Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer fan / temp help - OC/Summer

I recently got into overclocking for the first time and managed to get a stable and `decent` result however this obviously adds heat and due to the crazy temps we're getting recently it's starting to worry me a bit, anyway i'll post my specs/helpful info below;

CPU: I7 6700k 4600mhz @ 1.345v
    Mobo: Asus Z170-A
    PSU: EVGA 650 g2
    RAM: Corsair ddr4 16gb (2x8) @ 3000mhz (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    GPU: MSI Gtx 970

Case: Corsair 300R
    CPU Cooler: Noctua D14
    Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1 (Pea method)

Fan Setup
    Front: 2x 140mm Noctua intake (1500rpm max)
    Side: 1x 140mm Noctua Intake (1200rpm max)
    Rear: 1x 140mm Corsair (standard case fan) exhuast
    Top: 1x 120mm Corsair (standard case fan) exhuast
    Noctua cpu cooler blowing towards the rear

Temperatures:
    On a `normal day` my temps were idleing 29-33c
    As of now my idle temp was 36c (room temp 29c), playing wow had it spike up tp 84c (room temp 33c)
    Even before the temp rises my temps were always too high for my liking considering i have a Noctua D14 which i believe is a really good air cooler. (playing wow would reach 74c, streaming = 79c)

The case fans really haven't changed the temps much at all, i could look into replacing the corsair standard case fans that came with the Corsair 300R case, but i'm unsure what to get.

Any ideas on how to reduce temps? I could always lower my OC but searching online apprently my temps should be much lower anyway.

EDIT:

HW Monitor info (this is playing wow + downloading windows 10 to USB, room temp 32.6c)
    http://imgur.com/a/roDMe
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2016-07-19 at 02:44 PM.

Your temps are completely normal. You should be worried if you temps start exceding 90C. I suggest swappin Noctua on side intake for any of your Corsair fans and see how it goes. Corsair fans are usually pretty good, but I'm not sure which ones come with a case like that. You could be having an airflow imbalance due to higher CFM of Noctua fans.\

EDIT: Looking at the pics - yeah, your system temp is the same as your core temperatures, that's not good.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-19 at 03:09 PM.

Okay so i installed windows 10 and rearranged my fans as suggested...
    Also got the specs of the fans

Front Fans intake: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm 300-1500rpm (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CP6QL...A9EWDMB59Q8QMQ)

Side Intake: 140mm Corsair A1425L12S 1000rpm (stock case fan)

Rear exhuast: 1x 120mm Corsair A1225M12S 1200rpm (stock case fan)
    Top exhuast: 1x Noctua NF-A14 FLX (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-A.../dp/B00AA875NC)

Any ideas on what i can do to decrease temps?

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Okay so i installed windows 10 and rearranged my fans as suggested...
    Also got the specs of the fans

Front Fans intake: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm 300-1500rpm (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CP6QL...A9EWDMB59Q8QMQ)

Side Intake: 140mm Corsair A1425L12S 1000rpm (stock case fan)

Rear exhuast: 1x 120mm Corsair A1225M12S 1200rpm (stock case fan)
    Top exhuast: 1x Noctua NF-A14 FLX (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-A.../dp/B00AA875NC)

Any ideas on what i can do to decrease temps?
    If the specs I found are right your fans pump in twice as much air as is pumped out. Try switching side intake to top exhaust.

You mean swap the side intake and the top exhaust around? Or switch the side intake to top exhaust to have 2x top exhaust?
    I was told it's better to have more intake, than exhaust but i'll try switch them, but yeah which way did you mean.

Hit 84c playing wow, nothing even major just setting up the UI since re installation of windows, 34-36c room temp.

You mean swap the side intake and the top exhaust around? Or switch the side intake to top exhaust to have 2x top exhaust?
    I was told it's better to have more intake, than exhaust but i'll try switch them, but yeah which way did you mean.

Hit 84c playing wow, nothing even major just setting up the UI since re installation of windows, 34-36c room temp.
    No side intake, 2 top exhaust. You will still technically have more intake because your 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWMs pump in more air than 3 others combined. It's better to have more intake avoid dust, but you need to fix your temperature problem.

I've swapped them around and i'll see how it goes, should i perhaps buy some fast fans? My noctuas are all capped around 1200-1500rpm, i've seen people with 2000 rpm + or this SHOULDN'T be necessary ? Also how about fan profiles, i have my case fans running at full speed and my cpu fans are based around temps, around 40c they'll start running full speed.

I've swapped them around and i'll see how it goes, should i perhaps buy some fast fans? My noctuas are all capped around 1200-1500rpm, i've seen people with 2000 rpm + or this SHOULDN'T be necessary ? Also how about fan profiles, i have my case fans running at full speed and my cpu fans are based around temps, around 40c they'll start running full speed.
    You just have to make sure your intake and exhaust are comparable. Problem is your NF-A14 PWMs are performance fans and NF-A14 LPX is a quiet fan so LPX performance on maximum RPM = PWM performance on minimum RPM. Your stock fans are just weak. The ideal configuration would be 2x140mm intake, 1x140m side intake (position closer to the rear of the case), 2x140mm top exhaust, 1x120mm rear exhaust all done with performance fans. If you notice an increase of dust accumulation you can and second side intake, but make sure your temperatures are ok.

So for the 140's could i just get more NF-A14 PWMs?
    and for the 120mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-F...octua+case+fan

So for the 140's could i just get more NF-A14 PWMs?
    and for the 120mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-F...octua+case+fan
    Right, more PWMs for the 140mm slots and this for the 120mm slot.

