Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Comedians running scared over perceived shift to "political correctness"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/comedian...ness-1.3691079

When the Quebec Human Rights Commission ordered comedian Mike Ward to pay $35,000 to Jérémy Gabriel for making fun of the former child star with a disability, the reactions were fierce and polarized.

Many felt that making fun of a sick child is crossing the line, even for the guy who is headlining the contingent of the Just for Laughs Festival in Montreal called The Nasty Show. Yet others felt that the fine was Draconian, and a dangerous precedent.

"I'm worried that we're trying to victimize everyone and trying to frame the freedom of speech," said Gilbert Rozon, the founder of Just For Laughs, in an interview with CBC News in Montreal. "Taste is a very personal thing."

Social media scrutiny

Finding the balance between comedy that pushes the envelope and a routine that doesn't offend anyone has been a precarious task for decades.

But many comedians today say that social media has put them under an unprecedented amount of scrutiny. Whereas a comedian's ill-advised or offensive joke would once elicit boos or, at worst, a few cancelled gigs, it now ends up on social media, where it's seen by millions.

Evan Carter, a Toronto comic who's been performing stand-up since the early 1980s, agrees comics today have it harder than when he started in the business.

"There's something that they don't like and they've picked out two minutes of a one-hour show completely out of context, and the next thing you know — boom! — it's on Twitter, it's on Instagram, it's on Facebook, and before you get off stage, you're hated."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/comedian...ness-1.3691079

How do you feel about this debate?
    Is political correctness more important than ensuring we live in a decent, caring society?

Next on the list of Tennisace's loaded questions. "Do you still beat your wife?"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Next on the list of Tennisace's loaded questions. "Do you still beat your wife?"
    What do you suppose the Quebec Human Rights Commission is there to do exactly? What is its function?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    "have you stopped kicking the neighbor's dog?"

Daily Reminder, Left-wing people (PC) has no humor sense. They will take anything that slightly offends them, and make a big deal from nothing.

Truly, the Retarded Group of Mankind. Can't take a fucking joke without being triggered. What the fuck is this shit?

Infracted for flaming. Don't refer to people as "retarded".
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-07-24 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What do you suppose the Quebec Human Rights Commission is there to do exactly? What is its function?
    Foist asinine rules, lugged over from France 300 years ago, on people who have the misfortune of telling off-colour jokes within the province apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Well, do you?
    You don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You don't?
    I told you to stop hitting me already!

10+ Year Old Account
    No ones running scared and comedians don't care, at least the good ones.

Making fun of disabled people is a bit messed up, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I told you to stop hitting me already!
    I've told you before, it builds character. Of course, as a women, you don't listen...

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's discuss the article in question, not the person posting it.

I've told you before, it builds character. Of course, as a women, you don't listen...
    w o w.

I just.. i cannot believe this. I'm asking for a divorce tomorrow!

i think freedom of speech is always, and should always, be more important than the feelings of others. it should be within anyone's rights to get up and spout the most racist, sexist, or whateverist jokes they want and there shouldn't be a damn thing anyone can do to stop you.

10+ Year Old Account
    w o w.

I just.. i cannot believe this. I'm asking for a divorce tomorrow!
    Don't make me get the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i think freedom of speech is always, and should always, be more important than the feelings of others. it should be within anyone's rights to get up and spout the most racist, sexist, or whateverist jokes they want and there shouldn't be a damn thing anyone can do to stop you.
    That's actually not even related to what freedom of speech is.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't make me get the bat.
    not the one with nails in it!

10+ Year Old Account
    not the one with nails in it!
    Mmhmm. Better watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, they want to have freedom to say whatever they want, but they dislike freedom of people to criticize what they say? That's funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    So, they want to have freedom to say whatever they want, but they dislike freedom of people to criticize what they say? That's funny.
    I think you might be missing the point. They are not saying people are not allowed to criticize what the comic says, but that having a government office start to impose fines on people b/c someone got their feelings hurt crosses a line.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Nothing to do with simply "criticism," but getting fined and legal action taken against you for a joke is fuckin' bullshit.