Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You can take my Pokemon Go when you pry it out of my dead cold hands.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    The entire point of the argument was not that they're exactly the same; that is never the point of an analogy. The point is that gun advocates believe, whether they say so explicitly or not, that people can take individual responsibility for their actions, and what idiots and criminals do should not be used as justification for preventing other citizens from participating. If a criminal commits a crime with a gun, or if an idiot fails to properly safeguard said weapon, that shouldn't be justification for keeping other citizens from legally owning firearms.

The exact same argument applies to anything, that just happens to be an issue he's come out in favor of, so was an easy reference.

By arguing that "people are too stupid to use Pokemon Go intelligently, therefore it should be banned", he is now coming down on the side of banning things for everyone because some people can't use it without getting themselves hurt.

The hypocrisy of maintaining the position on one topic of "some people use this thing stupidly, but that shouldn't stop the rest of us from having a right to use it", and on a second topic of "some people use this thing stupidly, therefore nobody should use it to keep the idiots safe", indicates that the core arguments have less to do with stated rationale and more to do with personal distaste.
    Then using your logic, if you are for banning guns, then you should be for banning Pokemon Go for the same reason. Clueless players can get other people killed (walking into the street causing a driver to swerve to avoid you and hit a tree, or slam on their brakes to stop and get rear ended, etc...) If youre going to tell me I have to either be for both banning guns AND banning Pokemon Go, or allowing both to exist, then you too should be held to that standard.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    And if the OP were arguing that Pokemon GO should have an age restriction, that might be somewhat relevant. He's not, so it's not.
    I really don't give a fuck about the OPs stance on gun control, but when comparing the two there are clearly restrictions and regulation placed on one.

Deleted
    He has somewhat of a point. People are doing ridiculously stupid things. Apparently the first day the game came out, some guy walked off a bridge to get a pokemon....walked...off a bridge. Yes, the game isn't responsible for stupid people's behavior. However, this might be one of the most popular game franchises of all time, and maybe the most played mobile game of all time. I think the game should take some steps to remove powerups and pokemon from people's properties if they are asked to and take more steps to encouraging healthy behavior, putting more stuff in parks, zoos, even museums, etc etc. Make sure there isn't anything places in a spot where someone would be putting themselves in danger for this.

TL;DR, game doesn't need to be banned, but things should change to keep encouraging the healthy behaviors people are picking up like walking, socializing and such, while very actively discouraging dangerous behaviors.

Deleted
    So some teenager got shot and killed because of his own lack of thought and game is responsible?

People seriously need to grow the hell up and actually think and be responsible for their actions. Can't hold someones hand in every facet of life for their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I really don't give a fuck about the OPs stance on gun control, but when comparing the two there are clearly restrictions and regulation placed on one.
    But the OP called for a ban... not a restriction or a regulation.

Not only that, but it would also mean he would logically support more restrictions and regulations on guns. You should ask the OP himself how he feels about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    In that same week, nearly 200 people were killed by drunks in car accidents. But Pokemon GO is the real recreational problem?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    He has somewhat of a point. People are doing ridiculously stupid things. Apparently the first day the game came out, some guy walked off a bridge to get a pokemon....walked...off a bridge. Yes, the game isn't responsible for stupid people's behavior. However, this might be one of the most popular game franchises of all time, and maybe the most played mobile game of all time. I think the game should take some steps to remove powerups and pokemon from people's properties if they are asked to and take more steps to encouraging healthy behavior, putting more stuff in parks, zoos, even museums, etc etc. Make sure there isn't anything places in a spot where someone would be putting themselves in danger for this.

TL;DR, game doesn't need to be banned, but things should change to keep encouraging the healthy behaviors people are picking up like walking, socializing and such, while very actively discouraging dangerous behaviors.
    This game is like natural selection :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Guy gets shot playing a video game. "Guns don't kill people, video games do!"

Seriously, would it not be more polite to ask someone to fuck off and find their pokemon elsewhere rather than resorting to killing them in "self defense"?
    Maybe you would start to get annoyed with having to chase people off of your property 25 to 63 times a day every day and eventually go postal. Especially when you own 150 acres of wooded land where its not obvious who owns it because its prohibitively expensive to totally enclose it with a fence to keep people out

Don't walk close to the river, you might fall in and drown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So some teenager got shot and killed because of his own lack of thought and game is responsible?

