Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    You do realize that the adrenaline that takes over in a situation like that enhances our senses right. The shock happen's afterwards, but shouldn't have an effect of what they heard during.
    So when a rape victim is frozen in shock during the rape, is that considered after the rape now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Yep I know now who I have to put on the ignore list.
    Thanks for telling us, but you don't really need to validate your decisions with the rest of the forum.

No seriously, just put people on ignore and don't mention it, good lord.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Nazi Gonzales and Roadrunner Omar? That's dark man!
    How this get that far? I really don't understand. Compare 2005 with 2015. How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    This is entirely possible, btw. I wouldn't be surprised at her imagining things at all.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but it has an effect on what they're remembering. Especially after traumatic situations. That's why eye witnesses are such a bad source of evidence for things like traffic accidents. People tend to fill gaps in their memory without realising. This has been extensively researched by psychologists and neurologists and is scientific fact. What's uncertain is how this applies to the individual case, such as this woman. We don't know anything about her or her situation. I mean, it's freaking CNN interviewing you, that alone would freak some people out "What? The world is listening to me?"
    The shooter would have most likely shouted 'Allah Ackbar' momentarily before any shots were fired. Therefore, your claim that the witness must have been so traumatised not to retain any accurate recollection of the account doesn't seem feasible, especially when you consider that 'Allah Ackbar' would have been shouted, loudly, and therefore more likely to be remembered by those who hear it because our minds tend to remember perculiar disturbes like this around us. Think about it, if you go into a restaurant and shout a phrase, it has lasting effect, and is better remembered, than a phrase spoken at a normal tone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Well that is a ton of speculation on your part of someone you don't even know.

Explain to me then why the police would interview dozens upon dozens of people who were victims of this attack if their testimony will be unreliable and useless?
    The reason of eyewitness evidence being somewhat unreliable is the reason why they ask everyone...
    The condensed data out of all accounts tends to be reliable.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Explain to me then why the police would interview dozens upon dozens of people who were victims of this attack if their testimony will be unreliable and useless?
    Individually it may be unreliable, hence why they interview dozens of people, so they can pick out the information that keeps popping up and is corroborated by other witnesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Locking yourself in an echo chamber won't help you in the long run.
    But it does help me keep my sanity for a couple more years.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Because a sample size of "dozens" is quite a bit bigger than a sample size of one. Dozens of them might be in shock, but its extremely unlikely that their brains would piece together the same story.

Eye witness accounts rarely hold up in court because of how unreliable they are.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I'd argue the sooner they reflect on what happens is the best recollection they're going to get if it's traumatic, and the more eyewitnesses the better, I don't necessarily believe this research is set in stone. Do you have any data to support it's scientific?
    Seriously? I have had police officers and lawyers tell me this. No, I don't have actual medical research papers on hand about it, but the people working with witnesses every day all agree: Witness accounts are not 100% accurate most of the times.

Yes, getting the witness account as early as possible helps, but it doesn't mean that she didn't have time to convince herself it was a terrorist attack. Heck, the first thing people think about when they hear about a shooting is "terrorist attack" these days. When I hear a gun somewhere, it's the first thing on my mind. So yeah, whlie I wouldn't outright dismiss it, I would treat it with caution until it's confirmed by other people. Independantly.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    They kill "our" children while doing everything in their power to reproduce as heavily as possible (a page from the Maoist playbook), operating under the belief that they'll breed the West out of existence. What it will do is result in governments becoming more authoritarian and autocratic as they are forced to crack down on their radicalized populations to uphold their original values and principles, which will in the end degrade those values and principles. Still, I look forward to a day when ideologies in general are viewed with ridicule and revulsion.
    One child policy, who enacted that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jork View Post
    The shooter would have most likely shouted 'Allah Ackbar' momentarily before any shots were fired. Therefore, your claim that the witness must have been so traumatised not to retain any accurate recollection of the account doesn't seem feasible, especially when you consider that 'Allah Ackbar' would have been shouted, loudly, and therefore more likely to be remembered by those who hear it because our minds tend to remember perculiar disturbes like this around us. Think about it, if you go into a restaurant and shout a phrase, it has lasting effect, and is better remembered, than a phrase spoken at a normal tone.
    "better remembered" as in "no other witness has heard it"?

