Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ117 View Post
    I believe that English/British people are afraid of showing such values because they are automatically identified with the Empire. You are taught to be ashamed of the Empire's deeds throughout the world. This, nothing to lean on as identity because English history has always been about imperialism and conquest from the days of the Normans.
    Funny, this is what people say to Germany usually. I think Europeans in general do have just the proper amount of patriotism. People are blinded by the shining brilliance of American nationalism, however. So these days people think "Patriotism" actually requires you to chant your countries name, have a whole closet full of flags and clothing in your national colours, know every oath by heart and have your tear ducts automatically engage whenever they hear the national hymn or see the flag raised somewhere...

- - - Updated - - -

You talk and talk. Yet come with zero examples with how you show patriotism and nationalism in English society. Let me give you an example. We fly our Danish flag and pride ourselves with our Viking ancestry.
    And the English fly their flags, have more impressive parades than the Danish ever will and pride themselves in laughing about themselves, their rotten food, their very odd sense of humour, a football team that lets them down whenever they play, yet still they believe in them 2 years later, because Britannia... btw, have you seen the Night of the Proms at some point? Watch it, then come back and tell us how the British aren't proud of their nation.

Oh, btw, Britain just told Europe to go fuck itself, because they were that nationalistic. If anything, they're too nationalistic.

You're quite detached from reality, aren't you?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." -Albert Einstein

Just wanted to point out that most succesful civilisations of our history have been multicultural...
    The problem is that mankind is degrading back to distrust, hate and above all, nationalism.

Deleted
    You talk and talk. Yet come with zero examples with how you show patriotism and nationalism in English society. Let me give you an example. We fly our Danish flag and pride ourselves with our Viking ancestry.
    Lol examples.

Hint: before talking about a nation make sure you know at least the basics.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way lol at "Viking ancestry".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xMysteriox1402 View Post
    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." -Albert Einstein

Just wanted to point out that most succesful civilisations of our history have been multicultural...
    The problem is that mankind is degrading back to distrust, hate and above all, nationalism.
    Enough nationalism is healthy. You can be nationalistic without being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    So has this already become a thread of djalil deflections and mayhem running from arguments as usual?
    I mentioned the Roma earlier, and had to wonder if everyone ran from it...and them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Do they consider a genocidal mass murderer one of the 10 greatest countrymen of all times?
    No but they do fly flags for fucking EVERYTHING

10+ Year Old Account

Enough nationalism is healthy. You can be nationalistic without being a dick.
    I disagree, i find nationalism to be something odd. One should be proud of their nation but at the same time you can be called into question of your sense of loyalty if you doubt the actions of your nation, while to move forward as a nation one would always have to see what can be improved, what is a feeling rarely appreciated in nationalist circles.

Fully understand the Einstein quote as he fled from Nazi germany. Always important to know the time spirit it was said in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    No but they do fly flags for fucking EVERYTHING
    The more you know. So do the English. Northern Ireland for example. Union jack on every lampost

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I disagree, i find nationalism to be something odd. One should be proud of their nation but at the same time you can be called into question of your sense of loyalty if you doubt the actions of your nation, while to move forward as a nation one would always have to see what can be improved, what is a feeling rarely appreciated in nationalist circles.

Fully understand the Einstein quote as he fled from Nazi germany. Always important to know the time spirit it was said in.
    Einstein was living at a time were nationalism brought us world wars. The nationalism I'm talking about is the one that gives you faith in your own institutions. That kind of nationalism. Buy local, that kind of stuff you know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I mentioned the Roma earlier, and had to wonder if everyone ran from it...and them.
    What does that actually mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Einstein was living at a time were nationalism brought us world wars. The nationalism I'm talking about is the one that gives you faith in your own institutions. That kind of nationalism. Buy local, that kind of stuff you know.
    Do we really need nationalism for that? Can we not just as easily make the argument to buy good products or what is an important element for many simply buying ecologically.

If we look at faith in our institutions isn't it the nationalistic parties making us doubt them? I believe it is as, also people would have more faith in them if they worked for them this disconnected feeling of finding that their own government doesn't serve them won't be improved by more nationalism but by results and good examples.

What does that actually mean?
    The Roma are considered an ongoing "problem" in Europe.

France continually evicts them from ad hoc shanties and camps (and destroying said camps). Italy went so far as to have them all fingerprinted a few years ago.
    And that's just off the cuff from what I recall.

