Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The bolded part is the hard thing in the procedure.
    It's actually not. Ropes and pulleys make it much, much easier, and those weren't unknown or hard to construct. You don't need metal, or even a spinning part; a rounded stone does just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get a lot of work done when there are no electronics to distract you.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I realize lots of people can do lots of small things over a long period of time, but lots of people cannot move 1k+ tonne stones even an inch off the ground with the technology we believed available in the time period.
    Uh.

Go look up stonehenge. Those rocks? Preeetttyyy fucking big.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Pretty much.

And OP doesn't have the facts straight:
    The unfinished obelisk would have weighed 1,200 tons finished. http://laughingsquid.com/crane-lifti...lifting-crane/ shows a crane lifting 1,430 tons.
    The heaviest stone found in Baalbek is at least 1650 tons.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The unfinished obelisk is unfinished and still connected to bedrock. It was never moved, so it's meaningless that we don't have a crane that can lift it - they never tried to move it either and may not have been able to.

As someone who holds a degree in Classics/archaeology, I'd suggest you stop looking for weird supernatural answers. It's embarrassing.
    That is just the biggest stone i could find, if its still attached to bedrock thats one thing...but how about the other multitude of examples of stones nearly as big strewn across the planet in the same time period?

10+ Year Old Account
    What else were they gonna do?
    I like sandwiches

Ancient people weren't as dumb as you think, they were also motivated by the whip and/or were determined by spiritual reasons to see the project complete.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize lots of people can do lots of small things over a long period of time, but lots of people cannot move 1k+ tonne stones even an inch off the ground with the technology we believed available in the time period.
    Your source for this is...what, exactly.

I already linked a video of a single dude moving 1k+ ton stones by himself with nothing more than "ropes and logs."

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    That is just the biggest stone i could find, if its still attached to bedrock thats one thing...but how about the other multitude of examples of stones nearly as big strewn across the planet in the same time period?
    Well it's not like these things were built in a weekend. They took years, even decades to complete. Even if they only moved them inches an hour that's a whole lot of time and a whole lot of people working year round to get the job finished.

And the year round bit is the important aspect. Slave labor. No breaks and if they die throw em in a ditch and steal someone else's child to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    [IMG]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/achievementdemotivator.jpeg?v=1416776101[IMG]
    I hate that meme.

The evidence points to the labor working on the pyramids being *very* skilled rather than a horde of unwashed masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Your source for this is...what, exactly.
    I guess common sense? Do you realize our current view of what kind of people we were back in those days? Not much off hunter/gatherer status, but more importantly no tools have been found at all if you are suggesting we did all this stuff by hand.

Deleted
    Math is part of human civilization ever since we started building walls to protect cities and writing down taxes payments.

I guess common sense? Do you realize our current view of what kind of people we were back in those days? Not much off hunter/gatherer status, but more importantly no tools have been found at all if you are suggesting we did all this stuff by hand.
    Stop pulling shit from your ass and smearing it into letters.

We have a lot of tools showing how things were done. More than that, we have people that wrote techniques down in many cases.

Then your view of what people were back in those days is woefully divorced from the reality that any competent historian would tell you about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the huge number of copper chisels in Egypt, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Ancient people weren't as dumb as you think, they were also motivated by the whip and/or were determined by spiritual reasons to see the project complete.
    That's wonderful but it still does not explain how these unimaginably heavy stones were moved.

10+ Year Old Account
    So propose an alternative then. You say it wasn't aliens to avoid conspiracy theory infraction but you're not putting forward any ideas.

That's wonderful but it still does not explain how these unimaginably heavy stones were moved.