Deleted

Ethernet Cable help

Hi so I'm trying to setup an apple airport express at the bottom of my garden so that we'll have wifi down there, but we have quite a long garden... the Ethernet cable is 100 m long but its not a very stable connection when plugged into the apple aiport (it keeps dropping out/ slowing down really bad) but I have read that 100 m is kind of the limit for Ethernet cables...

My question is, if bought two 50 metre Ethernet cables and used a splitter half way down my garden to connect them would this make any difference?

Sorry if this is a pretty stupid question!

Wouldn't a powerline adapter be a better option?

Somethin like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power...net+over+power

10+ Year Old Account
    Is said cable 100m of stranded or solid copper cable? The former would cause that problem as 100m max distance is achieved with 90m of solid core cable and 10m of stranded.
    You can assume it's stranded core if the cable don't hold its shape when you bend it.

If you bought 2x 50m and joined them with a powered switch it would work but just using a coupler wouldn't change anything.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2016-07-11 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Wouldn't a powerline adapter be a better option?

Somethin like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power...net+over+power
    I don't really know tbh I always assumed they were used for house hold extenders rather than long distances? It's travelling from our house to the bottom of the garden to a summer house shed type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Is said cable 100m of stranded or solid copper cable? The former would cause that problem as 100m max distance is achieved with 90m of solid core cable and 10m of stranded.
    You can assume it's stranded core if the cable don't hold its shape when you bend it.

If you bought 2x 50m and joined them with a powered switch it would work but just using a coupler wouldn't change anything.
    think its stranded as its just a standard cat 6 Ethernet cable we bought from amazon and doesn't really hold its shape...

About that powered switch, would you be able to link what me to what you mean? And would the two 50 m be fine if they were the bog standard stranded ethernet cables?

I was thinking of using this to join the two 50 m cables? probs one with less ports as the others aren't needed
    Last edited by mmocdb9b77edc4; 2016-07-11 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...thernet+switch

It should be fine since you are cutting the distance in half and then repeating the signal for the other 50m

One thing I should mention is that most switches really shouldn't be used outdoors unless you have a shed or something to keep it out of the rain and heat could potentially be an issue as well.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2016-07-11 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...thernet+switch

It should be fine since you are cutting the distance in half and then repeating the signal for the other 50m

One thing I should mention is that most switches really shouldn't be used outdoors unless you have a shed or something to keep it out of the rain and heat could potentially be an issue as well.
    And general humidity. Powerline adapter would probably work better as long as the power is tied into the same circuit breaker as the source.