Deleted
    The Roma are considered an ongoing "problem" in Europe.

France continually evicts them from ad hoc shanties and camps (and destroying said camps). Italy went so far as to have them all fingerprinted a few years ago.
    And that's just off the cuff from what I recall.
    How does that tie in with the post you quoted originally? Anyway the Roma ARE an ongoing problem in Europe. Are you aware of the situation at all? Even by working gradually on assimilation it's going to take a number of generations before it gets sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Not all cultures are compatible with one another. Western values clash pretty heavily with other societies that don't value things we consider basic human rights.
    Theres no need to hide it... We are not compatible with Islam and we never will be

How does that tie in with the post you quoted originally? Anyway the Roma ARE an ongoing problem in Europe. Are you aware of the situation at all? Even by working gradually on assimilation it's going to take a number of generations before it gets sorted.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the situation.

I find it hilarious that those across the pond that point at the US in regards to discrimination can't seem to recognize their own, throwing rocks in their own little glass house, and screaming "justified."

Now, when I do look at the situation as objectively as I can...I think there may be something to this "justified discrimination."

Deleted
    Yeah, I'm aware of the situation.

I find it hilarious that those across the pond that point at the US in regards to discrimination can't seem to recognize their own, throwing rocks in their own little glass house, and screaming "justified."

Now, when I do look at the situation as objectively as I can...I think there may be something to this "justified discrimination."
    If Roma gypsy were to appear in the US and behave like they do in here, they would have concentration camps built up tomorrow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    There are places in the Middle East where Western culture (and other cultures such as those from India) have heavily influenced native Arabic culture. The UAE (while not the best with human rights) is certainly an example of a modern melting pot society.

Lebanon is a more Westernized Arab country with much better human rights on the level of a lot of nations within Europe or the Americas.

There are also communities from the Middle East which have done relatively well.

Latin America likely has more Arabic-speaking peoples than Western Europe. There are at least 10,000,000 people of Lebanese origin in Brazil alone. These people have influenced the cultures of their countries.

Middle East =/= (Radical/Devout) Islam
    But that is my point, albeit I phrased it a bit badly. What I meant was, that western culture is universially the best. Adding other cultures to it, is a net loss.
    The reason why UAE and Lebanon are doing better than their middle eastern neighbors, is that they integrated more of the western culture.
    If they entirely ditched their own culture, and swapped it out for western, it would be a net gain for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pts99 View Post
    But that is my point, albeit I phrased it a bit badly. What I meant was, that western culture is universially the best. Adding other cultures to it, is a net loss.
    The reason why UAE and Lebanon are doing better than their middle eastern neighbors, is that they integrated more of the western culture.
    If they entirely ditched their own culture, and swapped it out for western, it would be a net gain for them.
    The "best" due to being the most educated and having left and abandoned a lot of old weird, harmful and strange traditions. So in that sense only due to being progressive and leaving most of us behind us.

If we swapped cultures and put them in the same regions that lacked structure, education and stability you would not see an improvement. A good example of that are the colonies more specifically congo where after the stability fell and everything else our influences we left behind remained and so did many of our ways as we installed our religion among other things, yet that region is still riddled by war.

Measuring cultures outside of all those influences is merely nitpicking at best and being dishonest to oneself at worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that English/British people are afraid of showing such values because they are automatically identified with the Empire. You are taught to be ashamed of the Empire's deeds throughout the world. This, nothing to lean on as identity because English history has always been about imperialism and conquest from the days of the Normans.
    What are you on about? From Last Night of the Proms to Tetley tea adverts, we use British Empire imagery everywhere and mythologise that era.

Deleted
    How do you know what we're taught? I just think you're deliberately talking rhubarb now if you believe what you're saying. Also I don't even know what the Danish flag looks like without googling so you obviously don't broadcast it much

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    How do you know what we're taught? I just think you're deliberately talking rhubarb now if you believe what you're saying. Also I don't even know what the Danish flag looks like without googling so you obviously don't broadcast it much
    Maybe he is talking about Universities and extrapolating that the British Empire is hated much as America is hated at the elite universities and just assumes the whole of education is like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It is just the St George flag with reversed colours.

I am not saying that the Danish are backwards or anything.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Isle of Man has a weird and kooky flag, I actually like it its design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.