Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Russian team will not be banned from Olympics

UPDATE (UK tabloids are just are even worse than most people realize):

BBC came out today with the correct news:

Russia will not receive a blanket ban from Rio 2016 following the country's doping scandal.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will leave it up to individual sports' governing bodies to decide if Russian competitors are clean and should be allowed to take part.
    ORIGINAL:

The source is, unfortunately, a UK tabloid (yes, I know), but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter_mailonline

ENTIRE Russian team of 387 athletes will be banned from competing at the Rio Olympics as punishment for their country’s state-sponsored doping programme

The IOC are set to punish all 387 Russian athletes in strongest way
    Country's corrupt track and field stars were banned previously
    The ruling is set to be the most momentous in the IOC's history

The entire Russian Olympic team will today be banned from competing at the Rio Games next month, The Mail on Sunday understands.

According to well-placed sources, the International Olympic Committee will punish all 387 Russian sportsmen and women in the strongest possible way after revelations of their country’s state-sponsored doping programme shocked the world.

The country’s corrupt track and field stars have already been banned from the Games, and last week lost a desperate legal challenge to overturn that decision.

But today’s ruling – the most momentous in Olympic history – will see Russia’s medal hopes in cycling, judo, wrestling and all other disciplines excluded from competition in the wake of the scandal.

The controversy involved President Vladimir Putin’s sports ministry handing out cocktails of steroids and covering up tainted urine samples ahead of the 2012 London Olympics.

As well as excluding Russian athletes from the forthcoming Games, senior IOC figures are also advocating a ban for the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea. An Olympic insider told the MoS: ‘The IOC want to ban Russia to show [doping] is an assault on the whole of sport.

Some licence for certain individuals possibly available:
    To this end, a small number of Russian athletes who train abroad, subject to stringent anti-doping procedures and demonstrably free of Russia’s sphere of corruption, may be offered a lifeline to compete in Rio under a neutral flag.

It is understood that the Committee, based in Lausanne, Switzerland, will ask each international federation, the bodies responsible for individual Olympic sports, to examine the personal merits of potential Russian athletes, to assess whether they can compete as exceptional cases.

Two have already received dispensation to compete in Brazil – Yuliya Stepanova, the 800m runner and a key whistleblower in the doping scandal, and long jumper Darya Klishina, who is based and tested in Florida.

A spokesman for the IOC said: ‘The IOC Executive Board is meeting tomorrow to discuss the participation of Russian athletes in Rio. We intend to send a statement with the decision just after the proceedings.’

The IOC’s bombshell decision is likely to enrage Mr Putin, but it is unclear whether he and other Russian dignitaries will boycott the Games.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-24 at 03:31 PM.

The fish rots from the head.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    The source is, unfortunately, a UK tabloid (yes, I know), but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter_mailonline
    Why ban the athletes when it was state sponsored?

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    If this be true, we still stand with you my Russian brothers and sisters!

With love,

The American Undead Cheerleader

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What does that matter? They still chose to do it.
    And if it was a matter of "Well they were forced to!" Sucks. Sometimes life deals you a shitty hand.

Deleted
    Because while everyone else may (almost certainly) be at least partly doping, they are NOT entire states!

Have to start somewhere. May as well get rid of the big fish first.

As an aside, it's kind of ridiculous that it is only many decades later that certain Olympic and world records are now being broken because so many individuals were doped up in the past, despite strong training improvements and much higher competition these days.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-24 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you kinda can't have state sponsored doping without the athletes. So they're blanket banning all unless they aren't tied to Russia's dipping program, like not training there

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Putin gonna get mad enough to have some IOC officials assassinated?

putin invades switzerland

Well, this sucks. Cheating should be punished of course but it's sad that it got this far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lucky for them. They don't have to deal with Rio.

Putin laughs his head off as he saves his promising athletes from participating in the Rio games.

This is really pretty pathetic. Just another part in the anti Russia propaganda we've been seeing for the last couple of years.

Any way, they should count their blessings. No Zika for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Lucky for them. They don't have to deal with Rio.
    That's the second thought that went through my head lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    This is really pretty pathetic. Just another part in the anti Russia propaganda we've been seeing for the last couple of years.

We really don't need "anti Russia" propaganda, they do a good enough job making themselves look terrible.

Russia is a fascinating country, I hope I can visit one day. I am intrigued by their propensity for rule-breaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post

Yeah, that's about as silly as saying the Baylor title IX issue is anti Baylor propaganda. Don't have institutional bad stuff go on and you won't get blasted for it

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I take no joy in this. I think Russia has some legit clean, amazing athletes. Sucks they get punished too

So how soon till Russia starts "Doping Athletes Olympics" Russian sponsored event?
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Deleted
    Yep, unfortunately institutionalized cheating has to be punished with blanket bans, even for those who might not neccesarily be directly guilty. The way that russia has been flaunting doping regulations in all different sports has to stop and unfortunately it seems that russians only respond to forceful measures like this.

Having said that, the russians will probably spin this against as anti-russian political measures (as they have in the previous stages of these bans) so it will probably lead to further worsening of the relationships between russia and the rest of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think with how widespread the problem of doping is becoming the IOC needs to make a clear statment about what happens when you take extraordinairy measures to promote, and cover up for doping use in sports.

It's clear though that no decision has been made and that there's only going to be a decision made today (Sunday) on what actually happens. This article is very premature, and probably based on 1 or maybe 2 people that have said they think this will happen ro that this is what they want to happen. And then the Mail just ran with it as a decided subject, cause they know the Brits still hate Russia for the football issue a few weeks ago at the EC.

Whatever the IOC does I hoep it at least takes sufficient steps to make sure this can never happen again. Tbh though, I have a feeling the IOC may be as corrupted as the IAAF was and may take half hearted measures, or turn things over to the Sports Federations, in which case they basically say that they are afraid to take the measures needed. Turning things over to the Sports Federations would, in my opinion, mean that the IOC is indeed corrupt and doesn't want to abandon it's cronies.

We'll see what happens though.

Who on earth would want to go to the Rio Olympics anyways?. They have zika virus, open sewers running right into the water near the beach and astronomical crime rates. This Olympics may have ruined the Olympics permanently.