Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats just how she is, if you watch interviews or talk to her in person she acts the same way. not sure why you didnt like her though, most of the internet thinks shes the best part
    Because she's a cartoon stereotype of a mad scientist, she ruins every joke by just mugging to the camera and constantly overacting and even when she's in a scene and she's not the focus, she still ruins those scenes because she's doing "whacky" shit in the background.

I find myself in the odd position of actually liking 3 of the 4 Ghostbusters in this movie, when I went in thinking I wouldn't like them at all, but McKinnon just ruined it for me, too much overacting. I would place most of the blame on the director though, because if thats what she's normally like, the director should have reined her in, instead he gave her free reign and she ends up ruining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    didnt realize it got 60 more. last figure i had seen was 300
    I know you're banned, but even at 300 mil it'd be number 15, which is still damned high especially considering the super hero glut we've had since 2008.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Paul Feig wanted to feature Pringles because they resemble maxi pads. Genius
    "But who could resist these salty parabolas?"

I'm sure it wasn't meant that way...no?

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why feminists are so rabidly defending this piece of crap movie. Just because the cast is full-female it doesn't automatically mean every person -has- to voice their support for the movie in the name of equal representation of women or representation of women in general. heck, how come I love Jessica Jones but still find this movie obnoxiously bad? the only people to blame are the staff responsible for the movie, who, instead of trying their BEST to come up with a good script and giving it all they got (because hey, when you do a gender swap for a well-established movie, you should at least be arsed to give it your best shot, the sensitivity of this particular movie and the controversies around this movie makes it all the more important), came up with a shallow script full of bad jokes, delivered weakly by mediocre actresses.

so, somebody, please, give me a reason to support this movie. explain to me, and make me understand, WHY should i support this movie? what is so great about this that's making women -love- it?? is there some artistic value to it? is it the queef jokes? is it the cast? what is it?
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2016-07-20 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the women in my circle of friends hated it. My sister refuses to see it altogether. I guess all my female friends must be misogynists lol

I still refuse to see it, everyone I know outside of the internet hated it or thought it was "meh" at best. I still am not interested in seeing it either, the time to do this movie should have been 15 years ago. And it shouldn't have been a reboot, if they were all daughters of the real ghostbustrers I would have got behind it more.. but, yea, nope.

I am boycotting remakes and reboots right now. Hollywood has gone out of control...

The last good remake in my opinion was True Grit... haven't seen a good reboot/remake since.
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-07-20 at 01:40 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Women don't love it, I went with a group of 6 people, 4 women, and they all either thought it was meh or hated it.

No one laughed in our theatre, all the jokes fell flat. My advice to anyone going to see it, if you don't laugh in the first 5 minutes, walk out, because it doesn't get any better.

They're already planning a sequel.

Maybe even a new franchise

After pulling in nearly $46 million at the box office, making it one of the top-grossing live-action comedies in years, Sony executives are looking to capitalize on the success of Ghostbusters and plans are in the works for a sequel.

President of worldwide distribution at Sony, Rory Bruer, told The Wrap he expects the revamped Ghostbusters to become a very important franchise within the studio, adding that the Ghostbusters world was "alive and well."

"While nothing has been officially announced yet, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen," Bruer said.

With Sony seemingly behind the idea of following up with at least one more movie, the question is whether the cast and writer/director Paul Feig are interested in returning. Feig has previously mentioned that he has a couple of ideas for a second movie, but the rest of the cast has been mum on whether they'd like to return.

Deleted
    They want a Franchise because Sony needs a Franchise. They tried it Spiderman, thats why Amazing Spiderman 2 was basically 4/5 different trailers for movies smashed together.

Ultimately I think Ghostbusters will pull back in its budget, but I highly doubt the next film will and that will be the end of that.

Ghostbusters will become "an important franchise" because it will be there only franchise, and they desperately need to start making money, because the only area that Sony makes money atm is in its video gaming branch.

Based on word of mouth with this movie, I can't see a sequel doing well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    All the women in my circle of friends hated it. My sister refuses to see it altogether. I guess all my female friends must be misogynists lol

I still refuse to see it, everyone I know outside of the internet hated it or thought it was "meh" at best. I still am not interested in seeing it either, the time to do this movie should have been 15 years ago. And it shouldn't have been a reboot, if they were all daughters of the real ghostbustrers I would have got behind it more.. but, yea, nope.

I am boycotting remakes and reboots right now. Hollywood has gone out of control...

The last good remake in my opinion was True Grit... haven't seen a good reboot/remake since.
    well so far like 70% of the girls I talked to either "love it" or "support it" and frown when I say that the movie is not good. and they have not provided any good arguments as to why they support it. :\
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2016-07-20 at 04:12 PM. Reason: You don't discuss moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They're already planning a sequel.

Maybe even a new franchise
    You're just a little bit late to the party.

