Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Valve seems to be making a carbon copy of Overwatch and its systems

I just read this article on tomshardware and I think its extremely funny that since Blizzard broke into the FPS scene and most importantly the competitive Hero FPS scene (no other real games like Overwatch), Valve is now changing their Team Fortress 2 game to be almost a carbon copy of overwatch and its systems.

- They will be having a matchmaking system to pair players 6 on 6 (copied from Overwatch, check)
    - Gold, Silver and Bronze metals for how you did in categories like, most kills, damage, healing (carbon copy of Overwatch, check)
    - Competitive ranks (carbon copy of Overwatch, check)

It really looks like Blizzard is always at the forefront of innovation and imagination when it comes to any game they make. I love overwatch and cant wait to see what they add in the future, but it already looks like many developers are trying to copy the genius of the Blizzard developers.

Source Article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/tea...ode,32213.html

My two cents are that Valve shouldn't have touched the quick-play/pub servers and only added competitive matchmaking. Now if i want to relax in TF2 i need to get into a community server with non vanilla settings and ads or wait in queue for "casual" 12v12 and being committed for the whole duration of the match.
    I have Overwatch when i want to tryhard already. Sorry Valve, you should have kept your Esports in CS:GO and spread this mentality plague in pub TF2.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

While WoW =Eqverquest, Star Craft = Warcraft in space, Overwatch=TF2, Hots=Dota & Hearthstone=Mtg I believe Diablo is the first of its kind and was quite innovative which others have sought to emulate.

I am still waiting for a sci-fy diablo-esque game that is good.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard? Innovators? Regarding Diablo franchise perhaps, the other games? Not so much. More like "Hey, this type of game is somewhat popular, lets make our own and polish it further". Still waiting for Blizzard to get into the sports gaming scene.
    Thread: Ranged vs Melee which is easier in PvE?
    'Originally Posted by Thelxi'
    Dragon farts stink so ranged

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    While WoW =Eqverquest, Star Craft = Warcraft in space, Overwatch=TF2, Hots=Dota & Hearthstone=Mtg.
    DotA was literally born in Warcraft 3. It's not their game, but it belongs to them more than it does to Valve or Riot, considering that they own the entire engine and pretty much all of the graphical assets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Overwatch pretty much copied TF2's entire class based FPS style of gameplay, so I don't see the problem with Valve copying some aspects back.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    DotA was literally born in Warcraft 3. It's not their game, but it belongs to them more than it does to Valve or Riot, considering that they own the entire engine and pretty much all of the graphical assets.
    Yes it was born out of WC 3, but the concept of 3 lanes with towers, core and minion waves is entirely created by the guy who invented the dota style of game. It was innovative not because of the engine it used to get off the ground but rather how you go about playing the game, a team based arena moba. It was so innovative that now it is the type of game most companies are trying to cash in on because it has a lower budget than an MMO and it is highly successful which = $$$. Moba's are a genre all their own now.

In fact there was a Transformers MMO being designed which at the end they tried to convert into a moba to try and save the project and eventually belly flopped to death, but turning it into a moba was seen as the chance to save the project because it required less cost to develop and less time to complete. I signed up for beta testing the mmo and when I got accepted I found out it had turned into a moba, of which I had no interest in mobas at that time so I ignored it.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-08 at 05:38 PM.

Yes it was born out of WC 3, but the concept of 3 lanes with towers, core and minion waves is entirely created by the guy who invented the dota style of game. It was innovative not because of the engine it used to get off the ground but rather how you go about playing the game, a team based arena moba. It was so innovative that now it is the type of game most companies are trying to cash in on because it has a lower budget than an MMO and it is highly successful which = $$$. Moba's are a genre all their own now.
    Person who created dota did it using warcraft 3 world editor. Any map made by world editor belongs to blizzard. And if you want to take it even further, dota is based on starcraft aeon of strife map.

Quote Originally Posted by Igi View Post
    Person who created dota did it using warcraft 3 world editor. Any map made by world editor belongs to blizzard. And if you want to take it even further, dota is based on starcraft aeon of strife map.
    I know where it came from. I get that. Yes, you are correct. However, the moba style of game comes from dota, not warcraft3. Warcraft didn't have lanes, minion waves, canon towers and cores. Yes, it took warcraft 3's resources to make it but mobas didn't exist before dota. Dota is an innovation in the gaming industry.

Jeeps are based on other vehicles but they were an innovation of invention as it was a war time all terrain vehicle. nothing like the jeep existed but it was designed based on all other vehicles, engine, chassy, tires, but the way it was designed was an innovation.

