened last summer, earned roughly $440 million worldwide, including only $89 million in North America.

..and its production budget was $155 million

Narnia 3 was made hell a fourth was going to happen but the actors are too old and the studio is pushing for a reboot.

Golden Compass 2 didn't happen because Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Narnia were flooding the market. Not to mention it was more expensive and did far worse than Warcraft.

The Director blamed the Catholic Church. Philip Pullman the author is a extreme atheist and even wrote a book where children kill god. Not exactly someone a studio wants to be attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    If the sequel does ever get green-lit, which I hope, it will depend on whether Duncan Jones is at the lead or no. If he is, he will continue with Thrall's story.
    My hope is that they tell the story that the old, cancelled point-and-click Warcraft adventure game was supposed to tell, which is Thrall's young days and escape from slavery.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Narnia 3 was made hell a fourth was going to happen but the actors are too old and the studio is pushing for a reboot.

Golden Compass 2 didn't happen because Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Narnia were flooding the market. Not to mention it was more expensive and did far worse than Warcraft.

The Director blamed the Catholic Church. Philip Pullman the author is a extreme atheist and even wrote a book where children kill god. Not exactly someone a studio wants to be attached to.
    Pretty much, studios don't want to attach themselves to extremists. Nothing good could come from that, just bad publicity.

An example of awesome books, lackluster movies. I read both the His Dark Materials trilogy (Pullman) and the Narnia series (CS Lewis).

Harry Potter got an awesome start with an excellent translation to film on the first shot, the first movie. The subsequent films were not true to the books wholly, but producers got their claws in the first time around, and it became popular.

Warcraft needed a hook. There wasn't one, unfortunately. Orcs / Humans . ZZzzzz.... Arthus would have been better to start, with prequels later... but nah, open with a sleeper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a lot of people don't understand how businesses work.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Warcraft needed a hook. There wasn't one, unfortunately. Orcs / Humans . ZZzzzz.... Arthus would have been better to start, with prequels later... but nah, open with a sleeper.
    The problem with the Arthas Storyline is that it's even more in the cold water than this movie was.
    That story would need at least tree films to unfold and would have a shit ton of factions in there, not just two and some barely to the sides as the current film does.

PS. There are some better Numbers about Japan on BoxofficeMojo now:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/ja...16&wk=27&p=new
    Warcraft had the best Average per cinema there, too bad it was only so few. I wonder if they didn't make a big mistake there.

10+ Year Old Account
    And a wise man once said:

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Friday US box office was down to 1/3 of the previous friday, just $636K (est.) The number of screens is also now declining (from 3,406 to 1,952) I guess they had a contract for the original number for two weeks.

At this rate it will be a struggle to reach $50M in the US.
    Let's take a look. Hmm, $45.9mil after 3-4weeks and #30 in terms of US sales in 2016, below such films as Barbarshop 2, How to Be Single, the Huntsman 2, and especially damning, Now You See Me 2.

Bacon Catcher was right. Unless the drop-off trend dramatically changes, $50 mil will be quite the struggle indeed. Least it's doing well internationally (#10 worldwide).

The troublesome part of Chinese revenue is that the conversion is not dollar for dollar, when transferring back to the US.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but there are many "hops" along the way, each taking a percentage. It's very difficult to market in China AND make a profit.

I would not be surprised if $300 million earned, equates to $50 million in the USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    The troublesome part of Chinese revenue is that the conversion is not dollar for dollar, when transferring back to the US.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but there are many "hops" along the way, each taking a percentage. It's very difficult to market in China AND make a profit.

I would not be surprised if $300 million earned, equates to $50 million in the USA.
    My guess there is that the Chinese money would go to the Chinese investors first, that way you avoid additional costs of conversion.
    Warcraft had quite a few of those. This would also increase the chance that Authorities will count this film as partly domestic which in turn would decrease taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    My hope is that they tell the story that the old, cancelled point-and-click Warcraft adventure game was supposed to tell, which is Thrall's young days and escape from slavery.
    Quoting Duncan Jones :
    "If we do have the chance to do more movies… to me, this story is about the Orcs losing their home. And Durotan trying to find a new one for his people. I would love, by the end of the trilogy, for us to know where the new Orc home is. And Thrall is obviously going to be massively important in that story".

http://collider.com/warcraft-movie-explained/

It would be awesome to have Lord of the Clans as the second movie of the trilogy.I wish we got to see it on the silver screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    It would be awesome to have Lord of the Clans as the second movie of the trilogy.
    Really? It's a very boring (and quite immoral) story.

The movie has already turned a profit though. Don't believe that BS that it has to clear 500 million in reality all movies cost far less than what "experts" say. If you listen to them Lord of the Rings never turned a profit.[/I]
    There's no indication for a profit. $422 million right now. And even if they would have made a profit, it's not enough to justify another Warcraft movie with the same production costs and marketing budget. No studio releases such an expensive movie for a profit of $50-100 million.

well I didn't mind the movie, although the elves looked fake AF. that was probably the only down side I actually noticed. plenty more stories to tell, quite possibly much better ones.

they didn't even touch the surface when it comes to notable characters.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-07-06 at 06:17 AM.

You can't do Lord of the Clans until you do the Second War though. If they were going to do that then they'd need three movies before even getting to Warcraft 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.