Page 1 of 44
... LastLast

New Iron Man will be a black female teen in comics.

There's a new Iron Man in town — and she's not a man, not yet a woman. Marvel announced Wednesday that the comic-book version of Tony Stark will be shedding the Iron Man suit and Riri Williams, a 15-year-old black girl, will be stepping into his big, metal shoes.

Following the events of the Civil War II comics, Tony Stark gave up the Iron Man suit, allowing science genius Riri Williams — who reverse-engineered her own Iron Man suit out of her MIT dorm room — to don it instead.

Williams was created by Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis, who has worked on expanding Marvel's cast of minority characters with Miles Morales, Jessica Jones and Maria Hill, as part of the relaunch of Invincible Iron Man, a flagship series in the more diverse Marvel NOW! era. Riri's character design was drawn by book artist Stefano Caselli.

In an interview with Time, Bendis said that Riri's ascension to Iron Man successor resulted from her taking charge of her life through her scientific skills after her life was tragically marred by random street violence.

"I thought that was the most modern version of a superhero or superheroine story I had ever heard," Bendis said. "...It just seemed that sort of violence inspiring a young hero to rise up and act, and using her science acumen, her natural-born abilities that are still raw but so ahead of where even Tony Stark was at that age, was very exciting to me."

The Civil War II comics, which haven't wrapped up yet, will show the fate of Tony Stark, and why he decides to give up his Iron Man mantle. Bendis does hint that Tony is aware of Riri and that their paths may cross, either in the Civil War series or when Riri makes her debut in Invincible Iron Man #1 in the fall.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...iams/86747068/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Man seems like a bad name for a girl piloting the suit.

Other than that, cool.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Iron Man seems like a bad name for a girl piloting the suit.

Other than that, cool.
    Iron= Fe, Man=male there for she is Iron man. cool indeed.

We had a good run, Ironman. You will always be my favorite and you shall be remembered.

Jesus.. I used to love Marvel. But this whole "let's make all the male characters female to pander to the SJW's" is just pathetic. What's next? Female Cpt America? Female Antman? Or a male Black Widow? That last will obviously never happen.

So why couldn't they make a new one, rather than changing an old one?

In a year or two Tony will be back to being Iron Man and this girl, if she proves popular enough, will also serve as some kind of "Iron Person" as well...though I do hope they start giving these characters different names. Currently Marvel has two characters named Spider-Man (Peter Parker and Mile Morales) and 2 characters named Captain America (Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson) all of whom exist in the same universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    It basically is a new one. She built her own suit and it's different than Stark's, and he's retired.

Rather than totally retiring the Iron Man name they tagged her and her new suit onto it as a continuation of the story.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Jesus.. I used to love Marvel. But this whole "let's make all the male characters female to pander to the SJW's" is just pathetic. What's next? Female Cpt America? Female Antman? Or a male Black Widow? That last will obviously never happen.
    Half Asian half African Transgender Spiderman/women
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2016-07-06 at 09:02 PM.

Pretty triggering that they're misgendering her so blatantly tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    All our heros gotta hang up the coat at some point, and some of them want there ideas to continue on so they pass up the mantle to people they feel will live up to that. Race and gender are meaningless when finding a person you feel will live up to the name. I had issues about the female Thor and Asian Hulk till I gave it a little thought and said "it isn't so bad". Think about the Ghost Rider he's had many different types of women and men take up the mantle.

gotta love Marvel, the butt puckering all these changes make for great entertainment on thier own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Same reason Hollywood likes to make sequels and reboots as opposed to new IP's.

7+ Year Old Account
    The big talk now is 'Is Captain America Gay with Bucky Barnes?' Like, what the actual fuck? I'm totally for equal rights for everybody, but there has to be a friggin line to draw somewhere. They are taking this whole diversity in heroes thing to a new level - a black, female, teenager Iron Man. I'm surprised she doesn't have some sort of handicap or something just to hit every bucket. Once she gets choked, kidnapped, or hit by a male character, there's going to be a bunch of protesting, just like when Apocalypse choked Mystique in the movie poster...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Half Asian half African Transgender Spiderman/women
    Spider thing!, Spider thing!, does whatever a Spider thing does..

The world is changing and comic books have to change along with it if they want to appeal to a new reader base, that said as long as the story is great I don't see why anyone would mind something new.

Well they killed one black person in an ironman suit, I guess they need a new black person.

I mean, yeah, making Captain America into a Nazi? Totally okay.

Iron Man being a woman (not even the first time)? That's outrageous.

Next they can just put a reflective spot where the face should be and the reader can see themselves as the hero. This way nobody is left out and every race and gender is covered.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Pheww, we got away easy, could be LGBTQBGTSSPP asexual gender nonconforming #BLM activist