Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Druids and Demon Hunters should have been males only from the start

Now that I think about WoW I think that gameplay reasons should have not butchered sex oriented classes. Druids should be male only for night elves and so should be Demon Hunters. Things can not be changed now but I would prefer Blizzard to rely more on sexual dimorphism and cultures of races.

That being said it is not only D and DH issue only, there are other classes too.

15+ Year Old Account
    While we're at it, why isn't cooking female only? ^_^

Demon Hunters have never been described as male only. It was just Druids being male-only and Wardens being female-only. Even if they made Druids male only when WoW launched, they would've changed it a few years ago because of the SJW.

Deleted
    Yes, and hunters and warriors should've been female only, but gameplay > lore in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    While I understand you're joking, the OP wasn't (I think?), and Druids being male-only was a lore thing back in the day.

Tell me, have you played Black Desert? And does gender locking classes make the game more fun? Does gender locking classes add diversity or add interesting gameplay? Isn't Blizzard's motto, "Gameplay above all else?". Lore can always be broken and bent at the writer's will. And you are just now thinking about WoW? Were you a mindless husk walking around in starting zones until something just 'clicked'?

Demon Hunters have never been male only, and Druids being male only was only ever a night elf thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    ok sure lets play the

"WHO WANTS TO BE A HORRIBLE SCUM OF A HUMAN" game!
    by the way i do not share any of these thoughts, this is more for entertainment and poking fun at how horrible this thread is

Warrios should only be males
    healers should only be females
    first aid, alchemy, herbalism, inscription, and cooking should only be female
    archaeology, mages, and fishing should be male only
    rogues should all be black or goblins
    undead should be enemies of both factions
    tauren should be unable to eat meat
    worgen should be unable to eat veggies
    varien should build a wall around stormwind and make those pesky orcs pay for it!

also demon hunters were never "male only" we see a few at the black temple, just they were alot more rare speaking few females were strong enough to become one, and the druid thing was a thing, but was thrown out long ago, like how they said no one could practice arcane, but come the cataclysm they accepted it and bam, night elf mages
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2016-07-12 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

There is a night elf archaeology toy that has flavor text saying this was antiquated. The female druid/male hunter statue thing.

Deleted
    Mages should not be able to roll Gnome, it is an affront to realism. Female characters other than Night Elves and Orcs, should not be able to roll any melee class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Hey men can cook too. I am a master at using the microwave.

We like our female animalistic, beastly druids though, don't we guys?... Guys?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Demon Hunters have never been described as male only. It was just Druids being male-only and Wardens being female-only. Even if they made Druids male only when WoW launched, they would've changed it a few years ago because of the SJW.
    yes, that is the dimorphism part, while I can see them being a magic users, obviously, the melee fighting part is a little bit off to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbLuck View Post
    Tell me, have you played Black Desert? And does gender locking classes make the game more fun? Does gender locking classes add diversity or add interesting gameplay? Isn't Blizzard's motto, "Gameplay above all else?". Lore can always be broken and bent at the writer's will. And you are just now thinking about WoW? Were you a mindless husk walking around in starting zones until something just 'clicked'?
    no, I have not. but I have played other games with such mechanics and yes it was fun. oh you are so mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narbootz View Post
    There is a night elf archaeology toy that has flavor text saying this was antiquated. The female druid/male hunter statue thing.
    of course there is. they wanted to cover it somehow.

Why are DH Male only?
    Could have given Nelves female exclusive priests too. Maybe female only warriors to represent Wardens?
    Thing is Night Elves are the only culture that comes to mind which had such clearly defined gender roles. Did humans have female warriors during the RTS? Perhaps they could have been dropped, but there's no compensation with a female only human class.
    They probably thought about it but the scope is so limited that it's really not worth the limitation. Such restrictions would also likely have eventually been lifted as racial restrictions are being and as shaman/paladin faction restrictions were.

Deleted
    I like how nobody has mentioned that alongside female druids, male priests were implemented. If anything, there's still a degree of sexism in Night Elf society because the higher rankings of the priesthood is exclusive to women (AKA - the Sisters of Elune). I'm pretty sure that female druids have no such boundaries.

I'll tl;dr now that this is all stemming from lore, not from any personal views on the sexes. Priests and Druids are traditionally the only two gender restricted roles in elven society. There have always been male warriors and hunters - sure, they're very rare and in-game only women are ever shown (bar a few quest npcs), but they've never been forbidden.

At the end of the day, I think it was right to remove gender restrictions in favour of gameplay anyway. I despise any game set up that bars you from certain genders or backgrounds because of class, unless it's mired in the universe lore of course. It just adds frustrating exclusivity and lack of customization. Of course, WoW is like that with races, but at least it has solid lore backing it up. I wouldn't oppose all races being able to be all classes (But that's a discussion for another thread).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Why are DH Male only?
    Could have given Nelves female exclusive priests too. Maybe female only warriors to represent Wardens?
    Thing is Night Elves are the only culture that comes to mind which had such clearly defined gender roles. Did humans have female warriors during the RTS? Perhaps they could have been dropped, but there's no compensation with a female only human class.
    They probably thought about it but the scope is so limited that it's really not worth the limitation. Such restrictions would also likely have eventually been lifted as racial restrictions are being and as shaman/paladin faction restrictions were.
    because males are far better physically equipped to be Demon Hunters; both strength and agility.
    No female units for hummies and orcs that I can think of.

Why would Demon Hunters and Druids only be gender specific?
    As far as Demon Hunters lore goes, it was any Night Elf or Blood Elf that was mentally and physically strong enough to take on the Demonic ritual to become a Demon Hunter.
    And for Druid's it was any race that had strong ties to nature and the person itself had to be intune with nature to become a Druid. Nothing Gender based. Mostly just from share willpower or being the right type of Race to be able to be these Classes.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJin View Post
    because males are far better physically equipped to be Demon Hunters; both strength and agility.
    Night Elf Females (cant say the same for Blood Elves) are physical much stronger than the average female normally would be. Firstly, most of them are most likely well over a thousand years old, meaning they have many, many years of trained combat skills/strength and secondly, (at least for the Night Elves) that are native to the forest, meaning they have survival abilities to harsh conditions and hunting skills to kill efficiently. Night Elf Males could possibly be stronger than Females, but Night Elf Females lore-wise still have better strength and combat than the average human male. So they have more than enough of strength to become a Demon Hunter.
    Last edited by Decisive The Hallowed; 2016-07-12 at 12:47 PM.

Deleted
    This topic is so stupid on so many levels I am just speechless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narbootz View Post
    It's Female Druid Male PRIEST statue

Not hunter, not warrior, not sentinel, not warden. PRIEST. As Night elves also had that little difference with the priesthood AS WELL AS the Sentinels were Female only. Males could still be warriors, hunters and such they just couldn't be official soldiers, because the sentinels were women-only. Oh yeah one last thing, wardens aren't warriors. They're a type of nelf priest.

And there's no lore about night elves and blood elves being the mentally strongest to become demon hunters... Maybe compared to orcs, but the demon hunters we play as adventurers are ILLIDARI and the Illidari only had "access" to a buttload of blood elves and a few night elves when it came to training demon hunters. That's why there's only belf and nelf demon hunters at release, because those are the only kinds demon hunters there were in the ILLIDARI.
    Last edited by mmoc661de564ba; 2016-07-12 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJin View Post
    No female units for hummies and orcs that I can think of.
    That's actually bullshit. Research indicates 70% women are just as strong as 75% men.