Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    The person who did this clearly needs to rethink their behaviour, and manipulating photographs of ISIS executions to add the head of someone is disgusting (and could be interpreted as a threat if you're really aggressive about it), and I have nothing against this King Willem-Alexander, but this is ridiculous.

Is insulting people illegal in the Netherlands? If they wouldn't arrest you for insulting a hobo, they shouldn't prosecute you for insulting the king.
    It's not insulting though, it falls more under defamation. If I am your neighbor and I go saying you're a rapist (and you're not), your life is ruined because of my actions-- and in this case it could seriously harm a country if it was taken to be fact. It's not like he photoshopped the kings head on a movie scene making some kind of joke and called him a sissy

I assume he got the time mostly(if not entirely) for the photoshopping the kings head onto the isis victims heads which can be seen as a threat.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Not outside America, "where at least I know I'm free".

I'm typically not the "God Bless America" type but that's pretty fucking obnoxious, throwing a guy in jail because he insulted you.
    TIL the US doesn't have libel laws.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

7+ Year Old Account
    Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    TIL the US doesn't have libel laws.
    Private citizens are protected against those charges against "public personalities" which a King most certainly would be.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being a twat is your "god-given" right in America. "I might not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" was of the cornerstones of early America.
    Except the US has laws against libel, which calling someone a rapist would definitely fall under.

- - - Updated - - -

Private citizens are protected against those charges against "public personalities" which a King most certainly would be.
    That's not true at all.

In United States law, public figure is a term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure

Photoshopping a picture of the king into a picture with ISIS is pretty good evidence of acting with actual malice.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the Dutch Monarchy is anything like ours in Britain then this lad isn't far off with his description

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    It's not insulting though, it falls more under defamation. If I am your neighbor and I go saying you're a rapist (and you're not), your life is ruined because of my actions-- and in this case it could seriously harm a country if it was taken to be fact. It's not like he photoshopped the kings head on a movie scene making some kind of joke and called him a sissy
    Note that in some countries it is illegal to say insulting statements - even if they are true, so "(and you're not)" can sometimes be skipped.

10+ Year Old Account
    He isn't even going to jail because he was 14 days in custody already and his sentence is only 15 days plus 15 days conditionally anyway. Serves him right for defaming the king and ex Queen Beatrix.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    If the Dutch Monarchy is anything like ours in Britain then this lad isn't far off with his description
    Are you implying Lizzy sits on faces in her freetime yelling OOO YOUNG MAN

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Didn't they used to torture people to death for that? 30 days in the hole is a step up if you ask me.
    Yeah considering what use to happen if you insulted the king, seems like he got off pretty easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    I assume he got the time mostly(if not entirely) for the photoshopping the kings head onto the isis victims heads which can be seen as a threat.
    Nope.

The only crime is falling foul of Article 111 of the Dutch Criminal Code - the offense of "intentionally insulting the King".

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Except the US has laws against libel, which calling someone a rapist would definitely fall under.
    Photoshopping a picture of the king into a picture with ISIS is pretty good evidence of acting with actual malice.
    There's a reason these kind of cases don't appear often in the US - they'd have to prove that he knew that the statements were untruthful and damaging and you're generally not going to find that sort of thing unless he left some sort behind some evidence incriminating himself. Not to mention that regardless, libel is a civil charge and doesn't carry any jail time with it anyways, so while he might be fined for it and negotiate to make a public apology for it, he wouldn't be behind bars even if things didn't go his way.

Countries without freedom of speech should be firebombed into submission.
    FreedomOrDeath

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    FreedomOrDeath
    Yeah please come bring your peace to the Netherlands. Only problem we have no oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I understand that these accusations can be really serious and could negatively effect your life indefinitely. If someone gets defamed, they should definitely be allowed to sue. In this case though, it's obvious that the accusations are rather questionable, thus not many would take him seriously. If anything, people higher up the ladder shouldn't be surprised if the lower-downs hold nasty views of them (even views such as accusing them of rape).

I doubt it would seriously harm a country if others think the leader is a rapist- in some places, the leader is.

The leader of a country or a king shouldn't get special treatment either. The particular description of the law is "offending the dignity of the monarch". Does there really need to be a law against this? I'm sure they have anti-defamation laws as well. Putting a potentially 5 year jail sentence on top of this would really be stupid.

Being a twat is your "god-given" right in America. "I might not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" was of the cornerstones of early America.
    Afaik even in the US defamation is a thing.

FreedomOrDeath
    And of course, freedom of speech just means ''being an internet troll''

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason these kind of cases don't appear often in the US - they'd have to prove that he knew that the statements were untruthful and damaging and you're generally not going to find that sort of thing unless he left some sort behind some evidence incriminating himself. Not to mention that regardless, libel is a civil charge and doesn't carry any jail time with it anyways, so while he might be fined for it and negotiate to make a public apology for it, he wouldn't be behind bars even if things didn't go his way.
    Criminal defamation laws are also a thing in the States, just not on the federal level.

Between 1992 and August 2004, 41 criminal defamation cases were brought to court in the United States, among which six defendants were convicted. From 1965 to 2004, 16 cases ended in final conviction, among which nine resulted in jail sentences (average sentence, 173 days).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...defamation_law

So not only can it result in jail time in the US, but the average sentence is almost 6 times HIGHER than what this guy received.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-07-14 at 06:59 PM.

FreedomOrDeath
    You may begin with your own. Good luck photoshopping images that imply you planning terrorist attack on white house, and walking free with "hey, me freedom speech, it joke, k?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.