"Rukmini Callimachi, a New York Times correspondent, recounts a sad story from Munich through a series of tweets.

A father is looking for his son, who was in the Olympia shopping centre.

The family knows the news is bad, but the father has a heart condition and is too unwell to be told - so they keep searching.
    4. Emotional, hard-to-watch scene at Krankenhaus Schwabing hospital. In the parking lot, a father with bloodshot eyes walks in circles
    9:42 p.m. - 22 July 2016
    5. He explains that his teenage daughter &amp; son were at the Olympic mall when shooting erupted. Daughter made it out. They can't find son

6. It's 4th hospital he's. gone to try to find his 17-year old son. In fact relatives know what happened. A cousin shows me pics on cell

7. She walks me away from father & flips through images showing teen lying in pool of blood. She hides phone when father approaches
    That kinda shit is heart-breaking.

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/statu...09542402736131

#Munich police arrested three men near Marienplatz following reports of a second shooting http://dailym.ai/29R1LgR

They definitely don't look like far-right German nationalists.
    Quote from the article:

Police arrested three men, near Marienplatz square following. It has not been confirmed whether the arrests have any connection to the shootings

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Thanks for telling us, but you don't really need to validate your decisions with the rest of the forum.

No seriously, just put people on ignore and don't mention it, good lord.
    Belize.. I'd like you to know.. I'm ignoring you.

Not because I hate you, but because you chose the wrong poketeam.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    "better remembered" as in "no other witness has heard it"?
    It is still early snd witnesses may come forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that the adrenaline that takes over in a situation like that enhances our senses right. The shock happen's afterwards, but shouldn't have an effect of what they heard during.
    It might have an effect on their recollection of the events later though. And it certainly does; I know it did for me, when I nearly drowned in an ocean - I remembered funny things about the experience later, that certainly couldn't be true at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    By scare you mean actual muslims killing peoples by the bucketloads in Europe? Or the "its not really muslims, but people seem to think so" kind of scare?
    The "a few terrorist attacks happened, we should all be frightened" scare.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Seriously? I have had police officers and lawyers tell me this. No, I don't have actual medical research papers on hand about it, but the people working with witnesses every day all agree: Witness accounts are not 100% accurate most of the times.

Yes, getting the witness account as early as possible helps, but it doesn't mean that she didn't have time to convince herself it was a terrorist attack. Heck, the first thing people think about when they hear about a shooting is "terrorist attack" these days. When I hear a gun somewhere, it's the first thing on my mind. So yeah, whlie I wouldn't outright dismiss it, I would treat it with caution until it's confirmed by other people. Independantly.
    Oh, I'm not doubting that perception could be a bit messed up considering the times we live in, is she the only witness that said she heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    You won't believe this, but before I picked number 3, I did think to myself that the person wasn't in the line up, but going with the need to confirm something I picked 3.

Complete memories where you have to choose between 6 people, their facial characteristics, their age, their height, their weight, their specific clothing, is a lot of information and memory power.

No one is disputing this.

However, we are not talking about specific memory of physical characteristics and trying to determine who they match up with.

We are talking about if someone in the immediate vicinity of the gunman heard him say "allah ackbar" or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Belize.. I'd like you to know.. I'm ignoring you.

Not because I hate you, but because you chose the wrong poketeam.
    Oh, it's always my fault isn't it! Have you ever considered YOU chose the wrong team!?

TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTIONS FOR ONCE, I'M TIRED OF THIS RELATIONSHIP!

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It might have an effect on their recollection of the events later though. And it certainly does; I know it did for me, when I nearly drowned in an ocean - I remembered funny things about the experience later, that certainly couldn't be true at the moment.

The "a few terrorist attacks happened, we should all be frightened" scare.
    It's probably very dependent on the individual, some remember almost impossible details about traumatic events, some people stuff it down inside.