Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Adam and Thage pretending like stigma playing WoW doesn't exist in mainstream society (the real world) is not doing either of you favours. Obviously it depends on where you live and who you hang about with but our experiences cannot be that wildly different unless of course you didn't go to a normal school or a normal university or have a normal job where playing a game like WoW is frowned upon.
    School and Universities are usually full of teenagers and weirdos, I don't associate with such thus I repeat the stigma is limited to the immature

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    a game on a mobile device which promotes walking around and meeting new people face to face
    It also promotes walking into traffic, light posts, or other people walking around minding their own business. I had a kid walk right into me as I was walking into work. Somehow, it was my fault for being in the way. The game isn't all sunshine and roses like people want to think it is. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that more people walk into some kind of harm more often than they make friends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    It also promotes walking into traffic, light posts, or other people walking around minding their own business. I had a kid walk right into me as I was walking into work. Somehow, it was my fault for being in the way. The game isn't all sunshine and roses like people want to think it is. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that more people walk into some kind of harm more often than they make friends.
    TBF people do that regardless of Pokemon Go

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't you find it problematic that there is double standard in what games are socially acceptable to play without being labelled. There is a massive stigma attached to playing games like World of Warcraft especially raiding/lore (pvp not so much) yet a game that is based on a crap kids show has everyone and their mother geeking out.
    Even if there is a stigma about WoW (or any other activity that someone could enjoy and people could be judgemental; a legal/harmless one of course) , why do you care? Why do you have to care what other people think , how you spend your time doing something you like and love? Life is too short to worry about everyone and we need to be a bit more dynamic and confident. It is insane to believe you will be social acceptable by anyone due to the diversity.
    Don't pay attention to negativity , enjoy your everyday life while being positive and if you can do some good and offer help and joy to others, that is all that matters.

Deleted
    Adam and Thage pretending like stigma playing WoW doesn't exist in mainstream society (the real world) is not doing either of you favours. Obviously it depends on where you live and who you hang about with but our experiences cannot be that wildly different unless of course you didn't go to a normal school or a normal university or have a normal job where playing a game like WoW is frowned upon.
    i think this might be the first time ever, and possible only time i ever will agree with shinra. back when i was in school it was socially acceptable to play WoW, half the school played it, but as an adult, both in uni and in work, playing pc games is still seen as 'sad' or generally a bad thing, console gaming seems to be accepted, tell someone you like to play ps4 or xbone and they are fine with that, but say you mainly play pc games, or even mention wow, and you still get weird looks.

obviously everyones experience is different, but that is mine based on working at 5 or 6 different places over the last couple of years and going to two different unis / colleges

i think its because mobile / console gaming are still seen as more casual, relaxed etc, where as pc gaming still has this image of fat nerd screaming at his raid over teamspeak

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    The idea behind the game is, I think, great but I don't think they accounted for human stupidity.

In a workplace, especially one with all ages represented, the stigma of gaming in general still exists. For both WoW and Pokemon Go.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Don't you find it problematic that there is double standard in what games are socially acceptable to play without being labelled. There is a massive stigma attached to playing games like World of Warcraft especially raiding/lore (pvp not so much) yet a game that is based on a crap kids show has everyone and their mother geeking out.
    Er, the stigma with either is about the same. There are many people (usually gamers or those that are friends with gamers) around that support both, some that will only support one over the other, and some that don't support playing any games.

In fact, you will find the same is true for just about any activity. I know people that strongly disapprove of just about any activity from jogging to cosplay...and plenty of people that support those same activities. Heck, I even knew one person that staunchly believed that adults should never use straws for any drinks (she saw it as something only kids should use).

Just shrug your shoulders and move on with your life. If what you are doing isn't hurting anyone, ignore them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    In a workplace, especially one with all ages represented, the stigma of gaming in general still exists. For both WoW and Pokemon Go.
    pokemon go seems to have more stigma than other mobile games, probably just because its a pokemon game which was typically for kids, i see people of all ages in my workplaces playing mobile games, but usually stuff like candy crush or bejeweled,

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    And being mugged, robbed, ambushed , causing car accidents, ect, need links to all the news articles?
    So there's a chance of the above happening while playing Pokemon Go? Kinda like with all activities that involve getting outside, right?

"So here's this new app that makes people get out their butt and go outside; And a lot of people seem to be enjoying it.... How do we spin this and add a fear-mongering layer to this to sell news?"
    Relevant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i think this might be the first time ever, and possible only time i ever will agree with shinra. back when i was in school it was socially acceptable to play WoW, half the school played it, but as an adult, both in uni and in work, playing pc games is still seen as 'sad' or generally a bad thing, console gaming seems to be accepted, tell someone you like to play ps4 or xbone and they are fine with that, but say you mainly play pc games, or even mention wow, and you still get weird looks.

obviously everyones experience is different, but that is mine based on working at 5 or 6 different places over the last couple of years and going to two different unis / colleges

i think its because mobile / console gaming are still seen as more casual, relaxed etc, where as pc gaming still has this image of fat nerd screaming at his raid over teamspeak
    Perhaps its your job surroundings

I haven't experienced a "WOW stigma." I also do not think the Go players are stigma free. I don't know where you live, but they are being mocked in my area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    . Heck, I even knew one person that staunchly believed that adults should never use straws for any drinks (she saw it as something only kids should use).
    oh wow, thought i was the onlu person who met one of these, last year i went for a drink with some friends and friends of friends who i didn't really know, and one of the guys kept mentioning how childish it was that i liked to drink from a straw, was quite baffling just how uptight he was about it, considering i barely even knew him

There is a stigma against Pokemon Go, too. No matter which hobby you care to name, someone will badmouth it because people are judgemental arseholes.

At a certain stage of life, though, most people simply stop caring. If someone wants to slam on my hobbies, I don't give a crap. That says more about them than it does about me. I don't like tattoos but I don't spend my time ragging on people that do; each to their own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Perhaps its your job surroundings
    well its just anecdotes of course, i didnt try to claim that my experience was universal. However i have been in 5 - 6 different workplaces in a few different fields, some tech related, some retail, some catering, and all had the same experience

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    There is a stigma against Pokemon Go, too. No matter which hobby you care to name, someone will badmouth it because people are judgemental arseholes.

At a certain stage of life, though, most people simply stop caring. If someone wants to slam on my hobbies, I don't give a crap. That says more about them than it does about me. I don't like tattoos but I don't spend my time ragging on people that do; each to their own.
    i agree about stop caring, as i mentioned in my post i have seen / faced stigma / comments about both, but i really dont care, everyone has their hobbies. usually the people that make a fuss about pc gaming / wow are the people who's only hobby is watching TV after they get home from work, i'd like to ask one how that hobby is any better than me going home and playing pc games for a few hours

I'm just glad that people that bash WoW are largely unaware on 4 strength 4 stam leather belts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see people shitting on Pokemon Go all the time. Saying that they "need to find a job!!" and such.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's a point where games become too technical for the average Joe to be understood. While being pruned over the years, WoW sits way beyond that point

Who cares what other people think if you are happy and living a healthy life and not hurting anyone with it? Learn to not give as much of a fuck and your life will be a 100x better. This applies to anything in life btw.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I see people shitting on Pokemon Go all the time. Saying that they "need to find a job!!" and such.
    thats been one of the go to insults for a long time over gaming