Colossal Paladin

I finally got around to watching Deadpool tonight. Was I the only one looking at Colossus and thinking "Draenei Paladin"? Draenei aren't metal of course, but the accent, the stature, the personality...

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I'm going to go with yes because nothing he says or does is remotely like a paladin or a draenei

im pickin up what you're puttin down
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    nothing he says or does is remotely like a paladin or a draenei
    So you're saying paladins don't fight, aren't heroic, aren't (mostly) law-abiding, and don't help friends in need?
    That they don't focus on protecting the weak or encouraging those around them to better themselves?

Well, he's Russian and looks basically what he does in the comics. Maybe Blizzard were inspired by those.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    So you're saying paladins don't fight, aren't heroic, aren't (mostly) law-abiding, and don't help friends in need?
    That they don't focus on protecting the weak or encouraging those around them to better themselves?
    He attacked an ally, not a paladin

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    He attacked an ally, not a paladin
    lol ~ By "attacked" I guess you mean the scene where Deadpool keeps punching and kicking Colossus, injuring himself in the process, while Colossus is standing there trying to peacefully talk Deadpool into doing the right thing?

Ok, I get that Colossus was cast as the goody-two-shoes here (kind of how he is in comics too), and maybe that's not your thing. But pitting heroes against each other is a plot device as old as Arthur and Lancelot. Guessing you don't think they were paladins either.

- - - Updated - - -

And besides, aren't paladins supposed to be at least a bit idealistic?

I mean, if this movie was cast in WoW terms, it would be Deadpool as the DK and Colossus as the pally. No question about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Well, he's Russian and looks basically what he does in the comics. Maybe Blizzard were inspired by those.
    I wouldn't be surprised. We know "Avengers Shield" was inspired by Captain America (the First Avenger!), so the Marvel connection is there.

Deleted
    I see nothing that is even close to a resemblance myself. I'd probably guess that you don't hear Russian accents very often outside WoW and that's why the connection occurred in your own mind.

I see the resemblance to the Paladin itself with him, but then again my view point of the Paladin extends beyond WoW itself into other games and Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder. So yea, TOTALLY see him with the paladin attitude (attitude keyword) but as for the Draenei i guess part of the accent and shoulders is what got you. The stern facial expression most seem to have. Listen to Maraad and you will see the similarities between the voices. But voice and attitudes are about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    I see nothing that is even close to a resemblance myself. I'd probably guess that you don't hear Russian accents very often outside WoW and that's why the connection occurred in your own mind.
    It's true I don't hear Russian accents often outside WoW, but I'm not the first to observe that Draenei voice actors sound east European/Russian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulthane View Post
    I see the resemblance to the Paladin itself with him, but then again my view point of the Paladin extends beyond WoW itself into other games and Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder. So yea, TOTALLY see him with the paladin attitude (attitude keyword) but as for the Draenei i guess part of the accent and shoulders is what got you. The stern facial expression most seem to have. Listen to Maraad and you will see the similarities between the voices. But voice and attitudes are about it.
    Yep - voice and attitude is what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Russians are actually good @ PvP, Retribution Paladins on other hand....well we all know how we preform @ high end Rated pvp or rather lack of performance =(

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be surprised. We know "Avengers Shield" was inspired by Captain America (the First Avenger!), so the Marvel connection is there.
    Personally I see Retribution more of a Punisher (2nd movie) or Judge Dred, Retribution brings fear and terror in the hearts of the sinful foes, this guy lol.....makes u laugh because even if u get caught, all he will do is give you cookies + milk and then takes u to jail =)

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Russians are actually good @ PvP, Retribution Paladins on other hand....well we all know how we preform @ high end Rated pvp or rather lack of performance =(

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I see Retribution more of a Punisher (2nd movie) or Judge Dred, Retribution brings fear and terror in the hearts of the sinful foes, this guy lol.....makes u laugh because even if u get caught, all he will do is give you cookies + milk and then takes u to jail =)
    lol ~ He may be more of a prot pally than ret pally.

lol ~ He may be more of a prot pally than ret pally.
    Yes i can buy that =), cuz i REFUSE to play a boy scout spec, you hear me !! lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Yes i can buy that =), cuz i REFUSE to play a boy scout spec, you hear me !! lol jk
    Just because all paladins follow the Light does not mean we all have the same personality. Uther, Tirion, and Maraad were three distinct individuals. So are the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think Collosus has an attitude suitable for a paladin, but did not mean to imply that all paladins should be role played just like him.

Deleted
    It's true I don't hear Russian accents often outside WoW, but I'm not the first to observe that Draenei voice actors sound east European/Russian.

- - - Updated - - -
    Yes, they are; but that doesn't make this particular X-men character similar to Draenei. It would be like someone who doesn't hear Scottish accents very often think that Billy Connolly is a dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    Yes, they are; but that doesn't make this particular X-men character similar to Draenei. It would be like someone who doesn't hear Scottish accents very often think that Billy Connolly is a dwarf.
    I'm sure I'm biased because my favorite alt right now is a Draenei prot pally, so I'm seeing everything through that lens.

Still, he is a plated tank with a Draenei accent. With a strong sense of honor and decency. So I'm not that far into left field on this.

Just because all paladins follow the Light does not mean we all have the same personality. Uther, Tirion, and Maraad were three distinct individuals. So are the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think Collosus has an attitude suitable for a paladin, but did not mean to imply that all paladins should be role played just like him.
    Yeh i totally agree with you on this one, my own Ret follows Retribution path to extreme =) a healthy mix of blood and vengeance and some skull smashing lol, personally i view my Ret Paladin similar to the paladins described by American Writer David Dalgish in one of the books from "The ShadowdDance" series or "The Paladin" series. Basically there are 2 gods one of the light and one much darker of order, hence two types of paladins, one order follows the path of Holy/Prot paladins and another is a Dark Retribution path, the latter is feared by both their enemies and the allies