Fallout of this film is fantastically interesting.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday that was mentioning Elizabeth Banks originally backing out of directing Ghostbusters (2017) and the scarcity of female comedic directors. The commentator mentioned at the end that the perception in the film industry is skewing toward the notion female directors are unreliable- in tandem with the recent string of flops for female comedic leads, GB (2017) being a flop is kind a big blow to female lead comedies that are targeted at 4 quadrants.

I honestly and personally just do not find any of of the actors in GB (2017) funny. Either in this film or others- these people never made me laugh like ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fallout of this film is fantastically interesting.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday that was mentioning Elizabeth Banks originally backing out of directing Ghostbusters (2017) and the scarcity of female comedic directors. The commentator mentioned at the end that the perception in the film industry is skewing toward the notion female directors are unreliable- in tandem with the recent string of flops for female comedic leads, GB (2017) being a flop is kind a big blow to female lead comedies that are targeted at 4 quadrants.

I honestly and personally just do not find any of of the actors in GB (2017) funny. Either in this film or others- these people never made me laugh like ever.
    cough2016cough

I've never seen half of them, and the half I've seen I don't find funny, so this movie wasn't ever on my radar.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    cough2016cough
    Oh yea. I am not very good with dates. I thought it was Thursday all day today until like an hour ago.

I've never seen half of them, and the half I've seen I don't find funny, so this movie wasn't ever on my radar.
    Eh. It's unlikely anyone is missing something spectacular. Pretty lame comedy imo.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Watched the film, it's an average movie made sub-average by the fact it's a remake of a very good film.

The thing I found quite revealing while watching it was it actually felt a lot like I was watching a Blaxploitation film. For reference Blaxploitation is a genre that emerged in the 70's, a studio would produce an average quality film with a low budget and hire black actors for all the big parts (thus saving more money) they then would market it and hope to make a large profit from a black audience. Essentially exploiting their desire to see heroes they could relate too, feel empowered, etc, hence the name Blaxploitation.

I would classify Ghostbusters (2016) as a Femsploitation film, the studio decided to make an average movie and hired an all female cast specifically to exploit money from feminists (or just women in general) who would want to see it purely for that. They then decided to make it a remake of a classic with an established fan base in order to exploit that too and maximise their profits. The result is a film that demeans women in film more than it empowers them, and draws hate from the established fanbase at the same time.

The fact the film is so obviously exploitive hurts it's watchability somewhat, which is a shame as the female actors are obviously trying hard to make the film work. Hopefully these types of films don't become more common as time goes on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    That is a strange question to ask. What is it trying to uncover?
    I just had massive Pixel vibes from the film.
    As in Sony attempt at con job film franchise.

Having mulled it over a bit, what was the artistic or intellectual point of remaking Ghostbusters in the way they did? Oh silly me it's all about that mullah.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad that this supposedly empowering film is the most sterotype filled schlock I'ver seen for years.

Horrible sequel and spinoff incoming.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.

Genuine question here. Does anyone ACTUALLY find Melissa McCarthy funny? Like, she was alright as a side role in Gilmore Girls, but as a comedic actress, I find her to be entirely a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Watched the film, it's an average movie made sub-average by the fact it's a remake of a very good film.

The thing I found quite revealing while watching it was it actually felt a lot like I was watching a Blaxploitation film. For reference Blaxploitation is a genre that emerged in the 70's, a studio would produce an average quality film with a low budget and hire black actors for all the big parts (thus saving more money) they then would market it and hope to make a large profit from a black audience. Essentially exploiting their desire to see heroes they could relate too, feel empowered, etc, hence the name Blaxploitation.

I would classify Ghostbusters (2016) as a Femsploitation film, the studio decided to make an average movie and hired an all female cast specifically to exploit money from feminists (or just women in general) who would want to see it purely for that. They then decided to make it a remake of a classic with an established fan base in order to exploit that too and maximise their profits. The result is a film that demeans women in film more than it empowers them, and draws hate from the established fanbase at the same time.

The fact the film is so obviously exploitive hurts it's watchability somewhat, which is a shame as the female actors are obviously trying hard to make the film work. Hopefully these types of films don't become more common as time goes on.
    That is a pretty astute observation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So.

Genuine question here. Does anyone ACTUALLY find Melissa McCarthy funny? Like, she was alright as a side role in Gilmore Girls, but as a comedic actress, I find her to be entirely a flop.
    She's awful. She can't help it.

The worst thing I've seen her in was spy with Jason Statham.
    Jesus that was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    I just had massive Pixel vibes from the film.
    As in Sony attempt at con job film franchise.

Having mulled it over a bit, what was the artistic or intellectual point of remaking Ghostbusters in the way they did? Oh silly me it's all about that mullah.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad that this supposedly empowering film is the most sterotype filled schlock I'ver seen for years.

Horrible sequel and spinoff incoming.
    I see. While I find the entire concept of remaking Ghostbuster repugnant and have no interest in ever watching this abomination of a movie I actually rather enjoyed Pixels. I know it seems to be a widely hated movie I just never understood why. I just thought it was a strange thing to ask because I personally don't see the comparison between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So.

I think she is ok at least in some things, but the other three are far worse in my opinion. Poorly selected cast all around.