Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The name plate changes.

Hell, what were they thinking. We went from clear and visually pleasent name plates featuring contrast colors i.e dark green / blood red to a complete mess. The new name plates aren't particularly well defined around the edges and worse half see through. It makes them far less informative and kills oversight.

The worst change however appears to be one done to colors, both the enemies and your own. Friendly players now have a lime/light green color. This tends to be far less pronounced than the old dark green with clear border ones. Worse there doesn't appear to be an option to uniformly show enemy players in blood red. Instead they now by default (there might be a button to change this but I can't for the light of me find it nor any information on google) have class colors, all of them slightly see through aswell.

This means an enemy hunter blends right in with your teams nameplates, other classes such as monk exhibit similar problems and a very light blue of a mage compared to a lime green of your team isn't that far apart either. It turns battlegrounds especially with more players into an oversight nightmare. I don't understand why they would remove team colors in this way and go for slightly opaque very light colors across the board. It's terrible.

Hell not everyone might share this sentiment but the change to nameplates seems to be worse in every single last way. They look worse, their functionality is worse, they give less oversight and so on and on. Why, just why? :<

I think they moved in a better direction in style and functionality. I do think the size and color could use some editing to make it more visible though. I do feel they can get lost a lot easier in a sea of mobs group up for example.

Deleted
    another "improvement" that didn't work out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I think they moved in a better direction in style and functionality. I do think the size and color could use some editing to make it more visible though. I do feel they can get lost a lot easier in a sea of mobs group up for example.
    Have you done PvP, some battlegrounds for example? The loss of Dark Green vs Blood Red is HUGE in terms of oversight. They blend right in with one another and that they're all opaque and very light colors doesn't help. I'm doing better with them turned off right now and I've used them for a very long time.

I might be biased but I've not seen any kind of way in which they've been improved. Curious in what way you think they've changed for the better? They look more immaterial, that's about the only change I can see aside from making them less usefull through the border changes and those done to the colors?

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Have you done PvP, some battlegrounds for example? The loss of Dark Green vs Blood Red is HUGE in terms of oversight. They blend right in with one another and that they're all opaque and very light colors doesn't help. I'm doing better with them turned off right now and I've used them for a very long time.

I might be biased but I've not seen any kind of way in which they've been improved. Curious in what way you think they've changed for the better? They look more immaterial, that's about the only change I can see aside from making them less usefull through the border changes and those done to the colors?
    I have.

Which is why I pointed out color and size could certainly use some work. I am willing to expand that into boarding as well. But I think the behind the scenes things with the plates have improved (debuffs, fluid movement of health bars, etc). That is what I mean by systems being "better". I do think the look certainly, again, could use some work for a few reasons. Like getting lost in a sea of mobs. Or not being a visible in a BG for another.

There are really good addons for this... Tidy Plates is excellent.. however it'll be a few days before a Legion build is fully working.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    There are really good addons for this... Tidy Plates is excellent.. however it'll be a few days before a Legion build is fully working.
    Yeah and odds are most people will just custom UI it into what they want anyway. Which is why the point of all this is kind of lost. If you can fix something with a 20 second addon that makes it exactly how you want why waste more time debating why the change was made than it takes to fix it to satisfaction.

I like the new nameplates a lot more than the old ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the current change, really do. An update from the clunky old bars.

As well, I only have hostile bars on. And as so, there are addons to support this.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah and odds are most people will just custom UI it into what they want anyway. Which is why the point of all this is kind of lost. If you can fix something with a 20 second addon that makes it exactly how you want why waste more time debating why the change was made than it takes to fix it to satisfaction.
    You could also wonder why Blizz wastes development time on crap that has already been done so well in an addon.

Deleted
    Feels kinda bad to have to resort to addons to "fix" this. I looked at tidy plates but it seems to be pretty damn bugged right now.

uid movement of health bars
    I must say, I find this pretty damn terrible. Because it's "time delayed". Those HP are gone in an instant. The person you're watching doesn't have 100k anymore and then it slowly drops to 50k over the next 1-2 seconds. That person already has 50k hp because the damage is instant. It distorts the information for the sake of making it look more flashy.

I guess it's not a big problem in PvE, especially since they retained the proper Red vs Green scheme there albeit it's less pronounced but for PvP it's kind of a disaster. It's sacrificing utility and useability for the sake of flashiness and pleasing people who like "graphics".

You could also wonder why Blizz wastes development time on crap that has already been done so well in an addon.
    To be honest, I could most people who like this change i.e it "looks more dynamic and flashy!" be the same crowd who isn't exactly using addons for, reasons. It feels as if they sacrificed utility knowing people who want it will go out and get it for the sake of making it visually pleasing and colorful aswell as flashy for, people who like that and don't much care about getting proper information out of it.

I don't know if it is a waste to people that like it though. Which is always how you have to look at change. Unless the negitive point of view is the only one you take which is perfectly ok. Just not obviously a very healthy one.

How do I remove the f*cking health/mana bar that appears in combat in the middle of the screen? -.-

15+ Year Old Account
    My biggest issue is that there isnt an option to make them toggle in combat only else I dont have a problem about them.

I don't know if it is a waste to people that like it though. Which is always how you have to look at change. Unless the negitive point of view is the only one you take which is perfectly ok. Just not obviously a very healthy one.
    My point of views are genuinely critical, not negative. They are only perceived negative by those that disagree. Without differing opinions, you have no way to improve.

To me the nameplates were fine the way they were. The newer people at Blizzard are always trying to "make their mark" on WoW... and they sometimes try too hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    My biggest issue is that there isnt an option to make them toggle in combat only else I dont have a problem about them.
    Hell, simply an option to make the teams show in colours again to get a contrast would TREMENDOUSLY improve them. But it seems that option was removed always showing enemies in class colours.

Because you don't buy the game with addons, and they will always try to improve and update the default UI for players that prefer to use it / players that are unfamiliar with addons. By that logic, why does Blizzard even bother with having a UI at all since there is addons available for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    Because you don't buy the game with addons, and they will always try to improve and update the default UI for players that prefer to use it / players that are unfamiliar with addons. By that logic, why does Blizzard even bother with having a UI at all since there is addons available for everything?
    Yeah the in game voice chat went over like a lead balloon too. I'm sure no substantial development time was put into that.

Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    another "improvement" that didn't work out.
    Technically, this is an opinion stated as a fact. Since you are not the end all on this subject, and it's completely based on personal subjectivity, you shouldn't pass things off as fact.

The facts of this are that the current name plates are actually far better code, and require less resources overall and received good benefits to their API's.

I definitely prefer the new nameplates, with one caveat: go into the interface options and enable "larger nameplates" or they're too small, and change the overlap setting to stacking so you can see them all.

Not needing ui mods to see resources or debuffs is rad.