Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    The people not the military. The people are in the streets supporting their democratically elected leader.
    This democratically elected leader has done everything to jeopardize democracy in that country. Not all elected leaders live up to the people who elected them, and when they don't, they should be deposed.

The only question is, whether the military wants to return the country to democracy, or to just take over and take Erdogan's place. It is almost always the latter sadly: I can't think of a single example of a military takeover in the modern history that would end in pro-democratic course.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    You may be on to something there Seriously though, I've also noticed things going way aggressive this year. Our own internal politics is also shaping up this way, but that's trivial to the outside world.
    Yeah the US Presidential Election Dumpster Fire is a goddamn Saturday Morning Cartoon compared to pretty much everything else going on at the moment.

This is a fun reminder that for all the shit thrown at the United States on a near daily basis, it's nice being the world's most powerful country, protected by two vast oceans, the world leading economy, and generally speaking have our shit together. I would happily take Black Lives Matters nonsense over, over, well... everything else going on in the world. It's a blessing our problems are so parochial.

Deleted
    Thats how things should be done Skroe. Prick around across the globe. It worked well so far mh?

Deleted
    Pres. Obama spoke with Secretary Kerry and agreed all parties in Turkey should support democratically-elected gov’t of #Turkey

Fuckin disgusting this 2 pigs

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    The people not the military. The people are in the streets supporting their democratically elected leader.
    You should probably wait until you make claims like that. There is plenty of progranda being put out by both sides. You can't possibly know which side has the majority support of citizens until everything has settled. You can bet your ass the people of North Korea would be supporting their "democratically" elected leader as well.

With that, I'm going to take my own advice and get off the internet until things have settled!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

From my vantage point, this seems like a sorry excuse of a coup. Or an even more disturbing possibility, it's a staged coup. You don't get to take over the government while letting previously elected government officials give speeches on live television. So far no government official has been arrested, Internet, cell phones and televisions work just fine, and there are people in the streets honking their car horns during a curfew. What kind of coup is that? The past coups in Turkey weren't like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    You may be on to something there Seriously though, I've also noticed things going way aggressive this year. Our own internal politics is also shaping up this way, but that's trivial to the outside world.
    All the so called prophets who say that the apocalypse is coming must be having a field day now...

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I know that there have been even "hotter" summers in the the last century, but the tempers I've been seeing this year, the racial, religious, cultural, ethnic divisions, the violence; these seem to me to be the worst I've experienced in my lifetime.
    Its in part (not majority, but in part) due to the Obama Administraton's hands-off foreign policy allowing long brewing problems to get worse rather than deal with them in a staggered manner.

Like take for instance the South China Sea stuff... it is happening in 2016, because the Obama Administration spent 2010 to late 2015 refusing to do basically anything about it, despite the countries living there, the State Department and the US Military, saying something has to happen and soon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to see here, move along....just another typical day in Europe, get used to it.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Some random guy on location being interviewed on TV: "I think the coup attempt will fail. But I must say that I haven't seen much of democracy in this country in the last couple of years."

Why does the world tolerate coups?

Like, if a general rebelled and took the white house, why is that not grounds for war? I'd understand if the people revolted, that is different, but the military?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along....just another typical day in Europe, get used to it.
    turkey isnt in europe.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post
    Pres. Obama spoke with Secretary Kerry and agreed all parties in Turkey should support democratically-elected gov’t of #Turkey

Every and All US president regardless of D or R next to their name would have said the same thing. That's the generic talk that comes from the whitehouse when a coup happens in a Democratic state. It's not taking side it's just what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Its in part (not majority, but in part) due to the Obama Administraton's hands-off foreign policy allowing long brewing problems to get worse rather than deal with them in a staggered manner.

Like take for instance the South China Sea stuff... it is happening in 2016, because the Obama Administration spent 2010 to late 2015 refusing to do basically anything about it, despite the countries living there, the State Department and the US Military, saying something has to happen and soon.
    That's our Obama...daa da daa da daaa!! *opening gredits to a new Obama sitcom*

10+ Year Old Account
    It appears to Turkish Air Force fighter plane shot down the helicopter that has been in the coup, shooting police. Definitely not all of the army is in this.
    Last edited by Santti; 2016-07-15 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    That's our Obama...daa da daa da daaa!! *opening gredits to a new Obama sitcom*
    To be fair, when we act people love throwing it in our face,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post

They seem to be sure who wins, I guess D:

Quote Originally Posted by NYT
    Obama and Kerry Back Turkish Government

President Obama spoke by phone with Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday night, the White House said in a statement.

“The president and secretary agreed that all parties in Turkey should support the democratically-elected government of Turkey, show restraint, and avoid any violence or bloodshed,” the statement read. “The secretary underscored that the State Department will continue to focus on the safety and security of U.S. citizens in Turkey. The president asked the secretary to continue to keep him updated as the situation unfolds.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    From my vantage point, this seems like a sorry excuse of a coup. Or an even more disturbing possibility, it's a staged coup. You don't get to take over the government while letting previously elected government officials give speeches on live television. So far no government official has been arrested, Internet, cell phones and televisions work just fine, and there are people in the streets honking their car horns during a curfew. What kind of coup is that? The past coups in Turkey weren't like that.
    They dont do coups like they used to anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Why does the world tolerate coups?

Like, if a general rebelled and took the white house, why is that not grounds for war? I'd understand if the people revolted, that is different, but the military?
    Because military coups have been good in several cases. Like the Portuguese coup in 1974.

How come most of the Turkish people seem to support Erdogan?