It wouldn't matter if it used wc3 engine or if the guy drew his ideal on paper, the ideal is still innovative.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-08 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I just read this article on tomshardware and I think its extremely funny that since Blizzard broke into the FPS scene and most importantly the competitive Hero FPS scene (no other real games like Overwatch), Valve is now changing their Team Fortress 2 game to be almost a carbon copy of overwatch and its systems.

- They will be having a matchmaking system to pair players 6 on 6 (copied from Overwatch, check)
    - Gold, Silver and Bronze metals for how you did in categories like, most kills, damage, healing (carbon copy of Overwatch, check)

It really looks like Blizzard is always at the forefront of innovation and imagination when it comes to any game they make. I love overwatch and cant wait to see what they add in the future, but it already looks like many developers are trying to copy the genius of the Blizzard developers.

Source Article:

Didn't know Blizzard OverWatch innovated on 6v6, Bronze\Silver\Gold ratings and even on Competitive ranks.

Good on them! How did we play competitive games online for over 20 years without those! UFF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Didn't know Blizzard OverWatch innovated on 6v6, Bronze\Silver\Gold ratings and even on Competitive ranks.

Good on them! How did we play competitive games online for over 20 years without those! UFF
    Hero based FPS shooter is brand new.

Class based FPS shooters have existed for awhile, stemming all the way back to the original Team Fortress built on the Quake engine.

Team Fortress and TF2 although has "team" in the name, really wasn't a competitive team based FPS. You had team elements in it, but really I never felt as part of a team in that game. I always chose a class that I really liked playing and tried to rack up kills regardless if our team won the game or not. Same with pretty much everyone else who played back then. Quake Team Fortress was essentially a team deathmatch with classes that had specific guns. Thats it.

Overwatch highly depends on the performance of your teammates to win the game. One cant just go in and rack up as many kills as possible and win the game. In this regard, Overwatch is the first FPS shooter that really depends on team members playing a class "correctly"

Its essentially a new genera: "Team Based Hero FPS"

7+ Year Old Account
    Overwatch is TF2 with new skins.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see Jaylock's face as he writes his posts. Does he sit in stone cold jaded silence, or does he have a grin on his face?

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted

Source Article:

Who cares about TF2? Nobody important.

If you've watched the Overwatch documentary you'd know how it's heavily inspired by other games as well.

Warcraft didn't have lanes, minion waves, canon towers and cores.
    Not trying to nitpick, especially since it's been years since I played Warcraft 3. Didn't one of the campaign missions basically have a lane type system with mobs constantly spawning in them and you had to work your way through that Act (or whatever it was called)? For some reason I remember one with Arthas moving through Stratholme and you'd defeat a wave and as you moved more spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    The story is basically from wow as well.

Hero based FPS shooter is brand new.

Class based FPS shooters have existed for awhile, stemming all the way back to the original Team Fortress built on the Quake engine.

Team Fortress and TF2 although has "team" in the name, really wasn't a competitive team based FPS. You had team elements in it, but really I never felt as part of a team in that game. I always chose a class that I really liked playing and tried to rack up kills regardless if our team won the game or not. Same with pretty much everyone else who played back then. Quake Team Fortress was essentially a team deathmatch with classes that had specific guns. Thats it.

Overwatch highly depends on the performance of your teammates to win the game. One cant just go in and rack up as many kills as possible and win the game. In this regard, Overwatch is the first FPS shooter that really depends on team members playing a class "correctly"

Its essentially a new genera: "Team Based Hero FPS"
    If you ever played the TF prison break map you would see team based play, usually an invasion team consisting of a medic, a heavy, soldier and a demo man, the demo man opens the underground passage with detpack, medic keeps the rest alive. The soccar game with 4 teams also had team play as you had to get the ball in your base and then defend your base as long as possible to accumulate points. Playing defense with 3 other teams trying to kill you requires team play, you were outnumbered 3 to 1 but the 3 were all trying to kill each other too.

Nah. Valve can do everything what they want. Blizzard will be always better.
    Better heroes. Better story. Better feeling. People will always love Blizzard characters ...

You can try to love the ugly TF2 characters but Sexy Mercy or Widowmaker is just better.

The only thing that is truly unique and best from Valve is Half-Life. And they were gave up with Half-Life......

You tried Valve. You lost. Again.
    Last edited by Artelia; 2016-07-08 at 06:37 PM.

DotA was born in Starcraft actually, refined in WC3. It's an interesting history, check it out.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8