Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafe View Post
    Seems pretty unnecessary. I know they mean well, but this will most likely just be abused. There's an ignore button for a reason and already a "report spam" button aswell. I don't see why this is needed
    as it says above, they will only silence somone once they do a investigation to make sure the reports arnt spam
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    Ignores actually are account-wide now. Just ignore one character and it'll ignore the rest.
    Let me rephrase that - if I ignore joe bloggs on one of my toons, he won't be ignored on my alts. That is - they aren't account wide in BOTH directions.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

This is fine and all, but it's going to take some time to balance and the initial period is likely to be a bit of a mess.

Basically it empowers people who are butt-hurt to try to get people silenced any time they get offended. So if you try to say something humorous all it takes is a few humorless people to trigger a review and "roll the dice" for whether the overworked, underpaid, possibly not native language speaking reviewer decided to push the silence button or not.

Trade trolling and 12 year olds who think that the word "anal" is the funniest thing ever invented are definitely annoying and if we end up with a quiet polite chat environment that would be awesome, but on the other hand if people have to suppress every desire to express themselves because they know big brother is watching and may slap them down with no warning then that's not a healthy environment either.

Censorship, especially in the age of political correctness gone mad, is a tricky and slippery business, so this system may change nothing in terms of player happiness by angering and inappropriately punishing as many people as it makes happy.

I fear that the witty and intelligent people will end up getting silenced by the young and clueless who don't get their jokes.

"Blizzard, that player made me feel uncomfortable so I want you to hurt them so I can feel better."

Is there really a point in doing this for wow though? In 10+ years of playing the game, I don't think I have ever experienced or witnessed any real "abuse" in any chat. Also the only notable spam that really exist in the game is mostly gold sellers with their wall of text macros in trade chat.

A system like this works fine in games like MOBAs and other competitive games where toxicity is fairly common, and you are stuck with the same team of people for X amount of time. But I don't see a reason why this even needs to be a thing in wow.
    Last edited by snackfeat; 2016-07-12 at 02:34 PM.

You want to speak your mind? Reported. You want to anal *insert spell here* in trade chat? Reported. You want to tell someone to work as a team? Reported. You prefer Lucky Charms over Trix? Reported. This is going to be hella abused. After a mass silence people won't even bothering communicating with each other anymore for fear of being reported.

I'm all for it, and something similar should have been released YEARS ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Did you not read? they investigate before issuing it
    Don't bother trying. A lot of the people who are going to moan about this feature are trying to find a way to pick a hole in it because they realize it's a danger to them, personally.

If there's any negative in this feature it's that they didn't implement it years ago before WoW hit rock bottom in player attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yeah, not like trolls already abuse the report functions available. Luckily the Blizzard employees are humans, so they can investigate if a report is founded or not.
    Yeah... I learned a long time ago that Blizz CS is NOT what it used to be...

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz employees just turn on an automated silencer for XX reports and move on (They already do it with name reports)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    It's easy to ignore someone spamming in /y or /s.

That doesn't prevent them from spamming invites or being an annoyance through other systems. This does.

You can create and join player-made channels. Those are moderated by whoever creates them.
    Same goes for /1 /2 spam, but yes i agree this System generally surely helps.

But i just dont get the Duel/Wargame thing, fyi you cant duel someone that Ignores you so this does not really help any more than punishing them a bit more, wich could be their intend behind that.

I...finally can report the Trade Chat trolls and see them silenced forever? SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY MONEY!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Let me rephrase that - if I ignore joe bloggs on one of my toons, he won't be ignored on my alts. That is - they aren't account wide in BOTH directions.
    Ah, then no, you're right. That functionality isn't available ordinarily. With that, I'd like to recommend the addon Global Ignore List and Spam Filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    If there's any negative in this feature it's that they didn't implement it years ago before WoW hit rock bottom in player attitude.
    The way I see it - Blizzard are being MORE lenient on players, where as before they would have banned your account for 24/48 hours - now they just silence you.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a great idea, but i see it being abused. I prefer the If I don't want to read their stuff I can just ignore it. I would prefer they make Ignoring a player is account wide on both sides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    New Silence Penalty Coming to World of Warcraft
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    World of Warcraft offers many opportunities to engage with other players in a variety of ways and to help support positive experiences in these engagements we wanted to inform you of a new silence penalty we will be implementing with the pre-expansion patch for Legion. Depending on the type of report, players who are found to be abusive in chat or engage in inappropriate chat behaviors may be silenced from engaging in certain ways within the game.

The Silence Penalty
    Following the Legion pre-expansion, any player who is reported multiple times under the Spam or Abusive Chat categories will, after investigation, receive an account-wide silence penalty. While this penalty is active, the silenced player will find that their ability to chat with others is greatly limited.

Silenced Players Are Unable to:
    • Talk in Instance Chat (Raid, Party, and Battlegrounds)
    • Talk in global channels that are auto joined (such as General or Trade)
    • Create Calendar Invites/Events
    • Send in-game mail
    • Send Party Invitations
    • Send War Game Invitations
    • Send Invitations to Duel
    • Update a Premade Group Listing
    • Create a New List for a Premade Group

Silenced Players Are Able to:
    • Whisper to friends (both WoW friends and Battle.net Friends)
    • Reply to Whispers from Non-friends
    • Party/Raid Chat (with Invited Players)
    • Create Parties and Raids
    • Talk in Global Channels that have a moderator
    • Share Quests

The first time a player is silenced, their chat will be restricted for 24 hours. This duration will double for each silence penalty received after the first, and there is no maximum. This means that players who receive multiple silence penalties may find themselves unable to chat for a very, very long time.

Silenced players will be receiving a notification when attempting to send a message to a channel in which they have been restricted.The first time a player is silenced, their chat will be restricted for 24 hours. This duration will double for each silence penalty received after the first, and there is no maximum. This means that players who receive multiple silence penalties may find themselves unable to chat for a very, very long time.

By using the in-game report tool to identify players who may be engaging in inappropriate interactions within the various channels, you’ll be helping create the type of community we all want to take part in.
    Finally! CELEBRATE! EVERYONE! Well, except the people who know they can't control themselves and will get silenced. Haha.

As someone who has been 72 Hour'd for Harrassment because someone wanted the name I had; This is a horrible idea and will end in disaster.

I can't wait for all the quotes telling me I am a troll and I had this coming though

WEE YUUU WEE YUUU The Blizz PC Police are worried that their userbase is having a little too much to think.

Can I just have a bigger ignore list?

Some people here speak as if a report tool hadn't been available for years. Why would this system be more abused than the existing one, when the existing one had a much harsher punishment?

If anything, this is separating toxic or annoying players from actual bots and cheaters by not banning them from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Same goes for /1 /2 spam, but yes i agree this System generally surely helps.

But i just dont get the Duel/Wargame thing, fyi you cant duel someone that Ignores you so this does not really help any more than punishing them a bit more, wich could be their intend behind that.
    Think of it this way, you've already ignored and/or reported the person, they're out of your way. They may still be an annoyance for other players. This is a community-wide ignore.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-07-12 at 02:38 PM.

Holy shit, I actually called it.
    Wow! Someone get this man a trophy and an official certificate!!

Don't bother trying. A lot of the people who are going to moan about this feature are trying to find a way to pick a hole in it because they realize it's a danger to them, personally.

True, I love this as it now gives us more of a reason to report gold sellers (I do this anyways) and if the entire server reports them the entire account gets banned form talking and hopefully blizzard somehow make it so they can't just remake an account