7+ Year Old Account

Z170 on the cheap ok?

Hello!

I was messing around in LFR last night and my frame rate is driving me nuts. Time to upgrade!

I am on a budget, but I think I can get enough together for an i5 6600k, but I have noticed that the prices on the z170 motherboards can vary from $80 to $300+

My question is if I can get by on the cheap with the motherboard, and if so does anybody have a recommendation I can check out.

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-571-_-Product

Its what I use with the i5 6600k. If you're looking for a budget mobo. It has gone on sale in a bundle with the i5-6600k 3 times in the past 3 months with 16gb of DDR4 ram for around 310-330. Its simple, only has 4 sata ports, but is overclock friendly and I've had no problems with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-571-_-Product

Its what I use with the i5 6600k. If you're looking for a budget mobo. It has gone on sale in a bundle with the i5-6600k 3 times in the past 3 months with 16gb of DDR4 ram for around 310-330. Its simple, only has 4 sata ports, but is overclock friendly and I've had no problems with it.
    Thanks ! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for

Depends if you're overclocking or not, and what are your I/O needs (USB 3.1, M.2, etc). Note that you will need RAM with that setup too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Depends if you're overclocking or not, and what are your I/O needs (USB 3.1, M.2, etc). Note that you will need RAM with that setup too.
    I am not planning on over locking, but I like the option to do so since i5 6600k has the reputation as a good overclocker. No sli, just need one pcie for an aging gtx 690. I don,t need fancy usb, just an old keyboard and mouse on it.

I bought the Asus Z170-P that was linked recently and I can add my voice to the "it's an awesome mobo" crowd. Just remember to get the proper DDR4 RAM

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    I bought the Asus Z170-P that was linked recently and I can add my voice to the "it's an awesome mobo" crowd. Just remember to get the proper DDR4 RAM
    Initially I was going to try to use my old ddr3 chips, but I read that the 6600k does not like 1.5 volt ram, so I decided to go ahead and get ddr4. I can get a pair of Kingston 4 gig chips for $15 each, so what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomislav View Post
    I am not planning on over locking, but I like the option to do so since i5 6600k has the reputation as a good overclocker. No sli, just need one pcie for an aging gtx 690. I don,t need fancy usb, just an old keyboard and mouse on it.
    Have no experience with ASUS Z170-P but I know that Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 is a good pick in that price range.

- - - Updated - - -

Initially I was going to try to use my old ddr3 chips, but I read that the 6600k does not like 1.5 volt ram, so I decided to go ahead and get ddr4. I can get a pair of Kingston 4 gig chips for $15 each, so what the hell.
    Skylake only supports DD3L or DDR4.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-22 at 10:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would go with something a little better. That is a budget board, the review isn't that good on it.

Look at the boards you like and just go read reviews from people that have tested it, not bought it and swear by it. Most people never push their boards, hell 80% of the people that buy "K" processors never o/c them.

Here is the review for that board. If I were you I would spend a little more.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-i...ound-up_Page-2

Hello!

I was messing around in LFR last night and my frame rate is driving me nuts. Time to upgrade!

I am on a budget, but I think I can get enough together for an i5 6600k, but I have noticed that the prices on the z170 motherboards can vary from $80 to $300+

My question is if I can get by on the cheap with the motherboard, and if so does anybody have a recommendation I can check out.

Thanks

well its a nice processor and the asus board is the best. Its what I run currently with 32gb ddr4 ram getting 100fps with a asus 750ti.

When i built this PC in 2011 i bought the absolute cheapest p67 board i could get my hands on (biostar), bundled with the CPU at microcenter i think i was 40 bucks. 5 years later it still runs great 4.2 daily overclock and can go up to 4.9 if i want to push it.

Boards dont make a difference : )

7+ Year Old Account
    My order for the ASUS Z170-P has been placed and hopefully I will be flying through azeroth sometime next week. Thanks for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I would go with something a little better. That is a budget board, the review isn't that good on it.

Look at the boards you like and just go read reviews from people that have tested it, not bought it and swear by it. Most people never push their boards, hell 80% of the people that buy "K" processors never o/c them.

Here is the review for that board. If I were you I would spend a little more.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-i...ound-up_Page-2
    No NVIDIA multi GPU support - no problem for people on a "budget".
    4 SATA ports - with how big HDDS are nowadays shouldn't be an issue. I have my 500 GB SSD, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, and my DVD Drive. I would never need anything else.
    It is what it is, its a cheap board that can overclock well, but won't really go the distance. I currently have my I5-6600k easily overclocked to 4.3 GHZ with no issue. If you're in the market for multiple GPUs, you probably aren't in the market for this mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

My order for the ASUS Z170-P has been placed and hopefully I will be flying through azeroth sometime next week. Thanks for all the input!
    Grats and I hope you enjoy your purchase.