Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What does Gul'dan need the nightwell for?

One of the things I noticed in the new comic The Nightborne: Twilight of Suramar was that the Legion felt they could pull down the shield, but it would cost the nightwell to do so, but they need the nightwell for something ... and so give the nightborne the ultimatum.

All this is happening just before we arrive on the broken shore. Gul'dan hasn't had a chance to do much we know that, Thalyssra has just been expelled when we meet her, a few days only.

Why are the well's so important, this one is ofc the same substance of the Well of Eternity, whether they magical pooled some vials here in Suramar to create the font in the palace, we know the night well is formed when the Eye of Aman'thul is used 10k years ago, to converge the leyline nexus into the magical font at the palace - we know the leylines are the magical energy of the world, this is like Azeroth's arteries or veins and the well of Eternity was a wound, that resulted in giving life to Azeroth specific and only lifeforms as well as converting other titan life forms or shall I say adapting them to an Azerothian state.

Is there more significance to the Well's of Power? Is Gul'dan trying to affect the titan itself? I can't believe he is that aware of what's really going on, it seems that only Sargeras and his top lieutenants are believers in the cause, most of the others just want more power and / or more chaos and destruction - afterall that is the nature of the beings of the twisting nether completely given in to their desires wantint in their base passions to consume everything.

Not to over think it, but I think I conclude that Gul'dan wants the power himself, but it would seem that he has need for it to achieve his ends.

HE completely bluffs the nightborne, Thalyssra doesn't fall for it, a few others don't, but Elisande does, and when she does, the advisors who agree with them turn on those who do not. And so the rebellion is started.

What Gul'dan wants though, who knows.

Magic Well = OP Demonlord incoming. I think that Kil'jaeden could be using it to fully manifest in our world like he tried to in the sunwell. I don't think he is the one that would try things twice unless he learned from his mistakes the first time around. he is the brains to Archimonde's brawn.

We just killed Archimonde a second time. Pretty sure its KJ.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Maybe KJ is actually thinking logically for once? We killed Archimonde, so he's decided he's no longer capable of leading things without Sargy and has hatched a scheme to use the Nightwell to bring Sargeras back from where ever his soul is floating around at.

Just pure specualation but it might have been why he could summon so many high ranking demons at the broken shore.

gul'dan plans to use the nightwell as a massive demon portal, kil'jaeden knows his odds of beating us in a straight fight are not good, so he's going to basically use unending numbers to drown us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    One of the things I noticed in the new comic The Nightborne: Twilight of Suramar was that the Legion felt they could pull down the shield, but it would cost the nightwell to do so, but they need the nightwell for something ... and so give the nightborne the ultimatum.

All this is happening just before we arrive on the broken shore. Gul'dan hasn't had a chance to do much we know that, Thalyssra has just been expelled when we meet her, a few days only.

Why are the well's so important, this one is ofc the same substance of the Well of Eternity, whether they magical pooled some vials here in Suramar to create the font in the palace, we know the night well is formed when the Eye of Aman'thul is used 10k years ago, to converge the leyline nexus into the magical font at the palace - we know the leylines are the magical energy of the world, this is like Azeroth's arteries or veins and the well of Eternity was a wound, that resulted in giving life to Azeroth specific and only lifeforms as well as converting other titan life forms or shall I say adapting them to an Azerothian state.

Is there more significance to the Well's of Power? Is Gul'dan trying to affect the titan itself? I can't believe he is that aware of what's really going on, it seems that only Sargeras and his top lieutenants are believers in the cause, most of the others just want more power and / or more chaos and destruction - afterall that is the nature of the beings of the twisting nether completely given in to their desires wantint in their base passions to consume everything.

Not to over think it, but I think I conclude that Gul'dan wants the power himself, but it would seem that he has need for it to achieve his ends.

HE completely bluffs the nightborne, Thalyssra doesn't fall for it, a few others don't, but Elisande does, and when she does, the advisors who agree with them turn on those who do not. And so the rebellion is started.

What Gul'dan wants though, who knows.
    - Summon Sargeras / his avatar / Kil Jaeden / Other powerful demons
    - Simply get lots of power to kill stuff (stuff = us)
    - Show the people in the Broken Isles how powerful the Legion is (assuming they all know the Well is a thing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Power for the portal and summoning powerful demons.

7+ Year Old Account
    for power, obviously.
    most likely summoning strong demons to azeroth.
    dont think its kil'jaeden or sargeras tho, for that we have the tomb

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    for power, obviously.
    most likely summoning strong demons to azeroth.
    dont think its kil'jaeden or sargeras tho, for that we have the tomb
    they have the tomb s o it can't be for storng demons, it's also why the wlel of eternity is not the focus point of their attack, funny how now they no longer need it, they've just brushed past the weak night elves and drained the Well of Eternity

seems a bit weird that though, surely that woudl hae been a huge boost to them? but nothing is made of it at all, this was the focus point of the last two invasions - but now we know the Well of Eternity was never their primary target

the night elves must have been shocked at that revelation. but they've been getting quite a few shocks.

7+ Year Old Account
    also, gul'dan said he wants only a portion of the wells power, not the entire well.
    so basically just more power.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Just pure specualation but it might have been why he could summon so many high ranking demons at the broken shore.
    it's possible, sort of augment and break open the portal to such a degree. Although in the comic we see Suramar surrounded by ships bombarding - however those ships could have then gone off into Azeroth to start the pre-invasion events we get, and while we head to the Broken Shore, he is beginnign to augment the power.

Did I hear something somewhere of boring down to the core of Azeroth?

