Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If people, who support a candidate who will lose the primaries, are always expected to "fall in line" behind the remaining candidate, then there's no reason to have primaries to begin with. The fact that people may actually, as is their right, choose not to "fall in line" means the winning candidate has to earn those votes as well.

Simply winning the primaries does not, nor should it, guarantee the support of all the people who voted for the competing candidate. The whole concept is just hilariously asinine.

There will always be a "monster" on the other side of the aisle. There will always be fearmongering about how you're not "supposed to let the other side win." None of that makes any difference. What matters is that if you win 51% of the votes on your side, then you better start working to get enough of the remaining 49% to ensure that you win, because by no law will those remaining people just "fall in line" behind you. And especially do this in states that matter, although it would seem the electoral map is shifting quite a bit this year.
    Falling in line is about supporting the democratic process, win or lose. No, one isn't obligated to fall in line, but if you're part of a political party and you believe supporting that party and its ideas, you really shouldn't have problem supporting your parties nominee even if that person wasn't you prefered candidate. I'll give you a pass if you're an outsider but if you're someone who has registered part of a particular party for years on years and then throw a hissey fit when your prefered nominee doesn't win then I stop to question your grasp of the political process.

If you don't agree with the majority of the party...become an Independent or join another party! Otherwise your end up looking like a child who threatens to take their toys and go home whenever someone doesn't see eye to eye with them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I understand being upset, I know I am, but the amount of hate from his former "supporters" is unfathomable. The message needs to go beyond the man, it needs to keep going, but people would rather throw their hands up and attack him personally, acting as if this endorsement somehow negates his entire LIFE of work.

Sad really.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Falling in line is about supporting the democratic process, win or lose.
    So is voting for a third party candidate.

No, one isn't obligated to fall in line, but if you're part of a political party and you believe supporting that party and its ideas, you really shouldn't have problem supporting your parties nominee even if that person wasn't you prefered candidate.
    Most of Sanders' supporters are young, independent voters. Independents are the largest voting block by far. 31% Democrat, 28% Republican, rest independent.

I'll give you a pass if you're an outsider but if you're someone who has registered part of a particular party for years on years and then throw a hissey fit when your prefered nominee doesn't win then I stop to question your grasp of the political process.
    Yeah, that's not how our system works here in Finland. We don't need to throw fits, and we also don't need to vote for someone else's candidate. We've got eight major parties, as well as few smaller ones.

I understand the US political process just fine; you vote for candidate A in the primaries, and candidate B wins. You don't want to vote for candidate B in the general, regardless of who candidate C is on the opposing side, so you can write in candidate A (at least in some places I think), you can vote for candidate C, or you can vote for candidate D.

Nowhere, except in the heads of the supporters of candidate B, does it say you're supposed to "fall in line" behind that candidate.

If you don't agree with the majority of the party...become an Independent or join another party!
    Indeed. The parties are dying as we speak. More and more people are independent. No need to agree with any party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims ― 1.6 billion members of an entire religion ― from entering the U.S.
    Any remaining credibility Huff and Puff had just went up in smoke. El. Oh. El. Send this talentless hack to the Middle East and let her find out what most Sharia abiding Muslims do to women like her. THEN she can come back and rant on who is a misogynist and racist. Oh wait. She'll be too busy raising 20 kids and nursing recovery of a broken jaw thanks to her "loving" husband to care. Since you know.. your allowed to beat your spouse in the Middle East. Disgusting entitled prat who has no idea how good America is compared to those savages.

Seriously though I hope Trump does not pick Pence.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2016-07-15 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Any remaining credibility Huff and Puff had just went up in smoke. El. Oh. El. Send this talentless hack to the Middle East and let her find out what most Sharia abiding Muslims do to women like her. THEN she can come back and rant on who is a misogynist and racist. Oh wait. She'll be too busy raising 20 kids and with a broken jaw thanks to her husband to care.

Funny. They still have more credibility than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Funny. They still have more credibility than you.
    Coming from you and a cherry picked quote is funny.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Any remaining credibility Huff and Puff had just went up in smoke. El. Oh. El. Send this talentless hack to the Middle East and let her find out what most Sharia abiding Muslims do to women like her. THEN she can come back and rant on who is a misogynist and racist. Oh wait. She'll be too busy raising 20 kids and nursing recovery of a broken jaw thanks to her "loving" husband to care. Since you know.. your allowed to beat your spouse in the Middle East. Disgusting entitled prat who has no idea how good America is compared to those savages.

He already has I think. It will help gain him support from the conservative base, which he needs to win. It may be he is saving Newt for Secretary of State. Pure speculation however, but he did tell Newt he would have some official role in his cabinet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HillaryJtrump View Post
    Bernie Sanders Just Made Jill Stein The Most Powerful Woman In American Politics
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0cbf01e9eddc6
    HA! No it didn't Huffpo, *pats on head* nice try though.

