Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Being pulled over for being too black for that car is pretty much a universally known thing at this point. Shopping while black is a common experience that even poor whites don't have to deal with.
    Is is though? Living in the Houston Metro area, we have plenty of very well off people from all ethnicity's because we have all the big players in teh oil and gas market and the engineering firms to support them. I don't see an abundance of Audi's / Ferrari's / Maserati's / McClaren's, stopped on the highway because the driver is black.

-edit-

Also don't see black shoppers harassed while I'm at the mall, but then again I don't live in a poor area.
    Last edited by bladeXcrasher; 2016-07-13 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Is is though? Living in the Houston Metro area, we have plenty of very well off people from all ethnicity's because we have all the big players in teh oil and gas market and the engineering firms to support them. I don't see an abundance of Audi's / Ferrari's / Maserati's / McClaren's, stopped on the highway because the driver is black.
    Unless you stay in a very specific area where police are uniquely professional, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Food for thought, just to give you a little idea of how off your views may be.
    You should take your own advice.

Black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.
    According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I lost you when you tossed Asians into the mix...

Also, as a black guy that grew up in the ghetto with white guys (Mike and Kev) they got the same shit we did.

People in the real world judge you based on your economic situation more than anything. Yes there are racists out there (of and against all races) but Mr. "No Ragrets" is gonna get shit on the same as Mr. Neck Tattoo.
    It's a culture, I'm a white guy who grew up along side other middle class with other middle class kids. We adopted the tendencies that made our parents successful probably helped that our parents pushed us all towards education with an emphasis on "you can do what you want as a career, but remember you need the career to provide the life you want, so choose wisely." Our most reliable neighbors are black, the father works in tech, eldest child is business, middle is tech, the daughter is going to be a translator, I think she's learning like 5 languages or more. They are going places because the parents values were instilled into them and it makes them successful. They dress well, they speak clearly, they know clean shaven and what hairstyles are going to make them look good, they know the whole song and dance routine they have to go through to succeed.

Economic situation can help, but it isn't the deciding factor. My brother had a lot of issues finding a job about 6-2 years ago, it's just his degree isn't worth shit and no one wanted to give him a chance.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you even watch the video?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Unless you stay in a very specific area where police are uniquely professional, yes.
    So the entire Houston Metro area is uniquely professional.

I've been to one accidentially because they were laying in the fucking street so nobody could drive.

Damn idiots.

I hate to burst the "study" bubble, but there are hardly 2 studies that gel to an agreement on the issue of black vs white by police shootings. As many studies that say Blacks are more likely to be shot, there are just as many that say it's equal, or whites are more likely to be shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never attended, had the misfortune of driving through an area where was one going on. A bunch of people swarmed my car and start beating on it, so obviously that was a lot of fun and not at all terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    ehh the only attention it gets from me is hopefully there will be some youtube videos of cars running though (or better over) them. (don't even care what the protest is about, just like seeing morons standing on the road trying to be dicks to others get ran over)
    There are already videos (or at least one) that show this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I hate to burst the "study" bubble, but there are hardly 2 studies that gel to an agreement on the issue of black vs white by police shootings. As many studies that say Blacks are more likely to be shot, there are just as many that say it's equal, or whites are more likely to be shot.
    Did you read the article? The statistics are all explained and sources cited. It's based off of census data.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

You guys are talking about two different things. Blacks are more likely to be shot than white without any controls put in place such as socio-economic status, demeanor in the encounter, so on and so forth. It isn't racism to say that black people commit crime more often than white people per 10,000 people (and are correspondingly shot/arrested by police more often) - that's the reality of the situation, and can be explained away, in part, by a number of factors like the discrepancy in wealth between the black community/white community, difference in stable family units, etc. When you control for those factors, then re-examine how police deal with differences blacks and whites, it appears there is no difference between the amount of lethal force involved or at least insufficient evidence to say there is.