People seriously need to grow the hell up and actually think and be responsible for their actions. Can't hold someones hand in every facet of life for their whole lives.
    No, that "story" is from a satire news site.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Criminals are irrelevant when every argument comes to banning, or regulating a device.
    Except what you quoted didn't mention criminals at all. You can drop criminals from the equation entirely, as the person you're quoting did, without affecting the argument being made, which is this:
    "Thing A should be banned because some people are using it irresponsibly and people are getting hurt. Thing B should not be banned even though some people are using it irresponsibly and people are getting hurt." Its a hypocritical stance, removing criminals from the topic does not change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Maybe you would start to get annoyed with having to chase people off of your property 25 to 63 times a day every day and eventually go postal. Especially when you own 150 acres of wooded land where its not obvious who owns it because its prohibitively expensive to totally enclose it with a fence to keep people out
    We should ban every item and activity where people break a law while doing. Obviously, alcohol and cars would have to be on that list. Let's not forget guns, we must also ban guns. Ooooh, let's ban sex, since some people clearly rape others, so everyone cannot be trusted to have sex.

Deleted
    It is seriously impressive that every discussion involving the US devolves into right vs left, guns vs no guns, on this forum.

Deleted
    FEAR FEAR FEAR
    While your at it, ban cars because people drive too fast, afterwards ban alcohol, because people get drunk and do stupid things. You know what, how about you ban going outside, because people tend to do stupid things outside!

Every single example you gave, is not directly related to Pokemon Go. It's related to poor device use; the app used at the moment, is irrelevant.

It doesn't require you to tresspass, common sense dictates whether you're stupid enough to do it, or not. Then, you have the idiot shooting a teen for stepping on his/her property, which again has nothing to do with the game, but with a retarded US citizen who abused his rights.

Not being aware of your surroundings while crossing streets has little to do with the game as well. It has everything to do with the users being stupid. I regularly see people messaging while walking, crossing busy streets and while driving. Ergo, unrelated to the game.

The crime example is ludicrous; you needn't wait at a Pokemon hotspot to rob someone from his/her phone. Just go to a public transport stop, where 70% of the people there are browsing through their music or messaging while waiting and voila. Or take a 5 minute stroll in a relatively busy area.

Don't get me started on the "walking near a river" example; that one made me laugh out loud.

OP, it seems to me you're just a neophobic.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-07-12 at 12:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    It is seriously impressive that every discussion involving the US devolves into right vs left, guns vs no guns, on this forum.
    Impressive wouldn't be the word i would use to describe it

Thanks for the laugh Orlong, fear of video games. To be safe we should ban cell phones all together and move back to pagers that'll show them "gamers"!

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    It's really just very enjoyable to point out someone's hypocrisy.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I firmly believe in personal responsibility, but when I end up running someone over with my car because they walked out right in front of me, Ill be the one with charges even though I couldnt do anything to avoid it, rather than the senseless person running out in traffic
    Whether a person is playing pokemon go, changing songs, texting, playing candy crush, blind, looking the wrong way, updating their facebook status or just wants to be run over, YOU are responsible for your surroundings and keeping an eye out for hazards. I've had people run out on me before, it's not hard to spot unless you're playing pokemon go, changing songs, texting, playing candy crush, blind, looking the wrong way, updating a facebook status while driving.

Point is, people will be people, banning this game will not mean that people will pay more attention to their surroundings (and the first thing it says when it loads is "pay attention to your surroundings"), the truth is that you are in control of the car so it's your job not to hit anything and that is why you have a license to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    His justification for banning it is criminal activity. He is arguing against himself... and losing.
    I'd argue that doing something illegal and being a straight up criminal are two different things. Trespassing is simply a result of the stupidity of the user base for the game. Whereas criminals will get drugs, guns, and hookers despite regulation. Unless there is going to be some blackmarket Pokemon GO server, shutting it down removes the problem entirely. Not that I want it shut down. I love the idea of stupid people dying while falsely believing that they live in this safe bubble where their actions have no consequences. I just think attacking the OP because he has a Trump avatar and is pro gun is a little ridiculous. Gun control is far more complex than getting rid of a game.

I've created a character. Can't figure it out. I'm mid-40s, so it could be that I'm too old for the game.