Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    ITT People not bothering to read the study.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0

Interesting read. It does say that blacks are more likely to face non-lethal methods of force when confronted by the police as well, but when it comes to lethal use of force blacks were either less likely to be shot or there was no difference between blacks and whites.
    This study is a mess for several reasons, but the most obvious being it draws on data from a single city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    ITT People not bothering to read the study.
    Or the entire URL. It raises the question concerning police-civilian relations, particularly in the rougher parts of big city where officers are very commonly assholes from the moment they pull you over.

7+ Year Old Account
    All other race debate issues aside, I don't see the controversy from blacks being more likely to be "targeted" when indeed they are committing more crimes. The reasons for committing crime are irrelevant to this matter; they are far, far more likely to be a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This study is a mess for several reasons, but the most obvious being it draws on data from a single city.

That's actually not really true, since his first point - ie that the police are more likely to fire on a suspect, in a situation where they are not under attack, if said suspect is white and not black - uses data from 10 'cities' (high population areas), not one. Not that this study necessarily has to be particularly good (can't be arsed to read the entirety of it myself, frankly, have to many other articles to read for that), but some of the criticism towards it in this thread is...well, unfounded, and reeks of bias. Like the guy earlier, that claimed that it had to address most earlier studies directly to be valid...which of course is complete and utter bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    All other race debate issues aside, I don't see the controversy from blacks being more likely to be "targeted" when indeed they are committing more crimes. The reasons for committing crime are irrelevant to this matter; they are far, far more likely to be a threat.
    Growing up in the hood and being targetted for being Asian, I have to agree. Targetting in itself is not a problem. The problem is with the aggressive behavior, which the study says is very disproportional when it should not.

I think most people are aware that the BLM nonsense is rarely based in facts.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Kind of a silly thing to say after you find the one study backing up your claim against the dozens on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Absolute bullshit.

The people who think everything is fine with the US police system are the ones lacking logic and the ability to comprehend the facts. You and Revi just skimmed over the fact that the report declares violence is much more likely to be used against black people. The conclusion of this report misses the point when it tries to isolate shootings.

Fact 1: African-Americans are stopped by police much more often.
    Fact 2: African-Americans have violence used against them much more often.
    Fact 3: When things escalate they are less likely to get shot.

Sadly #3 can not overcompensate for the flaw of #2 and #1, ergo there is much more escalation between black people and the police.

So stop sitting on that pretentious high horse of yours. You've absolutely no background to claim any high ground in logic or reason, on the contrary I'd argue.
    Well, when 12.3% of the population is responsible for 47% of murders...well....maybe there's a reason for 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, when 12.3% of the population is responsible for 47% of murders...well....maybe there's a reason for 1 and 2.
    So you think all those extra stop-and-frisks and traffic stops are because they're looking for murderers? or that everyone they're arresting is a murder suspect? You're using a small fraction of crimes to justify the treatment of black people in interactions that rarely ever have anything to do with murder.

So you think all those extra stop-and-frisks and traffic stops are because they're looking for murderers? or that everyone they're arresting is a murder suspect? You're using a small fraction of crimes to justify the treatment of black people in interactions that rarely ever have anything to do with murder.
    Well, you can look at the fact that since stop and frisk has stopped crime has gone up.

Stop and frisk targeted areas swamped with crime. Not race

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Absolute bullshit.

The people who think everything is fine with the US police system are the ones lacking logic and the ability to comprehend the facts. You and Revi just skimmed over the fact that the report declares violence is much more likely to be used against black people. The conclusion of this report misses the point when it tries to isolate shootings.

Fact 1: African-Americans are stopped by police much more often.
    Fact 2: African-Americans have violence used against them much more often.
    Fact 3: When things escalate they are less likely to get shot.

Sadly #3 can not overcompensate for the flaw of #2 and #1, ergo there is much more escalation between black people and the police.