Okay thanks for the help, i'll get them ordered and setup - Hoping it does help me though, had to downclock my OC, from 4600mhz @ 1.345v to 4400mhz @ 1.25v - Didn't like the temps reaching 80c+.

Okay so i've received my 140mm pwm fans - set them all up, my temps haven't changed at all, although i do not currently have the 120mm noctua fan (Delays on arriving)
    At the top i can feel a ton of hot air being blown out of the pc - like really hot.

Really kinda lost right now, my idle temps are always around 6-7c above ambient room temp - for example it was 24c today and min idle temp was 30c, playing wow will cause the cpu to run around 69c, streaming pushes it higher, looking at 75ish for wow+stream and this is after I've down clocked my original OC (planning to change it back once weather cools down).

My CPU goes up to 66 when playing games, not worried about that, you wont get your CPU down to ambient when idling, you will slowly heat up the rooom though if you don't have any circulation or AC.

Yeah but whats your cpu cooler and stuff? I've been told that other people with similar cooler have far less temps during STRESS tests than i do when gaming, if this is the case i'd like to know why my temps are so high. I mean the only other cooler i could possibly try is liquid cooling but i don't really trust them enough.

Yeah but whats your cpu cooler and stuff? I've been told that other people with similar cooler have far less temps during STRESS tests than i do when gaming, if this is the case i'd like to know why my temps are so high. I mean the only other cooler i could possibly try is liquid cooling but i don't really trust them enough.
    Try changing thermal paste (and if you do make sure to check the print on the heatsink to adjust your application method). Also make sure you dont have a bunch of dust inside your case. Last thing I can advice is testing on an open stand.

Okay so i've put my computer on my desk, i'll try it like this for a bit, i've also `tried` tidying all the cables... and because of that i had to reapply thermal paste.

http://imgur.com/a/2LKza

Okay so little update;

having my i7 6700k @ 4400mhz 1.25v had a max temps of 73c stress testing -around a max of 70c for wow + streaming 24-26c room temps

Having my i7 @ 4600mhz 1.34v had a max temp of 83c stress testing (4 min test so maybe higher) and 75c for wow + streaming 24c room temp

I'm still really worried since the heats gone down drastically from 34+c to 24c, so with these temps my computer would still hit 84+c playing wow assuming it reaches 34c again.

People are running 4600mhz OC's or higher and having far less temps than me - I doubt it but any chance my Noctua nh-d14 could be faulty? I've reapplied the thermal paste atleast 8 times thinking i was messing that up, but i'm pretty sure that's fine as the temps have pretty mcuh stayed the same every time.
    I've made sure my case has more than enough air flow and all cables are tidied away. (pic in above post)

I've never really Overclocked before but back when i had my i7 4770k @ stock - it would also reach low 70s streaming wow. (also cooled by the same noctua nh-d14) - but i didn't many case fans like i do now.

EDIT:
    This is my clock at 4600mhz
    Browsing mmo forums
    http://i.imgur.com/vOFB3ef.png

5min AIDA test
    http://i.imgur.com/RKaZg8G.png

Room temp: 25c for both
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2016-07-28 at 12:03 PM.

Okay so little update;

having my i7 6700k @ 4400mhz 1.25v had a max temps of 73c stress testing -around a max of 70c for wow + streaming 24-26c room temps

Having my i7 @ 4600mhz 1.34v had a max temp of 83c stress testing (4 min test so maybe higher) and 75c for wow + streaming 24c room temp

I'm still really worried since the heats gone down drastically from 34+c to 24c, so with these temps my computer would still hit 84+c playing wow assuming it reaches 34c again.

People are running 4600mhz OC's or higher and having far less temps than me - I doubt it but any chance my Noctua nh-d14 could be faulty? I've reapplied the thermal paste atleast 8 times thinking i was messing that up, but i'm pretty sure that's fine as the temps have pretty mcuh stayed the same every time.
    I've made sure my case has more than enough air flow and all cables are tidied away. (pic in above post)

I've never really Overclocked before but back when i had my i7 4770k @ stock - it would also reach low 70s streaming wow. (also cooled by the same noctua nh-d14) - but i didn't many case fans like i do now.

EDIT:
    This is my clock at 4600mhz
    Browsing mmo forums
    http://i.imgur.com/vOFB3ef.png

5min AIDA test
    http://i.imgur.com/RKaZg8G.png

Room temp: 25c for both
    Well it could just be the way your CPU reacts to the voltage increase.

Sort of a side question, do you not use air conditioning where you live?

I see threads about this on occasion and I guess being from the south in the USA, I'm like "wtf are they talking about? Overheating in the summer? wat?"

Nope i have a fan for my room, but even at 25c room temp the temps are crazy compared to what others have, I mean i could upgrade my noctua nh-d14 to the noctua nh-d15 but there really shouldn't be much difference unless i'm mistaken but it dosent seem like it actually does much...

I could turn my pc off and the only thing hot in my case would be the GPU- the case dosent feel warm tbh and the heatsink dosen't that much either

I had mid 70cs on a stock clocked i7 4770k with the same cooler and with my current i7 as i've posted above it reaches 75c + (and this is with all the case fan upgrades and such)

EDIT:

Okay so i downloaded and ran three different fan programs - hwmonitor + fanspeed + realtemp - I'm worried about cpu temp ofc which i believe hwmonitor + realtemp display accurately whilst hwmonitor has a few weird readings... "systin" and "tmpin3" tmpin3 is my gpu i guess which is fine

However systin is apparently the air temp inside my case, it would explain why my cpu is so high temperature wise i guess? but it makes no sense to me because i have PLENTY of case fans now and a clean/tidy case.

HWmonitor and speedfan display different readings, is my case really 60c + or is it 20c...
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2016-07-28 at 06:15 PM.