WoW saves addon data in cloud service?

A while ago, I had to nuke my Windows HDD to reinstall, and my WoW folder went along with it. After I reinstalled WoW though, it seemed to have both addons and addon data included with it....from 3 years ago. All of my WeakAuras, specific unit frame settings, etc.

Since when does WoW save addons and data like this? And why does it have data from 2013?

WoW does not.
    It is possible the curse client did that, which I think it does if you have premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Curse Does.

7+ Year Old Account
    It was Curse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to nuke my Windows HDD to reinstall
    why??????????
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    WoW does not.
    It is possible the curse client did that, which I think it does if you have premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Curse Does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetroll View Post
    It was Curse.
    I don't have any Curse stuff, and I never did. I never messed with that crap because too many people said they got viruses/malware from it.

I literally just installed WoW from the Battle.net launcher, and it had all of my addons from 2013, with data included.

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    why??????????
    It's a long story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-07-11 at 02:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't have any Curse stuff, and I never did.

I literally just installed WoW from the Battle.net launcher, and it had all of my addons from 2013, with data included.

It's a long story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tell us the story
    because usually there is ways to fix a pc despite it taking a long time without reformating
    reformatting is a lazy technicans method they don't care about saving data if data needed to be saved
    in most severe cases without reformating you plug the broken harddrive into another computer to access it as a slave to fix what ever you can like that or even move data over to another computer while it's accessed as a slave so when it becomes the master then then it's able to do system restore or if you were lucky preparing..have a system image ready to use regardless of how old that system image might be

- - - Updated - - -

also storing most games on a harddrive that is NOT your OS drive will also save your data from future errors that effect the drive your OS is on

and it's easier to fix the slave drives if something happened to those but nothing happened to the master

an example
    i got 3 harddrives from different years ago
    1 of them has my steam games on it and a year old system image i used to keep it updated but something fucked with the ability to do so, so i ended up with an old image BUT atleast i have 1 incase of emergency when system restore doesn't work
    another harddrive has my origin game related data(just 1 game installed atm) but specifically my world of warcraft data is on that drive too

i try to keep my main OS hdd free from any important games so i don't have to reinstall shit if that 0.5% chance where i would ever need to reformat my main OS drive
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-07-11 at 02:27 AM.
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

reformatting is a lazy technicans method they don't care about saving data if data needed to be saved
    What? No. Reformatting is the only 100% proper way to fix most, if not any major issue. Laziness could probably come into play if the technician chooses to not back up data beforehand.

I realize that there are techs out there that try to be hero's by taking pride in not reformatting, but they are only doing themselves, and their customers a disservice.

I reformat every 6 months, whether something is wrong or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    And no, World of Warcraft doesn't save ANY addon data. It saves your keybinds though, that is about it.. So, guessing the game wasn't on the same HDD, or you had some .old wow folder?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    What? No. Reformatting is the only 100% proper way to fix most, if not any major issue. Laziness could probably come into play if the technician chooses to not back up data beforehand.

I realize that there are techs out there that try to be hero's by taking pride in not reformatting, but they are only doing themselves, and their customers a disservice.

I reformat every 6 months, whether something is wrong or not.
    Exactly. I have all my important stuff saved in an external drive. Whenever I want to reformat/reinstall windows I just wipe everything off, reinstall windows, then reinstall/copy all my stuff from my external drive, done.

I can do all that in 1:30h tops..it's actually quite relaxing, I like to do it in the morning while having a coffee.

I don't have any Curse stuff, and I never did. I never messed with that crap because too many people said they got viruses/malware from it.

WoW can't remember your addon settings as those are saved locally.

tell us the story
    because usually there is ways to fix a pc despite it taking a long time without reformating
    There seems little point in that given that it has already been done.

also storing most games on a harddrive that is NOT your OS drive will also save your data from future errors that effect the drive your OS is on
    While this is true, this makes the assumption that the person even has another HDD. Even if they do, there are other reasons why this might not be a wise idea - for example, it's more common place these days to use an SSD for the OS and several other important things, and then a high capacity mechanical drive for storage and general use. In this situation, you would be undoubtedly better off having WoW on your SSD than on your mechanical drive.

Having said all of this, WoW will save some things. Unless you have in your configuration file to disable these things. (usually by inputting a /console command in game)
    It can save your macros, your keybinds, and your chat window settings. I think there is more that it saves too, but addon savedvariables are not something it saves.
    Last edited by Raeli; 2016-07-11 at 10:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A while ago, I had to nuke my Windows HDD to reinstall, and my WoW folder went along with it. After I reinstalled WoW though, it seemed to have both addons and addon data included with it....from 3 years ago. All of my WeakAuras, specific unit frame settings, etc.

Since when does WoW save addons and data like this? And why does it have data from 2013?
    Then you never actually removed your World of Warcraft folder from the filesystem. The wtf and addons folder remained in tact. I don't know if an uninstall actually wipes that data and I'm not going to test it right now. But if you uninstalled and reinstalled WoW and everything was still present then the uninstaller didn't remove the WoW folder.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222