So stop sitting on that pretentious high horse of yours. You've absolutely no background to claim any high ground in logic or reason, on the contrary I'd argue.
    you are confusing race with culture, common misconception

the culture in which a large part of the african american community is brought up in propagates crime, i say a large part because
    1. not all african americans are brought up in this environment
    2. whites, latinos, asians, any race is subject to this type of upbringing, not just blacks

take chicago for example, where like 99% of all shootings (gun free zone btw, safe space for criminals with guns) against blacks are committed BY OTHER BLACKS
    where is black lives matter and all their outrage when a black american citizen is gunned down by another black citizen?

the bottom line is that, we have a mainstream media machine that encourages the type of behavior that vastly increases your chance of running into the police and being on the wrong end of the law, and then want to act outraged and surprised and call for reform when the culture they have built inevitably blows up in their face.

oh and a side note, i am not denying that we have a problem with police brutality in the US, thats obvious, but to jump on the crybaby bandwagon and try to make this about race because the global media thinktank wants you to is ridiculous
    Last edited by Zolaris192; 2016-07-12 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    We did? That's not the narrative I keep hearing. What I keep hearing is "the police are out there killing black youth, they have a license to kill us, etc."
    yes we did, haven't read through whole post but look at this (you can filter results as well by clicking on state, armed/unarmed, etc)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ice-shootings/
    also, you can scroll down and see a synopsis of news reports, and links, for each case.

the media tries to keep us americans angry at each other, so we don't look towards the bullshit our government is doing to our economy, security, freedom, etc.
    ofc a 'white' being killed by a cop isn't international news, because viewers want something to be angry about, a white person dying can in no way be racist.(last part is sarcasm, ofc racism exists against caucasians)

but yes, it is indeed well known to anyone who thinks for themselves instead of joining popular media bandwagon.
    ALL LIVES MATTER, sure BLM isn't exclusive of other races lives mattering, but the sentiment should be all lives, because more 'whites' are killed by cops each year by a large margin, even more mexicans in some states than african americans.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Well, you can look at the fact that since stop and frisk has stopped crime has gone up.
    I'll be needing a citation for this. Bonus points for causation.

Stop and frisk targeted areas swamped with crime. Not race
    However, in Staten Island, the rate of searching nonwhite suspects was significantly greater than that of searching white suspects.
    http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR534.html

Kind of a silly thing to say after you find the one study backing up your claim against the dozens on the other side.
    Long time no see Wells lol. BLM are the same group that still think Michael Brown was killed despite all of the evidence, evidence that is easily able to find, I might add, that disputes that. The same group that thinks the cops pretty much deliberately killed Sandra Bland because she was smoking, and then staged it so it looked like she committed suicide. They are like a broken clock, where every once in a while they are actually correct, with this Philando Castile shooting, but that doesn't legitimize all of the other nonsense they have been doing.

Long time no see Wells lol. BLM are the same group that still think Michael Brown was killed despite all of the evidence, evidence that is easily able to find, I might add, that disputes that. The same group that thinks the cops pretty much deliberately killed Sandra Bland because she was smoking, and then staged it so it looked like she committed suicide. They are like a broken clock, where every once in a while they are actually correct, with this Philando Castile shooting, but that doesn't legitimize all of the other nonsense they have been doing.
    Not sure what any of this has to do with what I said to you. You used this thread as an opportunity to claim that the people who oppose you on this issue don't deal in facts. They have a mountain of evidence to the position that there is serious racial disparity on policing to your....what? One half ass study?

I'll be needing a citation for this. Bonus points for causation.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR534.html
    If it worked and brough crime down, it should continue to be used.

But hey, I guess the additional victims of violent crime like aggravated battery and rape should just be happy that the criminals that victimized them don't have hurtie feelings

If it worked and brough crime down, it should continue to be used.
    Locking up every man between 18 and 30 would bring down crime too. Now, are you going to back up the claim that it reduced crime? Because we really have to start there.

Locking up every man between 18 and 30 would bring down crime too. Now, are you going to back up the claim that it reduced crime? Because we really have to start there.
    I bet if we imprisoned a cop everytime they fired their gun, shootings would go down. Isn't that a good thing, Wells?

7+ Year Old Account
    The study does admit that black and latino populations are subject to violence more often that whites when confronted by the police. And it does take into account behavour. It also admits that for shootings they don't have enough data to reach a definitive conclussion.