So you're both right in terms of what you're arguing, blacks are killed more often because more of them exhibit criminal behavior in police interactions, but when you take two people of different races and they're both equally compliant, there doesn't seem to be an observable difference in applicable of lethal force.

(Doesn't mean there isn't racism, since it appears that cops are more willing to use non-lethal methods of pacification on a black man who is "compliant" than a white man, so there is some grounds for outrage)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have absolutely no idea why police would feel more edgy around African-Americans but I can take a shot at it...
    *snippy snips*

Infracted - Forbidden Topics
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-07-14 at 01:03 AM.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Yes I have absolutely no idea why police would feel more edgy around African-Americans but I can take a shot at it...
    Posting from sli I know right off the back to look for shady manipulation of statistics.

I would like to see what those statistics would look like if, instead of looking at NYC as a whole, you divided that chart into The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island, because right off the bat all of those averages are hugely, hugely skewed by Manhattan/Staten Island. If you just removed Manhattan/Staten Island which is predominantly white you'd see a massive change those stats.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Never attended, had the misfortune of driving through an area where was one going on. A bunch of people swarmed my car and start beating on it, so obviously that was a lot of fun and not at all terrifying.
    at that point im pretty sure i'd floor the gas peddle and add to the pavement
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Posting from sli I know right off the back to look for shady manipulation of statistics.

I would like to see what those statistics would look like if, instead of looking at NYC as a whole, you divided that chart into The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island, because right off the bat all of those averages are hugely, hugely skewed by Manhattan/Staten Island. If you just removed Manhattan/Staten Island which is predominantly white you'd see a massive change those stats.
    slimg is an image upload host...

Have another one
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    slimg is an image upload host...

Have another one
    Only /r/thedonald fanboys use it over imgur.

Edit: Not two posts down in your history you're praising Trump. I don't even have to do any work to spot someone willing to bend the truth, you do the work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Did you read the article? The statistics are all explained and sources cited. It's based off of census data.
    Every article/study says that. I can pull census data right now and draw my own conclusions.

A quick google search brings up another recent article and study that claims that while Black American's are more likely to be treated differently than other demographics, when it comes to the actual use of lethal force, there is no racial bias.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0

This article is about Whites being killed more often than blacks, but focuses on the media, and shows that unless you are a minority, the news is far less likely to cover the event.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ut-minority-d/

I can pull statistics that show that police interactions are largely equal among all races. I can pull statistics that show that Black americans are far more likely to believe they were unjustly stopped or the police acted in an unprofessional manor, within those same statistics that prove they aren't unjustly stopped. Ironically it's broken down by racial group for both the person being stopped and the police, and regardless of the race of the cop, Black American's are far more likely to believe they were stopped unjustly.

There are tons and tons of studies and economists and keyboard warriors and such, it's all BS. I'm not saying there aren't racial prejudices still alive and well. Of course there are, we aren't even a life time removed from Jim Crow laws. But this out-cry about systemic persecution and profiling is getting really old when all the data sets in the world aren't producing a compelling enough picture past simple facts. If the data really showed some ungodly aberration, something would have been done about it. It would have been addressed.

Right now there is just a faux observational effect occurring, similar to how people believe plane crashed occur in groups. To the observer there seems to be evidence to back the claim, but to the statistics, it's business as usual.
    Last edited by McFuu; 2016-07-14 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    I view most people on the internet as autistic retards who can't separate fiction from reality (because in reality that's most people anyways) and I don't really put it past anyone to actually run someone over because they wanted to beat the traffic to the McDonald's breakfast rush.
    You are aware there are many levels autism, correct? Not all autistic people have functional hindrances. Maybe a bunch of autistic people need to block you in while you're driving so you can be aware of this.

Peaceful or not what these protesters are doing when they do something such as block traffic are showing a complete disregard for others. The same thing they feel, they are imposing on others. Black lives do matter, I'm not disputing that. But have respect for others if you want be respected in return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every article/study says that
    According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.
    Which part of this analysis do you specifically disagree with?