In the dream Azeroth gives Magni, she is terrified, and he speaks of something boring down to the very core, it hasn't happened yet, but it's going to - might this be what Gul'dan wants the nightwell for? there is no longer the need to use the well of power to summon SArgeras like the first time right, perhaps it's a new plan going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    it's possible, sort of augment and break open the portal to such a degree. Although in the comic we see Suramar surrounded by ships bombarding - however those ships could have then gone off into Azeroth to start the pre-invasion events we get, and while we head to the Broken Shore, he is beginnign to augment the power.

Did I hear something somewhere of boring down to the core of Azeroth?

In the dream Azeroth gives Magni, she is terrified, and he speaks of something boring down to the very core, it hasn't happened yet, but it's going to - might this be what Gul'dan wants the nightwell for? there is no longer the need to use the well of power to summon SArgeras like the first time right, perhaps it's a new plan going on.
    Yeah if the scepter of Sargeras flavor text is to be believed, Sargeras might actually have a thing for azeroth and might try to corrupt her, so she becomes his.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    also, gul'dan said he wants only a portion of the wells power, not the entire well.
    so basically just more power.
    but it's the way he said it, it's like you can smell a rat, he is hiding something, and he is down playing it.

first he flatters them by commending them on their "tenacity" to have kept this refuge up so long, then he threatens them, the stick, and they can all see this legion, is not the same as the first one (and by that you know what we mean, it's not a new legion it's just a far stronger one) - they didn't have ships the last time. they are not bound by the limitation of portal magic - just like Illidan told the Hyjal refugees - they will come back whether there is a Well or not a Well - remember the night elves believed the legion was after the Well only, which is why they were releived by it's destruction and dismayed by it's restoration, they didn't trust him about their return. Now the nightborne are the first to witness it. And they can sense (part of the imposing demonic presence) that they won't be able to hold out against that level of bombardment forever - so he gives them the stick - and plays their emotions, becuase the first thing that comes to mind is the comfort and luxuries they'd lose, so he highlights that to direct their mind, it is usually a minor concern, but then now you present it, all of as udden it becomes much more important as you are forced to focus on it out of context, this builds fear in you, to high enough levels to cloud judgement and blind true reasoning. Your reasoning is corrupted now as it is driven by fear, and it now seems very appealing to accept the terms of surrender.... "you will still have your titles, and luxuries, -he patronises them- and you will SURVIVE .. he emphaises the real threat again.

now the fear veriding makes them feel that they only have one smart choice, give up and let the legion control you and use you, it's easier this way, and you get to keep your comfy house and your palaces. etc.. and then he goes, oh you're not going to lose your power, i just want a "little" bit - now he sounds more reasonable, their greatest fear, losing their magic is just an illusion, they're not going to lose it, all he wants is just a little bit to "taste" some of it's power

"I just want to experience your ecstasy myself" now the carrot playing on emotions - it's overwhelming - even some of the advisors at that point are sold, Elisande is not, Thalyssra is not, and enough aren't, but already some are. You always get those kinds in politics, cowardly men, who would sell their own mother to any evil if it meant saving their skin. And as much as the elves would like to believe they have moved beyond such moral failing, well it keeps happening time and time again. Showing that they too are not impervious to moral failings even after 10k years of exemplary living of the highest standards.

Usually in such situations wise and strong men stand to argue for reason and inspire courage, a priest would in such a situation, and this is what you would have expected of Elisande, but it is Thalyssra who voices out what those of courage are thinking and feeling, yet when Elisande has made her decision, the majority of the advisors fell in line and they started murdering those who would oppose this.

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't really think of it at first, but him using it to summon Kil'jaeden or an avatar of Sargeras seems really likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    May be he just likes wells

10+ Year Old Account
    He hadn't bathed since he came to the main universe. He was willing to send countless demons to break down the barrier so he could get his rubber ducky and take what he desires.

Deleted
    The eye of aman'thul maybe could be used to reverse time, Gul'dan maybe trying to prevent his MU versions death, or resurrecting his MU version by placing the MU skull of Gul'dan in the font, not unlike when Arthas used the Sunwell to resurrect Kel'thuzad.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    The eye of aman'thul maybe could be used to reverse time, Gul'dan maybe trying to prevent his MU versions death, or resurrecting his MU version by placing the MU skull of Gul'dan in the font, not unlike when Arthas used the Sunwell to resurrect Kel'thuzad.
    I totally support this. Think about it... First Gul'dan severs Illidan's spirit from his body in Black Rook Hold, then he takes Illidan's body to the Nightwell for some undetermined reason (anyone with Beta access please shed some light if his reason is stated outright). Lorewise, it's likely Illidan still has the skull on his person, but I think it isn't necessary for this story to unfold. When Illidan absorbed the powers of the skull, he also absorbed a portion of MU Gul'dan's spirit as well as his memories. AU Gul'dan probably knows this (having spoken with Kil'jaeden) and he needs those memories in order to find the Chamber of the Eye and subsequently the Tomb of Sargeras's avatar.

The Nightwell is made up of pure Arcane from the Eye of Aman'thul (primordial creation energies and time magic), so it'd be the perfect source to resurrect MU Gul'dan using Illidan's body (now without Illidan's pesky spirit to interfere). Obviously things are going to get mucked up, and with Xe'ra's help, we'll find Illidan's spirit in the Twisting Nether again and attempt to get him back in his own body before AU Gul'dan succeeds.

Something tells me Gul'dan's story isn't ending at the Nightwell, especially when we have artwork showing Gul'dan and Illidan squaring off on what is likely the Broken Shore.

"Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

For the exact same reason the Burning Legion always needed the "-wells" of Azeroth and that is to summon an extremely powerful demon lord.