Berners could put Jill Stein in the debates
    http://gokicker.com/2016/07/14/berni...stein-debates/
    No it won't, because that's not how the "debates" work.

Clinton Endorsement Backfires as Sanders’ Supporters Look to Jill Stein
    http://observer.com/2016/07/clinton-...to-jill-stein/
    Good for them.

Donations To Jill Stein Up 1000% After Sanders’ Clinton Endorsement
    http://www.mintpressnews.com/donatio...sement/218447/
    Good for her.

Bernie's supporters flock in droves to Green Party's Jill Stein
    http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2016...001004059.html
    Well have fun with that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I mean she has a chance if you vote for her.

Use your brain.
    No. No she does not. If every single person who visited this forum voted for her she would still have no chance. In fact there's a higher chance you and I hit the lottery than Jill Stein becoming president. She isn't even the most popular third party candidate which is kind of sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HillaryJtrump View Post
    Donations To Jill Stein Up 1000% After Sanders’ Clinton Endorsement
    So what, like $250 in donations instead of $25?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    People are quite determined to be as delusional as possible.

Fuck it. #yolo

This is patently absurd and not worth addressing.

Democrats have a mere plurality, most of which wanted Hillary, and over half of Sanders' supporters went to Hillary, with the rest dividing themselves up between three different candidates. Do you know what numbers are and how they work? Because if you do, this is not a reasonable speculation.

A backfire would imply those people were ever going to vote for Clinton, but as a result of the endorsement will no longer do so. We're talking about people who pretty much hate Hillary. This isn't a backfire so much as simply not being effective (except it still probably sent at least some voters her way, so it actually was).

Five whole dollars.

Enjoy political insignificance. I'm sure it will bring you all the change you ever wanted.
    Something needs to be done to break the two party stranglehold that this country has. If this is the thing that gets people to notice and think third parties are legit, then that's a great thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    "Trump gets it, he gets many American problems. He knows that some immigrants are raping and murdering some. He knows that some African American police haters are waging a war on good white cops. And he can even bring back most of those jobs that went to China, Mexico and other countries. He said he could, so it is a good start !!.
    Saying he could is a good start? What the fuck? If a politician saying something you like is a good start then that's really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Something needs to be done to break the two party stranglehold that this country has. If this is the thing that gets people to notice and think third parties are legit, then that's a great thing.
    The only thing that will create viable third parties is removing the first past the post system.

Hearsay about political dealings backfires as Sander's Supporters Look to find other ways to keep Bern relevant.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So is voting for a third party candidate.

Most of Sanders' supporters are young, independent voters. Independents are the largest voting block by far. 31% Democrat, 28% Republican, rest independent.

Yeah, that's not how our system works here in Finland. We don't need to throw fits, and we also don't need to vote for someone else's candidate. We've got eight major parties, as well as few smaller ones.

I understand the US political process just fine; you vote for candidate A in the primaries, and candidate B wins. You don't want to vote for candidate B in the general, regardless of who candidate C is on the opposing side, so you can write in candidate A (at least in some places I think), you can vote for candidate C, or you can vote for candidate D.

Nowhere, except in the heads of the supporters of candidate B, does it say you're supposed to "fall in line" behind that candidate.

Indeed. The parties are dying as we speak. More and more people are independent. No need to agree with any party.
    It's been proven that most people being independent is bullshit. The far majority are either conservative or liberal. They may claim to be independent and not belong to a party, but they always vote the same. It's just people don't want to be labeled despite the fact that they may as well be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    A third party candidate could win tomorrow with 99.9% of the vote, it would be irrelevant as the president has little power to legislate unilaterally, especially if both houses of congress oppose him or her.

The whole "two party stranglehold" on this country is written into our very constitution... The only thing that will ever change it, EVER, is if the constitution itself changes... And not just changes, but changes DRASTICALLY, like literal rewriting of the entire function of our government.... That is simply not going to happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hillary and Democrats are going to run the economy into the dirt. Destroying the progressive reputation for a long time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Donald Trump is a goddamn grand wizard and I expect you to respect his magical prowess. He is going to bippity boppity boo all of the immigrants away.
    Fixed your mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there's really that much that needs to be changed at the federal level. Mostly they just need to abolish the minimum number of electoral votes or implement a form of preferential voting in the Electoral College. The bulk of the work is getting each state to change to preferential voting in the first place.
    Or we could go back to the person who received the second highest number of the votes was the VP and do away with running mates like it was in olden times.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I'm a Bernie man. Giving your vote to Jill Stein is giving your vote to Trump. I'd rather have Hillary.
    And giving your vote to Hillary is giving your vote to Satan.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    And giving your vote to Hillary is giving your vote to Satan.
    Yeah, Satan is real big on SCHIP.